I saw a Realistic Amp with 12 watts power consumption today

dinglebeer

It's got by far the least power consumtion that I've ever personally seen. It must weigh 1 pound at the very most, I'm kinda curious what it's output would be. It only had RCA outputs or I might have bought it just for the heck of it. If I can figure out how to use standard speakers with it I may go back and get it. Edit: It's an SA-10, looked it up.

Last edited:
Kind of cool!
Sounds like fun to me.

Yes, just splice some speaker wire into some RCA connectors. Center pin is positive and outer ring is ground.

Enjoy and please post images if you can get it.

Seems to me that amplifiers are around 50-60% efficient. If it requires 12 watts it probably puts out about 6.

If it's an early version of the SA-155, which I think it is, it puts out 2wpc. I've got one of these. They normally sell for $24 to $44.

For speaker wire, I went to an Autozone automotive store, and bought automotive speaker wire (beefy and quality), that had RCA cables attached both ends. I bought the 20' foot length, for $6.99, then cut it in half, for two 10' lengths. That left me with two 10' lengths with RCas at one end, bare wire at the other. Worked just fine.

These are fairly common and make for decent computer amps and mate well with the Minimus 7s. They also had a mini-tuner.

The Minimus 7s will work well enough with them, and are a great match in physical size, but a pair of newish polk R-15s are much more efficient, and play and sound better with them. I own both speakers, and have given it a whirl.

It's a fun little amp.

Not as good as the Sonic T amps, but then again, the Sonic T amps aren't "vintage" cool either.

Paul is right I have a SA-155 (mine is badged Optimus) hooked up to my internet computer and running into an unknown pair of small radio shack speakers. I do have a pair of the little Polk's but I think I might be able to sneek them into the living room. So I'm holding them back LOL

Realistic Concert Master

While we are looking at Realistic, here is an interesting Realistic Concert Master receiver. 38 watts from the wall, power house ! The neat thing is the round dial and the very nice walnut veneer cabinet.

Last edited:
I've got one of those, but only one channel is working. Haven't opened her up to see if it's something simple.

Take care,

Ed

Reminds me of the insides of the Sonic, though the sonic is a little more filled.

Definately not a power house.

A good amp for your cramped computer desk, or small bedside table, or to take along with you when testing speakers, or maybe in a suitcase when travelling and staying in fleabag motels.

Figure, if that box of air can make 2 wpc, stuff with "guts" in 'em are really big powerhouses.

picked me up a sa-150 for 9.99 the other day i will take it over to my ma's house and get back my t-amp from her house that i hooked a 5 disc cd changer to it for here to listen to her cd's all day long

Well, I went back and bought it today. I tried it at the store on one some little ghettoblaster speakers that had rca connections.Sounded ok, will try better speakers after I get those car wires mentioned above, thx for the tip. Now I don't have to cannabilize my RCA's. I'll put up a pick if I can dig up my digicam.

d3imlay said:
Seems to me that amplifiers are around 50-60% efficient. If it requires 12 watts it probably puts out about 6.

Really? Shat! Someone had told me that it was between 25-30% (I never bothered checking). I hate it when folks give me incorrect info. I'm stupid enough without it. Some people's kids...:tears:

Jeff

The a safe estimate for rms output is about 25 - 30% efficient. It will depend on whether you are talking about a power amp, integrated or receiver and also what generation of design.

Brian said:
The a safe estimate for rms output is about 25 - 30% efficient. It will depend on whether you are talking about a power amp, integrated or receiver and also what generation of design.

Thanks! I feel better now knowing I wasn't 'lied' to, lol.:D

Jeff

I had plenty of those, with the little matching tuners. They make great kids first stereo systems, and more than one kid on this block got theirs from here.

While they're cuter than shit, the 2w is at about 2% THD. Barely listenable.

STA-16 - 40 watt consumption(Max.) , 1.5 wpc !! No kidding I got it not working from a flea market for one dollar. It actually has a great sound to it, and it must be early because everything from the outputs to the phono stage is all discrete. I matched it with some disposable-type combo speakers, I don't think it would even power my Minimus 7's but maybe?

Back
Top Bottom