Smallest integrated amplifier?

RCA made the model SA-155 which is a 2 watt intgrated with pretty much full features (tone control rather then seperate bass treble) including a phono section it's only 2.75" t x 6.0" deep and just 9.25" across the front. Also sold under the Optimus and Realistic and maybe Radio Shack lables

I'm using mine right now with my computer.

i have the sa -150 amp and the tuner tm-150 that went with it i am giving it them to my mother so i get my sonic t-amp back from her 1 spent 20 .00 4 for both of them wow 1400 posts prolly only 20 of them helpful so you are a lucky person

Prolly my EV 1179 receiver is up there among the leaders... if really looking for just an integrated amp, the EV 1144 built on the same chassis (I believe that TA has or had one as part of his 'fly away' mini-system).

attachment.php

attachment.php

Don't know about tuner, but smallest integrated has to be the Sonic T-Amp.

Second might be one of Musical Fidelity's smaller offerings. And they do have a tuner offered (or will) in the current line.

I do recall in the 1970s a couple of small integrated amps in the Radio Shack catalog (and seeing them in the store too :D ).

Is the Sonic T smaller than the Radio Shack 150, later called the 155?

The 155 tuner is tiny as well. That reminds me, I need to pick one up from a kind AKer, and send it to my good friend Herbman.

I betcha the Sonic T amp could be repackaged into a smaller case, but I do wonder which one is smaller- the 150 (155), or the T.

I have a 155 around here somewhere.

Pics of the 155- which is basically a later model 150.

About the size of a hotel bible. Maybe even a hair smaller.

Attachments

• 894e_1.JPG.jpg
    894e_1.JPG.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 59a8_1.JPG.jpg
    59a8_1.JPG.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 138
Smallest REAL intergrated amp I've seen is my Aiwa A-60 (30 WPC RMS). It's a little TANK that's layered inside with pcbs like a baklava.

attachment.php

Paul,

I think the 155 is about the same size, but I think the Aiwa is much more powerful (and pricier to buy).

The Aiwa is also a bit more full-featured.

The 150/155 has tone control instead of separate bass/treble controls, and uses RCA jack plugs on the back of the unit.

I think the best thing about the "original" Sonic T is the fact it can be run off batteries, I think. fellas? Can it?

The worst thing about the Sonic T, to me? I really don't like the looks.

Attachments

• sonic-t-class-amp.jpg
    sonic-t-class-amp.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 54
Here is the small Bryston, which is an excellent piece. http://www.bryston.ca/b60_m.html

When I went through a downsize in the early 90's I bought the previous model, the R-60. An excellent amp. Not as small as some of these listed, but is a 'high-end' unit. They generally sell used on Audiogon for $500+, depending on whether it has a remote and/or phono-stage. Nice thing about its full width/depth is that there are any number of decent tuners/TTs/CDPs that are about the same height that match up with it.

thedelihaus said:
I think the best thing about the "original" Sonic T is the fact it can be run off batteries, I think. fellas? Can it?

The worst thing about the Sonic T, to me? I really don't like the looks.

Yes. It uses AA batteries (eight of 'em, as I recall). I set up a portable system using it with some Klipsch Industrial Heresy speakers. Very impressive!

p61600017if.jpg

As for looks, the SI Super-T looks really nice, but for 5X the price ($139).

mea2112 said:
Any idea who made the smallest integrated amplifier/tuner combination?

Don't know about the smallest receiver, but Sony made the highend Precise P7 line of separates, one of which was a rather small integrated amp with 50wpc that was about 2"x10"x9".

Looking for a high end small footprint unit? Read on!

"Footprint-conscious people don't buy high-end, high-end people unfortunately don't buy Sony and design-conscious people still have a crush on B&O." - the Vintage Knob

mlhm5 said:
Don't know about the smallest receiver, but Sony made the highend Precise P7 line of separates, one of which was a rather small integrated amp with 50wpc that was about 2"x10"x9".

The Aiwa S-50 (25 WPC) was a pretty nice little receiver... at least mine is.

aiwas507pj.jpg

Just won this on Ebay this week, can't find any info about it. Kenwood KA-2000 10"x9"x4.5" and weighs about 10#.

Attachments

• kenwood1.jpg
    kenwood1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 118
Thanks for all the input guys! I need something for a small bedroom so it looks like any of those would work well. Just have to make up my mind now.

Not an integrated really but kinda. I am jamming on my little Electro Voice EV 1278 right now. 18 of the loudest watts per channel you'll find in a small package. Front is 16" across by 10 1/4" deep by 3 1/4" tall. I really like it. It's going on my bench along w/ the a/d/s L300's for when I'm tinkerin' on stuff.

ev1.jpg

ev2.jpg

ev3.jpg

Yamaha B-2 said:
Here is the small Bryston, which is an excellent piece. http://www.bryston.ca/b60_m.html

When I went through a downsize in the early 90's I bought the previous model, the R-60. An excellent amp. Not as small as some of these listed, but is a 'high-end' unit. They generally sell used on Audiogon for $500+, depending on whether it has a remote and/or phono-stage. Nice thing about its full width/depth is that there are any number of decent tuners/TTs/CDPs that are about the same height that match up with it.

What a beauty there Y B-2!

This is the smallest non portable amp I ever remember seeing, the Realistic SA-10. Although if you're expecting some power it's not it at all lol. 'Perfect stereo "starter" -- use it in den, office, children's systems.' I had to highlight that line. :p:
attachment.php

No matching tuner for that, but the SA-101 has a matching tuner TM-101 and a slightly larger footprint at 3.25x9.25x7 inches.

Attachments

• Radio_Shack_Catalog_1975_014_SA-10.jpg
    Radio_Shack_Catalog_1975_014_SA-10.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 506
Back
Top Bottom