Let's see your home made speaker stands, I'm going to build some.

Update-built the stands

Here's a few pics of the stands. I ended up going with pine only because Oak is so expensive and for now I wanted to get these built. I went through the entire wood selection @ Home Depot for the nicest looking grain. The vertical support is an I beam. I'll put some screw eyes on the back side of the vertical support, drill a hole for the wires to go through & under the base plate, which will have a channel for the wires. I want to hide the wires as much as possible. Overall height is 31 1/4 inches. Once stained and polyed with a satin finish, I think they will look pretty good.

Assembling the I beams. I used 1/4 dowel pegs and wood glue.
IMG_5234.jpg

IMG_5235.jpg

Starting to take shape.
IMG_5236.jpg

IMG_5237.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg

You done good, look very professional.

Will you install spikes 'cause of your wood floors? Preston

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I ended up needing to do some reinforcements, as there was a big bending load in the "x" and "y" directions in both top and bottom pieces. This prevented me from using grain direction alone to make it work. The reinforcements are 3/4" angle aluminum, but on the bottom they were a good excuse to make feet to go through the carpet and stabilize it. I'm pretty happy with them!

Last edited:
i'll come out and say it, i was skeptical at first. but now, with the finish on, those stands look pretty bitchin.

nice work

You done good, look very professional.

Will you install spikes 'cause of your wood floors? Preston

Thanks Preston!
I don't think I'll use wood spikes, don't want to mar the floors.
The combined weight should be enough to keep the in place.
I still need to do the wire channels before I glue and screw the top and base plates on. The photo is just to see how it looks.
More pic's to come.
Glenn

Last edited:
Both stands are completed.-Few more Pics

I'm quite happy with the results. You can see how I routed the wires.
Next step is to stain & poly.
Glenn
IMG_5279.jpg

IMG_5278.jpg

IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5277.jpg

IMG_5275.jpg

Gang, you just made my day. I was trying really hard for that precise result, but I bought an old table saw and it took a lot of work to get it cleaned up and running, and to figure out how to use it correctly without amputating my fingers.

So, thanks! :D

:D

They really-do though. Anytime you can combine function, form, and simplicity (I couldn't think of another word that started with "F"), all in the same design, you've pretty-much got it made.

Plus, the pitch looks totally-kewl....

What a great thread! Excellent work,folks! I've been kicking around an idea in my head for wood stands for my Polk Monitor 30's, which have a built-in bracket for wall mounting.

I don't have a table saw, and at my age, that's not going to happen!

In any case, you folks really have done some very nice work and congrats go to you all.:banana::banana:

What a great thread! Excellent work,folks! I've been kicking around an idea in my head for wood stands for my Polk Monitor 30's, which have a built-in bracket for wall mounting.

I don't have a table saw, and at my age, that's not going to happen!

In any case, you folks really have done some very nice work and congrats go to you all.:banana::banana:

Ahh, don't sell yourself short. You can get a decent table saw for a hundred bucks and the fun begins!

Anyone who can build a nice pair of speaker stands is also capable of building a nice pair of speakers. :yes:

I agree.

I plan to stain the stands this weekend and will have some updated pics.
I did some testing on scrap wood from the wood used to build the stands and have to use two different stains, but got a near perfect match to the PS-10's cabinets.

Glenn

Last edited:
Stand update-finished staining.

So I finished staining the stands and got a very close match to the PS-10 cabinets. Now I'm waiting 24 hours for the stain to fully dry before applying the satin poly.
The first stain is lighter and has the red hue needed, and the second stain is the deep brown.
I'm very happy so far.
Glenn
IMG_1313-1.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

My PS-10 stands are finished!

Here's a few pics of the finished stands. The color/hue is pretty close but slightly darker, though it depends on the light. I tested them out this weekend while staining interior window frames in our addition that's currently under construction. The speakers sounded incredible in this space (18X22) and especially hooked up to my JVC A-X5 amp. I don't think these will be here permanently, we'll see, after the room is done because my wife wants something more "invisible" like the Bose Acoustimass! Ahh! I'd like another set of PS-10's for the room. They are not that large, but sound great.
Now I need something else to build!

Cheers!
IMG_5320.jpg

IMG_5316.jpg

IMG_5314.jpg

Back in the living room.
IMG_5322.jpg

Very nice! I like the aluminum wire channel and the beveled edges on the woodwork. I experimented with different heights and found 30 inch height was giving me he best sound. Yours look about the same height.
Nice work!
Glenn

Had problems with the finish, kind of a learning curve, realised later that too fine a sand job stops the wood absorbing stain well. When I get round to adding the varnish I might see if I can darken it a little, stain is patchy in places.

Your stands look nice : )

Had problems with the finish, kind of a learning curve, realised later that too fine a sand job stops the wood absorbing stain well. When I get round to adding the varnish I might see if I can darken it a little, stain is patchy in places.

Your stands look nice : )

I thought yours looked very good. I didn't notice any patchy areas.

I did three applications to get the correct color and hue, though the darker stain ended up a tad darker than I planned. Still, I'm happy with the results and my wife likes them slightly darker than the speaker cabinets. Once I applied the satin clear poly, it brought out the grain nicely.

Glenn

Back
Top Bottom