• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Shipping speakers via FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc

Johncan

Record collector
I would like to list several pair of speakers on Ebay. I have shipped CD players, tape decks, power amps, and receivers. However, I have never shipped speakers before. The speakers range from bookshelf speakers to large floorstanders. How do you speaker sellers pack and ship them? Am I still allowed to charge for packing material on Ebay? I am worried that a $100 pair of speakers may cost $50 to pack.

John
 
Register to hide this ad
Bookshelves up to around a AR 4X can be done in a single box. But anything larger will take 2 so I always double the shipping. It is perfectly acceptable to charge for packing and handeling charges as long as your gear arrives safley and on time. The best move I have made regarding shipping is to open an online account with FedEx. I am saving at least somewhere in the ball park of 50% on frieght cost. My method is to NEVER have a flat/level stackable surface on the top of the box. I always leave a mounded or slanted top surface, so they are less inclined to stack all the other boxes directly on top of my box. It looks like hell, but they always arrive in good condition.
 
It's best to remove the woofers and ship them separately. If the package is dropped with woofers still installed, the impact can bend the basket or break the magnet free from the assembly, etc. Bad news.
 
I have both shipped and received speakers, and the one thing that I would stress is CORNER PROTECTION of some sort. Any speaker over about 25 lb will cut right through bubble wrap or peanuts. The package handlers usually do not pick up heavier stuff, they just drop it, slide it, push it-whatever it takes. The corners of the packages usually get mashed. I got some corner protectors from a cabinet shop and use those on heavier speakers.
 
I've shipped humongous end table-type Jensen speakers and used a UPS store that does their own freight packing (heavy plywood crates). The winning bidder paid over two hundred dollars to have that done & knew it would be a lot. Tower or other smaller speakers usually go via FEDEX Ground on my account which as already said by an AKer, saves mucho dinero. Packing supply warehouses sell corner foam pads, braces, boxes, etc. You could scrounge at warehouse dumpster bins for large boxes and thrown away packing material.
You'll get a bunch of valuable packing/shipping info on this site.
Your eBay feedback on shipping/packing will reflect on how well you pack them babies. Be thorough! :thmbsp:
 
Excellent info guys. I'm paring down my speaker collection. To summarize:

1. Use corner blocks in addition to usual packing material.
2. Remove woofers.
3. Separate boxes for larger speakers.
4. Tell bidder what you are doing a charge for it.

I also dumpster dive for packing materials. Flat styrofoam and corner blocks can be had at furniture stores and usually in quantity.
 
I shipped an 80lb pair of Sansui SP7500X's and used about 2 sheets of 1/2" polystyrene and had very good results. They arrived to their destination with no hiccups. But they are definitely more a pain to ship than "normal" electronics. I agree...gotta get those corners taken care of. Separating the woofers is a good idea if the buyer doesn't mind paying the extra shipping for the safety factor.
 
I've said it before, but believe it is worth repeating. URINAL BOXES! They are often sized and proportioned correctly for midsize speakers (I shipped a pair of Heresies), and they are made to protect a large, heavy and fragile porcelin urinal. Very thick and strong cardboard, and if you use rigid foam inside they end up almost as rigid and sturdy as a wooden crate. The ones I got even had a handhole at each end, further ensuring proper handling by the gorillas. Check with local plumbing shops or contractors who do a lot of commercial work.
 
I've purchased several sets of speakers off of eBay and I'd venture to say that absolutely NONE of them arrived without some sort of damage, usually to a corner. So all of the earlier advice about providing extra protection for the corners should certainly be heeded.

The last set I purchased was an absolutely stunning set of JBL 4312As. These babies were probably about as good a set as you will find anywhere but one left rear bottom corner was pretty much destroyed. That was it for me. I vowed to never again buy a set of speakers from anybody unless I could pick them up in person.

Good luck. I've sold a lot of things on eBay and keeping the customer happy is a real challenge.
 
Back
Top Bottom