Thoughts on this console?

Trust me on this. In all likelihood, this console is NOT as nice as the vendor says.

I would politely ask for proof of condition, specifically, evidence of prior service. Look for treatment of switches and controls with Caig DeoxIT or similar. Look for cleaning/lubrication services on the changer and 8 track.

Does the changer have a new stylus? Does the 8track have a new drive belt?

If the seller alleges that the unit is forty years old, and nothing whatsoever has gone wrong with the machine, be VERY suspicious.

I have at least one eBay machine a week walk into my store with a customer attached, where the seller alleged "good as new" or similar, but when the buyer actually got the item, it was very obviously malfunctioning.

Best,

Fred Longworth

Fred, thanks for the informative answer. I've been collecting for awhile (mostly into Zenith tubies) and am battle hardened!

To be honest, I could care less if the turntable or 8-track worked, as I'm only interested in the tuner/radio functions. I do understand however, it is better if everything works. I'd prefer that at the price.

The only problem is, if did buy I'd have to move the Zenith console I have now...the more I consider that, the less attractive the bigger set looks.

Still, does anyone have specs on this monster? Check the speaker louvers! Damn!

Heres a pic of my 68 Zenith with the louvered doors, without the t.v. It has the am/fm tuner and turntable in it that works great. It has 3-ways with 12 in. woofers. Horn mid and paper tweet. Sounds great. Been in the family since brand new. Couldn't stand to toss it out. Moved it around many years and it is a absolute T-A-N-K.

Attachments

• P1010002a.JPG
    P1010002a.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 143
Thanks for the look, I know they are boat anchors, but I'm really hung up on this stuff. I'll probably pass on this unit, for that kind of coin I'd like to look at it in person before making the trip.

I had my Zenith console stuffed with my JCM-900 tube combo in the T.V. cutout and it fit like it was made for it. I have a pic online somewhere or will get it there, but it was neat. Never really pictured it with a nice smoked glass on it with equipment in there. I'll go see if my 1980 fits. Naw, you want to show that one right?
Sounds like you'll get it there before you know it.
Merry Christmas

Back
Top Bottom