Look at these crazy things! - Plasmatronics

Yup. Ozone's the problem with plasma speakers (especially full-range ones). I guess that's why the Hill Plasmatronics used helium rather than just ionizing air like the DuKane/EV IonoVac tweeters.

These WERE highly touted by the magazines at that time.

I've told people about those things, and their eyes cross, then they say, "You've GOT to be kidding!"

These have to be.....some of the weirdest damn speakers I've ever seen...just think...if the helium could make them "hover and float" around the room.....that would be really freaky :scratch2: :yes: Rob

Wow, those are strange indeed !!!
I would assume that these would rate pretty low on the WAF list as well... :nono:
I could just imagine a bunch a folks walking out of an audition room speaking like Micky/Minnie Mouse... :nutz:

yamahammer said:
i hope the vocals don't sound like donald duck, or mickey mouse

LOL... ya beat me to it !!!
Missed your post on my first read... apologies Mr. yamahammer.

retrokeeper said:
just think...if the helium could make them "hover and float" around the room.....that would be really freaky :scratch2: :yes: Rob

Yes, but think of the placement variables you'd have... :D

I'm not sure about this, but I remember reading that these require a hell of a lot of electrical power, and that it might be neccessary to upgrade the electrical circuits in your house, and maybe even to it.

I've been toying around with a simple version of a plasma arc tweeter. It is basically the same setup used to make a plasma globe with a 555 timer chip in the circuit and some 10K trimpots to adjust modulation and duration of the spark gap. Don't really know what to expect, but for about $20.00 in parts its been fun so far. I was concerned with the ozone thing myself and glad to hear it brought up here. My Jacobs ladder (same principal) produces alot of ozone and becomes bothersome after a short while. I'm also curious to make a singing Tesla coil.

2DualsNotEnough said:
I dont think youd want to have friends over for a Cigar while listening to these...
BOOOOOOOOOOOM!
Jimmy

Why? :scratch2: Helium isn't particularly flammable/explosive... :no:
And ozone is only flammable if made from pure oxygen... :yes:

Jeff

Last edited:
Alright, let's put our heads together and make a hydrogen powered subwoofer.

We can call our TOTL model "The Hindenburg!" :banana:

heilum is perferctly safe hydrogen sub will blow big time.

I lived in St. Louis for a short time in 1980, heard this at a shop never forgot the sound. The look when the lights were low. Trust me even at that young age I know a ploy when I saw one I wondered why? They sounded so great, why use the light show. If I remember correctly they cost $8,000 and rumors were already starting about reliablity. I will never forget the mids and the highs. I guess that's wht I love the Martin Logans so much. Wish I had the scratch to buy, get that old nostaliga :banana: :music: Even if they did crap out in a month!!

go :smoke: Craig

Reserve not met and bidding on these suckers went to 1434.00!

Wonder what the reserve actually was......

Yank

Isn't there a story about the inventor of this technology being hospitalized from breathing too much ozone at a trade show or some such?

Back
Top Bottom