I just bought an Onkyo P303 preamp.

theophile

Pheasant Plucker
Subscriber
Now before anyone thinks I've suddenly developed a dislike to my newly acquired EW modified Kenwood 700C.

NO WAY.:no:

I take an interest in posts which talk about the quality of phono-stages within solid-state vintage preamps(Japanese especially).So I quietly took note of the following post about the Onkyo P303 a little while back.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=154477&postcount=14

I've looked around for one for a while now,and haven't seen one anywhere.I've seen lots of P304s,but no P303s.Well I saw one for sale yesterday,and I took the plunge and bought it.
I haven't heard a P303,but the P304 has some very complimentary consumer reviews at ecoustics.com.
My philosophy is;I can only rely on another person's opinion up to a point,but in order to come to a firm conclusion I have to have direct first-hand experience.If I had a friend with an endless supply of vintage gear I could possibly borrow the items I'm interested in,in order to obtain that direct experience.Since such a person isn't in my circle of friends,I have no recourse but to purchase in order to satisfy my curiosity.
I made the commitment to purchase about 3 hours ago,and am now waiting for the unit to be sent.
I'll keep you all informed.:smoke:
PS Just watched the Aussies slaughter the Poms in a one day cricket game.:banana:

Hello Steve !

Have you received the Onkyo ? is everything OK with it ? :scratch2:
Are you pleased with its sound ?
Just let it run in for a while before judging.
Thank you very much.

My warmest regards,

beppe

beppe,
The Onkyo hasn't arrived yet.I'll post you a PM when I leave my impressions of the unit(well run-in,of course).

theophile said:
beppe,
The Onkyo hasn't arrived yet.
I'll post you a PM when I leave my impressions of the unit (well run-in,of course).

Thank you very much Steve !
I wish you all the best with your new purchase.:thmbsp:
My warmest regards,:D

beppe:music:

Orion sez the P-303 is from 1977-82 and retailed for $410.
I haven't heard Onkyo preamps, but have had three Onkyo receivers from that era. Very nice preamp sections, nice phono sections.
I, too, will be interested in your thoughts.
My first power amps were Onkyos, the M-5160 & M-5140.

I just bought a P303 also, on the strength of the same recommendation from Hadrian333!
Should arrive in a few days. Will post update then.

So how did the preamp turn out? I am interested in the P-303 and would love to hear how your experience went.

So how did the preamp turn out? I am interested in the P-303 and would love to hear how your experience went.

I'm not certain to whom you were posing your question,nor am I aware of whether you are already familiar with the following post,but I'm certain that others who come across this thread may wish to read the linked thread started by myself.Of extreme interest are the posts by the designer of the Onkyo P-303,Mister Tom Ishimoto:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=105181&highlight=onkyo

Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom