TU-719 tuning pointer adjustment question.

Robisme

Sansui Enthusiast
I picked up a TU-719 tuner. It is in great condition and works great. The digital display is spot on. The problem is the dial pointer is off by about half an inch. On most tuners or receivers I could loosen the screws that hold the wheel to the gangs and turn it. This can't do that. I have the service manual and it onlt talks about replacing a broken string. It looks like I have to remove the pointer from the string and move it. It's glued and looks like a pain. Has anyone done this or have any advice?

Thanks.

Rob

I move the pointers on the receivers all the time. It's not that bad. If the 719 is like the pointers on the receivers, just raise the little tabs a little and unhook the string from one tab. That gives enough slack to slide the pointer on the string.

-Pete

The digital read out will always be right on. I've spent hours trying to get the pointer to read exactly what the read out does. Almost impossible across the entire dial. Look at the alignment proceedure in the manual. Say to adjust the Osc trimmer at 98Mhz and the set the AFC voltage to 7 volts with the test point grounded. Do the trimmer first and don't touch the AFC unless its dial is way off, If you get it within one or two dial marks arcoss the dail, call it good.

Part the problem on these tuner is the the gears and wheel on the front end are sloppy, once its close you can go back and forth and get it to read right on.

X

Thanks. I do have the service manual. I do not see the part you mention.
There is a section for "98mhz dial calibration". Says to set the pointer with the tuning knob to 98mhz then adjust TCa4 so the display indication shows 98mhz. Does this sound like the proceedure? I have moved the dial pointer before in other units also, but this one is glued. The tabs do not bend over the string to hold it.
I didn't want to adjust TCa4 before checking here first. I hate to screw it up. Thought there may be another way.

Rob

Punker X said:
Part the problem on these tuner is the the gears and wheel on the front end are sloppy, once its close you can go back and forth and get it to read right on.
X

I just checked this. There is absolutely no slop in the gears. As I barely move the tuning knob the pointer moves also. Back and forth with no lag.

I have only used this tuner in the test area and so far it appears to out perform just about every tuner I have tried. Maybe not the Nikko Gamma.
With a simple antenna (the same one I always use) It pulls stations in with ease.

Rob

I have a Pioneer SX-3700 which has both a digital and analog display. To synchronize them I loosened the screw on the wheel that moves the gangs and then aligned the pointer with the digital display at various points on the FM scale. Could not get it perfect but got it close enough, within a couple of hash marks.

the wheel is on a "d" shaped post. no adjusting there. I think I shall use the procedure I described earlier.

Rob

The proceedure I mentioned earlier worked. I set the dial pointer to 98 with the tuning knob and then adjusted TCa4. It was that easy.:yes:

Rob

Attachments

• 100_0574.JPG
    100_0574.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom