Infinity RSe Score!

Scorpion8

Addicted Member
Well, sometimes ya just gotta be persistent. I saw these this summer at a yard sale, but they were packaged with a cheezy cheap audio system and the guy wouldn't sell them separately. He wanted too much to buy them both and trash the sytem, so I left them there with my number if he changed his mind.

Well, have off work today (State holiday) so I was bumming around and decided to stop in and see the guy a few months later. Turns out he still had them, and was now willing to let them go without the trash accompaniment.

Infinity Reference Standard RSe speakers. Haven't hooked them up yet, but they appear to be in pretty good shape overall. The wood has some dings and they need to be refoamed, but that's about the extent of it. $30 for the pair.

attachment.php

attachment.php

So, anybody know how thick the walnut is before I tackle getting the dings out of the cabinets?

Nice grab at a good price :thmbsp:

I would bet the veneer is about as paper thin as most, go lightly by hand would be your best bet.

Man I wish I'd find some smaller Infinities :tears:

Trust me I've been looking :D

Well, I've owned a set of Infinity RS 1.5's since college (circa 1982 .... had to counter my roomate's ARs) and have always wanted a smaller set of virtually the same thing. I cringed passing these up the first time, but turned out to be a better score this way.

Speakers

I know Orion Audio is not the Gospel. They list for $45 used, and $26 wholesale mint. They look nice though.

SuperFeedFwd said:
Yes, that is correct. Introduced in 1980 along with the RSb and RSa.
Cool. I picked up a pair of all-original Qe's in excellent condition last weekend at a yard-sale for the princely sum of $15. All they needed was a couple of fuses and they sound awesome.

I hooked these uptoday to check out the EMITs as they tend to be a weak spot. Both of them are functioning fine, but one woofer made no sound. So I removed the woofer and one wire lead had come off the terminals. As I was putting that back I noticed the lead had broken off the crossover at some point.

Question: is it worth it to re-cap these now before I go much further? Does anyone have a crossover schematic for the RSe's? I jumpered the woofer lead and the woofer plays fine, besides needing to be refoamed. It appears as if the hot melt blue used to hold the crossover chokes in place dried out (?) as both the chokes are hanging by their leads, and there are big flat "donuts" of hot melt glue where the chokes used to be.

Any thoughts on re-capping the crossovers or technical schematics help would be appreciated.

Gawd, I love this place. You ask a question, post it, and somebody answers you asap. It's amazing. I love this place!!!!

Now, one item. The PDF of the RSe crossover looks nothing like what's inside my cabinet. The link above has a crossover that shows 1 cap, 1 choke, and one EMIT L-pad. The pic below shows the photo inside my cabinet. The crossovers appear original, as they are stapled to the inside of the cabinet and show no signs of alteration. But in the pic I see 3 caps, two chokes, 2 resistors, and the EMIT L-pad. The two chokes have fallen off their hot-melt glue mountings, and you can see the places where they were glued at. Oh, and a big honking transformer. That doesn't show on the schematic either.

InfinityRSECrossover01Spkr2.jpg

Any ideas? I'm a little stumped.

I think they're the same. I have a c1980 Infinity brochure that says RSe and the "e" is demoted like a subscript font. Same as is done on the RSa and RSb. However, if you go to the tech support side of Infinities Home Audio website, their pulldown list only says RSE, RSA, RSB, etc. I've never seen another Infinity speaker labeled as RSE. But as in this format, I can't make the font go subscript.

Scorpion8,

I can't see any picture with your post. Does it show up when you view the post?

From what you say, it sure seems like overkill to have a more complicated xover than shown in the schematic for a two way speaker.

I quess Infinity could have changed it later on in the production run. Hope someone else posts with the answer. Your picture of the speakers match those on the infinity-classics site from what I can see. Is the rear connector plate the same as the pics here? Says RSe. Notice that the schematic shows RSE though.

http://www.infinity-classics.de/infinity/models/Reference-series-1978-klein/RS-e/body_rs_e.html

Huh. Shows up fine for me. I put the attachment back so it can be viewed if the in-line pic doesn't appear.

Now tell me that doesn't look more complicated than the simple 2-way crossover implied.....

My wife picked up a pair about a month ago at a yard sale. New foam is here so I opened these up.

Attachments

• RSe 002.jpg
    RSe 002.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 238
  • RSe 004.jpg
    RSe 004.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 206
Yea, looks like the same crossover, altho your chokes didn't fall off their hot melt glue mounts like mine did.

I don't know anything about electronics. So whats the big white cylinder on yours and you have two yellow things and I have only one.

The large white cyclinder is marked 6.8k 100V so I assume it's a large blocking resistor. The two yellow cyclinders are capacitors. Oddly enough, mine are label 2.5uFD and 6.0uFD. In series, that would make 8.5uFD and the crossover diagram shows a 9.5uFD capacitor there.

But both the two (2) large inductors are labeled as 0.2mH and the crossover diagram shows one (1) inductor at 0.1mH.

Hence, my profound confusion. I have sent all of this to Infinity tech support and am awaiting their reply. The crossover diagram shows no transformer (top of pic), shows the L-pad for the EMIT tweeter but not the in-line fuse, does not show any of the network of caps and resistors in the woofer circuit.

Yea, I'm confused.

Scorpion8,

Sure looks like a mess. The only thing that does look ok, if my schematic reading is ok, is that the transformer you are refering to is actually the 0.1 mH iron core inductor shown on the schematic. The rest.... :dunno:

Looks like someone decided the simple schematic was broke and had to fix it. :screwy:

Hope you get an answer from Infinity. They've been pretty good so far on some enquiries I've made.

Ah hell, make it look like the schematic and see what happens.......what's the worst that can happen ?? :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom