JBL® Studio 5 Series Thread

ic-racer

There are a few scattered threads on some individual components of the JBL Studio Series, but I could not find a single thread covering the series.

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 8.26.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 8.15.15 AM.png

Last edited:
Yeah, good luck trying to find the wood finish speakers (The CH is for "Cherry" finish).
Most everything these days is that ugly black ash finish.

I bought some 230's and was surprised with the sound quality. No shops around here anymore to go and listen to the higher end stuff, Best Buy is about it.
Those 590 has my attention I wouldn't mind having those and put the L100T in another room. I'll wait until price drops a lot more and there are no longer parts
for it

I bought a pair of LSR 6332s' without listening several years ago. Same thing. I was really surprised by the realism of the sound. Now have vintage as well as current. You want to test the electronics, drag a pair of JBLs' around and have a listen.

I bought some 230's and was surprised with the sound quality. No shops around here anymore to go and listen to the higher end stuff, Best Buy is about it.
Those 590 has my attention I wouldn't mind having those and put the L100T in another room. I'll wait until price drops a lot more and there are no longer parts
for it
You did see where 590 have been less then 1/2 price two or three times in the last few years. I suspect they will go on a similar sale some time in the future.

You did see where 590 have been less then 1/2 price two or three times in the last few years. I suspect they will go on a similar sale some time in the future.
I haven't even listen to them yet..only online..But I will soon..thanks

I've had a pr of the 590's for a little over a yr now. They still amaze me. When Harmon puts them on sale there is a 30 day return policy they pay shipping. Can't lose. There is an excellent in depth review at Australian HiFi with lab testing

Not a great picture, but shows how massive the 590 is next to the L5. Just got the Studio 590's today and very happy so far. Much more detail bottom to top than the L5 and much better imagining/soundstage than my 4412a. not as harsh in the upper mid range as the 4412 is in my system. paired with td 160 and yamaha a-s2100. haven't listened to any digital source yet.
A6AE3E59-2302-4F67-BA4D-80091ECF2CF8.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the Studio 580s, the Sudio 530s and the Studio 520c center channel. The 580s are used in the digital room, the 530s are the star in the vinyl room and the 520c is part of a 3-channel, Marantz 3300/140/MA-500U/115B FM system that I use on Sunday Mornings to listen to pipe organ music.

I also have the Studio 230s that are a great performer for their price.

I may need to sell a few things off and buy a pair of 590's. I have a good friend that worked for Harman Int'l for 10 years checking to see what kind of deal he can get.

The 590's are the loss leader. It will move folks eventually on to the Everest!

I don't think they're losing money on the 590's even at the deeply discounted price. There really aren't any construction features there that demonstrate any effort by JBL to create anything more than a capable platform to support the components needed to deliver the sound. The components, on the other hand, are more than just capable. They're certainly not exotic or even remarkable, but if JBL has "GOOD", "BETTER" and "BEST" labels on their parts bins, the components in the 590's certainly come from the "BETTER" bin...which from a company such as JBL means some pretty good chit. Now, had they veneered these cabinets and offered them up for under $1k/pr...yeah, there I can see where margins might disappear.

Here is a comparison of 5.25” drivers from JBL Studio 5 series and Klipsch Reference. The Klipsch uses a molded plastic frame, JBL is all aluminum.

1ABC84D8-869B-4DA7-9CAC-C3004F1AD8DF.jpeg

@avguytx i feel like the 590 delivered to my door at the sale price last week was a scroe.
the 580 went on sale the day after 590 sale ended. if you don't mind the utilitarian look, these speakers are quite a deal at half off

Back
Top Bottom