Recommended Marantz Receiver

bluesman1960

hey Guys, I have the itch to get back into a classic Marantz receiver. I've been out of the loop a bit so I need advice on a choice. What are the better sounding, more reliable Marantz receivers still available? I'm driving some DefTech powered monitors that don't need tons of power. What do I need to be aware of? Suggestions and or comments most appreciated.

jasong said:
I vote for the 2285B. :D
the 2285B is 85 watts per channel, which may be more than you need. Other good models from than "silver dial" line are the 2216B,2226B,2238B,2252B,2265B. The last two #'s in each indicate the amount of W.P.C. (eg 2226B is 26 wpc.) Great line of receivers. Good luck!:thmbsp:

I love my 2285B but also like the 2275, 2235, 2235B and the 2220B that I own. The 2285B is my main one though. I have 2275 x 2 but they are currently out of the rotation.

You can't go too far wrong with any of the 22XX series. The "B" ones are later models, with some modifications. Faceplate/dial appearance varies: in general, the "B" series have a silver dial, and the earlier models have a black/blue dial area.

As mentioned, the higher the last two digits, the higher the power. Once you get over 100 watts/channel, the numbers become 23XX (2325, 2330, 2330B, 2385) and yet above those are the rare and costly 2500 and 2600. In general, the higher the number, the more expensive the receiver.

You can find some pictures and details of all of the receivers at: http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html
and some more inforrmation at:
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

Also, search this site using the model number of any model you are considering; a lot of people have posted opinions here about a lot of the models, and also useful tips on common repairs, etc...

Good luck and enjoy that Marantz sound! :music: :thmbsp:

Thanks

Great advise and most appreciated. 2270's seem to be fairly easy to find. Would you suggest sticking with the B silver face series?

If you don't need the power...don't spend the money.
You can find a 30wpc Marantz 2230 receiver, in good working condition, for under $100......I did ($70).
A Marantz 2270 receiver will run you 3X more.
Just my opinion....good luck in your search!!
Steve

A 2265B is a great medium. 65wpc RMS into 8ohm with a damping factor of 55 with no more than 0.05% TOD at 20Hz-20KHz, and 1/3 the price of a 2285B. :)

I'll only speak from experience(as we all should and not speculate)

My 2265 is a very nicer receiver. It is beautiful to look at and sounds very nice(even though it needs some service). I kept it over the older more powerful 2270. It seamed to have a bit better low end response than the 2270.

I have only heard 4 different 22xx models and all four sounded excellent and looked even better.

Another vote for the 2265 here.

The 2270 seems to be a "hot favorite" on "that auction site", probably in large part due to another site with a lot of reviews of it (favorable ones, of course!). The review site doesn't review the 2265/B, 2275, 2285/B, etc...(except for a few mentions UNDER the heading of the 2270!) though, which are also great-sounding units. I'm just speculating on the reason, but something seems to have given the 2270 a "special boost" on its price. If you can get one cheap, then grab it, but otherwise I'd suggest looking at the less-popular models that will probably give you similarly good sound for less money. I can't say that from first-hand knowledge, as I don't have a 2270, but I do have the 2275 and 2285B, as well as a number of lower-powered models. I don't think any one of them has an even remotely disappointing sound, not even the lowly 2215; just some models are a little bit sweeter-sounding than others. :no: :D

The lower-powered ones in the series that are particularly favored seem to be the 2216B, 2220, 2230, 2238B (perhaps the 2245, also) --but probably every model in the series has its fans. You can't go too far wrong with any of them.

The "B" models tend to be improved versions that corrected problems or weaknesses in earlier (non-B) models and also incorporated improvements made in designs/technologies, so they are probably preferable. They seem to sell for a little more than their non-B predecessors, too. Opinions vary on which look best, though; some prefer non-B's; others prefer B-types.

Thanks, I meant to say 2265B on ebay. I'm leaning towards a 2285B or 2265B. If anyone out there wants to part with one, I'm listening. I got a near perfect 2325 for my girlfriend and have been bit again by vintage Marantz. While stationed in Berlin, GE 1978-1981 I got my first "dream" system. A Marantz 2225 receiver, Dual TT and marantz HD 66 speakers. I was in audio heaven. I then got a 6370Q TT that I wish I had back, sigh.

If you got the money,look for a nice 2325, money in the bank, but I think the best sounding low power one is the 2245. I have had two 2270's, my favorite back in the day, but since I have had a chance to listen to many nowadays thanks to E-bay, I like the ones I mentioned the best.
Like the man said, you can't go too far wrong with any of them..(as long as it has that blue glow..)

They are all good. The 2230 is a little underpowered, the 2245 is a good cost/power compromise and anything above is good to go. I'd stick with any of the 2XXX B or non-B Marantz receivers. The SR-XXXX were made as Marantz started to slide.

I agree on the 2245 I've also had the 2010, 2215,2220, 2230 and 2265 and my all time favorite for sound quality is the 2245. It's also easy enough to find one in very good to mint condition.

The 2265B that you are considering is a wonderful model. It's in the middle-hi spot in the line up. And it's packed with hi-end features. And it sounds great.

If you're considering $400 or so you might look for a 2275 in a woodcase instead. All the other models mentioned are also great representatives of the Marantz sound and quality. You can't go wrong with any of the 22xx or 23xx series.

If you want to really crank it up you should start aroung 2245 and up.

Good luck!

No one seemed to pick up on your speakers owned. Powered Monitors? Def-whatevers may or may not do what you intend with a Marantz at the helm
and in my opinion, IF they are are what i think they are you need a Marantz model that has pre -outs so you can drive them. Gives you the knobs. That is not really what a Marantz is for but will do the job better than most.

A few more pennies of thought

bluesman1960 said:
hey Guys, I have the itch to get back into a classic Marantz receiver. I've been out of the loop a bit so I need advice on a choice. What are the better sounding, more reliable Marantz receivers still available? I'm driving some DefTech powered monitors that don't need tons of power. What do I need to be aware of? Suggestions and or comments most appreciated.

Good luck getting any concenses with this bunch:music:

The one agreement will likely be that the 22XX or 22xxB series is preferred.

For me - I think that the 2230 is the easiest listening of them all. That may be due to the system I have - I don't know.

I like the 2270, too, but it tends to be a little harsher on the top end. The 2245 is the exact same receiver - just has a smaller power transformer (and some other minor differences - like the heatsink size around the drivers). I've seen 2245's with a 2270 transformer and they end up with over 70 watts a channel that way (sometimes Marantz ran out of parts and substituted).

So - you can't go wrong with about anything in that series.

The 2270 is currently selling at premium on that auction site. I know - I sold one recently for about $1K. It was worth that - every penny.

DH

Back
Top Bottom