• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Sansui SP-X9000 speakers any good?

Arkay

Lunatic Member
Today I found a pair of Sansui SP-X9000 speakers, which intrigued me. They have six drivers: a huge 16 inch woofer, an 8 inch mid, 2 horn tweeters and two supertweeters. Probably what many here would call "Kabuki" speakers. :D They even have the high-WAF wooden grill (grille in UK-speak!) fronts.

For reference, there are pics and specs of them at:
http://www.sansui.us/images/Speakers/SP_XSeries/spx9000_1.jpg
http://www.sansui.us/images/Speakers/SP_XSeries/spx9000_3.jpg
http://www.sansui.us/images/Speakers/SP_XSeries/spx9000_4.jpg

Those pics came off of this page:
http://www.sansui.us/SP_XSeries.htm

I haven't bought these, but I'm thinking of going back tomorrow and getting them. I've passed up a lot of grill-fronted Sansuis before, but these somehow looked more impressive than the others I've seen, and they appear to be in very good shape. I'm just a little skeptical of what they might sound like, because of past "kabuki" threads here.

Has anyone HEARD these particular speakers play? Are they any good? I'm probably going to pick up a 9090 later this week, and wondered how these might match with that, since they are both Sansui, so if anyone has tried that particular combo, I'd appreciate comments, too.
 
Register to hide this ad
I haven't tried the exact combo you describe, but ran a pair of SP-X9900 with my G-22k and wasn't impressed for too long.

Depending on what you listen to and how loud, the sui's were fine for loud rock & roll but at low volume the base was muddy IMO.

If you can snag a pair cheap, go for it. They bring a good price on the auction block.
 
Very nice sounding speakers. Been listening to a pair in the store and enjoy them. Very solid bass at low levels. Definitely bright with all those tweeters, though. Haven't decided what to ask for them, but also in no big hurry to sell them.....

BTW, I really don't care for Japanese speakers, but do give credit where credit is due.

Cheers
Lee
 
Have owned these speakers for 28 years. Very efficient at 100 dB/1 Watt. The bass is somewhat lacking for a 16" woofer but the horn tweeters and super tweeters are very crisp and detailed. The woofer surrounds do not wear out like foam ones. Not the best sounding speakers in the world, but also not deserving of the bad "kabuki" rap, either. :)
 
Thanks for the input, guys. Decided to get the 9090 today, but may pass on the speakers. Could get them just to listen to and satisfy my curiosity, but with limited space for keeping speakers I'd probably just end up selling them soon, anyway. I think I'll wait for something definitely superior to come along. Thanks again! :thmbsp:
 
Sansui SP-X9000

I just picked up a pair of these this weekend. I've compared them to my Sansui S-57s (my favorite speakers for small room - low to mid volume listening), and a pair of Teac S-707's.

The SP-X9000's are very efficient, but do lack ultra low end, despite their 16" woofers. The mids and Highs are great. In fact, when listening to a piano or acoustic guitar track, it sounds lick the artist is in the room with you.

The 9000's seem to be really great for guitar/vocal driven music from the 60's and 70's, but if you like industrial/goth/metal/rap/soul, etc., I would not recommend that you use these speakers exclusively.

They are loud and will overpower less efficient speakers, if you're running more than one pair simultaneously. They blend pretty well with my S-57s, but are a bit louder.

I would not use these, if I could only run one pair of speakers.
 
I bought my SPX 9000 speakers new as a match to my CA & BA 2000 pre & power amps. I have been amazed by how efficient they are, and how loud they can be. The BA power amp controls give me an ability to fine tune the volume so they work well with my Rotel amp and Klipsch Heresey speakers. I agree that for a 16 inch woofer it seems to lack sub woofer quality base. Overall I'm pleased with them.
 
Back
Top Bottom