Grillin' up some Sazitza !

Stephen J

Suum Cuique
Pronounced : Sa-Zeet-zah...Rymes with Pizza..:yes:
Or, in plain English, spicy Italian sausage ! :D
I make a sandwich out of mine and use simple process,that is a slightly unique.
I usually use two 4oz links of Rinaldi's hot Italian sausage,made locally ( 'bout 4 miles from my house )
I use a sharp knife and slit the sausage from end to end.Peel off the casing and discard it.
Removing the casing or skin allows some of the fat to cook off during cooking,it hits the coals and ,well you know, imparts flavor.. It also lowers the fat content a little.
Mash the sausage into a patty and shape as desired.
Now, I make a small tinfoil ''tray'', just a double thick piece of foil with the edges turned up and crimped.
Put the patty in the ''tray'' and place it on the grill.As soon as the meat starts to sizzle I pour a little beer in the tray to sort of steam the meat while it is cooking,probably about 5 min on each side. This imparts a little flavor from the beer,helps cook the sausage thoroughly (very important) and keeps the meat moist before it hits the grate.
Then I remove the patty from the tray. If ya used enough beer there is now a mixture of a little beer and grease from the sausage left.
I throw some sliced up Vidalia onions and green peppers in that mixture and coat the slices and let them cook in it a bit while the patty gets a nice charring on the hot grill!
Then I remove the onions and peppers and place them on the grill as well.
Lastly,I lightly toast my roll.
A friend of mine asked why I don't do a garlic bread type of thing with this,and that's an easy to answer question.
If the roll gets to hard from grilling it will break apart too easy when you are eating it ...also,I'm not looking for the over whelming garlic flavor
What I really want to taste is the char grilled sausage,peppers,and onions!
The roll just holds it all together.
Notice I say roll,not bun !
I rarely use anything with that... ''white bread'' texture'' :nono:
Top with a little sweet-n-hot mustard and enjoy with your favorite beverage.
Another version I do uses Marinara sauce and Mozzarella cheese.

Attachments

• GEDC0006e.jpg
    GEDC0006e.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 17
  • GEDC0007e.jpg
    GEDC0007e.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 16
Notice I say roll,not bun !
I rarely use anything with that... ''white bread'' texture'' :nono:

:lmao: Mmmm...Wonder Bread! :D

The sausage looks delicious. I want some! :drool: I bet I could ruin this recipe nicely. I could barely cook a damn bratwurst right.

Back
Top Bottom