JVC JR S600 SEA receiver score

steelhead97

I picked this up this weekend at the flea market and it was heavy for $30. Peaking under the grill i can see a huge transformer, I don't know anything about this model. Can anyone comment on the specs? The transformer size is on par with the sansui G8000, G9000. It sounds pretty good and has an excellent tuner section. It has two meters that light up and look very cool. In addition I picked up a Nakamichi 700 which has some scratches but plays great $10, Epicure M100 $15, Epicure M60 $15. I've hooked these up and they sound sweet!! One thing about these epicures is they are not very efficient, you got to give it some juice. Now i'm trying to find a way to hook up all 3 pairs (M110 already owned)

bluebook says;

JVC RCV, JR-S600
Manufacture Years: 1976 - 1980
Power: 120wpc
MSRP: $760.00
USED: $235.00

the bluebook also says there was a JR-S600II.

Jvc

That looks like one heck of a find. Looks well made. :thmbsp
I thought I saw one of these on Ebay last week. -Mark-

Very nice!!!! I used to sell those when they were new and in their power class, they were a favorite. Very unique looking for sure. :thmbsp:

I have a JR-S400 (85wpc). It surprised me with its construction and parts quality, and stout sound. The equalizer is very useful, works, and isn't a jokey afterthought.

You got a great deal -- JVCs don't bring the bigger bucks of other brands of that wpc, but are not that far down the audio food chain among them. IIRC the II versions weren't built quite as well.

The "styling" is crazy, but appealing is an odd sort of inscrutable way.

In 1978 I chose a new JVC JR-S501 TOTL receiver over the just discontinued Pioneer SX-1250. The JR-S501 sounded better to me at that time and place.
The big guy went back to college with my older nephew and was only killed by "someone" spilling a beer or drink of some kind into it. I didn't learn of that until later, so have no idea what they did with it. It would probably have been repairable. C'est la vie, but I was always so very careful with my gear, it was a bummer that those kids obviously had little regard for the gear. Of course, that nephew is now a practicing MD, and I love him like a son.

I have several 600 MKIIs and I like them. I mainly utilize the amp section using the Pre-out/Main -in featurs. I have the 600's hooked to my Pre amps. A good buy at $30.00. They have a ton of power.

bully said:
In 1978 I chose a new JVC JR-S501 TOTL receiver over the just discontinued Pioneer SX-1250. The JR-S501 sounded better to me at that time and place.
The big guy went back to college with my older nephew and was only killed by "someone" spilling a beer or drink of some kind into it. I didn't learn of that until later, so have no idea what they did with it. It would probably have been repairable. C'est la vie, but I was always so very careful with my gear, it was a bummer that those kids obviously had little regard for the gear. Of course, that nephew is now a practicing MD, and I love him like a son.

Then he should have the money to replace it. :yes:

bolly said:
bluebook says;

JVC RCV, JR-S600
MSRP: $760.00
USED: $235.00

the bluebook also says there was a JR-S600II.

Hey Bolly, that's what I have, it does have the II designation. Do you have the specs for that?? WOW 120 WPC sweet!!!:banana: :banana:

I have one sittng in my repair room- it needs a ton of bulbs, but besides that is works fine. It has an absolutely huge power supply and caps- will post internal pics.

right here steelhead97, bluebook says;

JVC RCV, JR-S600II
Manufacture Years: 1977 - 1981
MSRP: $600.00
USED: $210.00

dare youu may jeffn :)

JVC RCV, JR-S300
Power: 50wpc
MSRP: $400.00
USED: $37.00

Kind of unusual looking but with 120 wpc in it and for $30 I'll take it anyday.I wonder how the sound is compared to the usual Marantz,Pioneer etc of the day.

bolly said:
right here steelhead97, bluebook says;

JVC RCV, JR-S600II
Manufacture Years: 1977 - 1981
MSRP: $600.00
USED: $210.00

much oblige. All speaker outputs are firing and it lights up pretty cool when plugged in. I'm happy! Now i just have to find a place for it in my living room/bedroom. :scratch2:

Superdog, as I mentioned previously, I CHOSE the TOTL 120 wpc JVC JR-S501 over the Pioneer SX-1250 based on my listening at that time and place. The big JVC just sounded great. Smooth, no grain, an easy sound. Build quality was first-rate, heavy-duty and a clean, simple design inside.

Back
Top Bottom