Burwin 1201 A Dynamic Noise Filter

bvak

I just recently picked up a Burwin 1201A without a manual. Can anyone tell me how to hook it up. On the back it has RCA connectors for Left and Right Tape Record, Tape Play, Input, & Output.
Thx......

I believe that the easiest way to set it up is to connect the input from the Burwen to your pre-out on your receiver/preamp and hook the output to your main-in on your receiver/amp.

The common method for hookup of outboard devices in the 70s was via the Tape Output/Tape In jacks. This is why you see the labels you do on the Burwen. This way you could switch it in and out of the audio chain from the receiver.

As mentioned earlier, however, you can insert it into the preamp output/input jacks if your receiver or amp has that provision.

This was a very sophisticated device in its day and was pretty cool but quite pricey. Subsequent models improved on the algorithm. Today, there's plenty of software that will do the same thing better in the digital medium.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

This isn't going to help you any, but I thought you might be interested to know that Dick Burwen's been in hi-fi for a long, long time. He once set up a modest little home system that's interesting to read about.
http://scrounge.org/speak/burwen/

controlroom.jpg

amps.jpg

The 1201A is a great unit to have. There are the 3 pushbutton Signal Processing switches on the front panel – besides OUT) but there is a good trick to using them. You can either use them singly or in combination by depressing any two together. This allows many more combinations to select the bandwidth for noise reduction. It works well on tapes or vinyl. The neat feature of these is it only provides processing when the noise threshold is audible. You can adjust the processing by ear.

Burwen = genious in the HIFi realm. He was buddies with Henry Kloss. The 1201A is excellent, so is the pop & click machine, which I own (forget the model number). Best pop & click machine ever. Wayyyy better than SAE 5000 series, blows it outta the water.

I'd make sure the volume knob is all the way down before trying it out -- there are an awful lot of parts in those things, and some might have gone bad, and you don't want to fry your speakers. Actually having the volume down is always a good idea with all new equipment.

I have mine wired into the tape loop, as any other signal processor. I like it, it even he;ps with older records.

Back
Top Bottom