Sony mystery Receiver ?....any info

The STR-11 is part of the "11" system (called Studio) made of separates but mainly meant to be sold together. 1978 vintage ; Europe saw the STR-11L, the US the STR-11S.
ST-11, TA-11, TC-11 made the set (plus the SU-11 rack) ; the STR-11 is the rarest of these low-end but cute units.

I believe it's from 1978. It has 30 WPC (IEC at 0,7% distortion), so it's not a monster.

oh, hey, look, it's Axel! Good to see ya, sir!

What an international thread this is already!

(unfortunately I know nothing about the item in question so I have, sadly, no useful contribution to make to this thread -- thanks for your patience!)

I guess you all noticed the engraving on the frontplate... I really hate when they do that...and on the frontplate!!! :tears:

Aha......... I have an ST-11 which is the Tuner on its own. Not much to look at but effective enough. Thanks for that info Axel.

My Sony STR-11S

G'day All,

I know this thread is a bit old but just for archive purposes, I'll tell yer a bit about my STR 11S.

I've had the STR-11S in my possession now for 2 months and have loved it. That said its only my second Solid State from the 70's first being the Sanyo DCX8000K which until I get a second set of speakers is all alone not being used. I can't help but feel that the SANYO is better some how, just not sure yet.

Comparing the two sets the SONY is slightly smaller and the lights of the dials and indicates are not as bright as the SANYO which is a good and bad thing. One of the things I loved about the SANYO was that it was bright and its Frequency Dial was a nice green colour, so the light out it a dream to see all lit up.

Both sets have PHONO and TAPE / AUX inputs which allows me to have my Record player connect and also the ICOM R75 / Kenwood R1000 to be piped through it making SW listening more enjoying with handle both weak and strong stations.

The SONY has SW1 and SW2 bands, but since I pipe the other professional receivers through I do not use it much, but with just 10ft of thin wire strung up round the room, I was pulling a lot of stations with good clear signals. The only down side with the SW feature is the dial is not very fine so you have to really lightly spin / nudge the dial else you can skip right over the station you wanted.

But like I said earlier I love the quality of music I'm getting from the FM band. There are a stack of community stations near / not so near and play everything I like from the early 1930's up to 1990's (such QBN-FM, 2XX, ART-FM), I skip any station that plays doof doof nonsensical music.

While on the topic of FM listening with the STR-11S, I tried the length of wire in 75ohm and 300ohm, Rabbit ears, the dipole folded loop and they failed to pull in QBN-FM with enough singal to run in Stereo mode. I was going mad, and after reading about the J-POLE / single loop antenna design home build projects from this forum I was set on building the J-POLE (Which I'm still thinking about for the sake of it) but saw Dick Smith Electronics (Rat Shack equiv) had discontinued stock of the 3 element yagi outdoor FM antenna for AUD$ 20. I was a bit iffy but I bought one, assembled it and is hanging vertically of a light fitting in the dinning room (Should see the wifes face :D) and I finally got 3/5 on the signal bar for QBN-FM :music: and most of the other stations range from 3-5 signal so as I sit here typing I'm listening to great quality jazz from 2XX and a fine number from I believe Gale Kingston :thmbsp:.

Well there's my two-bobs worth about the STR-11S :yes:

Cheers
Mark

Attachments

• dcx8000k.jpg
    dcx8000k.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom