PL-518 Reworked....Warning lots of photos

7miles

Hey all, it's been just over year now that I have gotten back into vinyl.
What I didn't realize is how much I would enjoy my return. I can tell you I can not be more pleased. Anyways what prompted my return was last year. I was doing the garage sale seen I came to a turn table the was on the free table. I quickly snapped it not knowing a thing about it. Little did I know what a slippery slop I just jumped on. Anyways, what I ended up with was a Pioneer PL 518 with no dust cover, nor did it have a stylus...However it was free. So I turned to this forum for info and help for a cart. and info. What can I say big thanks.

The PL-518 what I ended up with. What can I say that hasn't been said already about the PL-518. I paired it with a Shure M97xE cartridge. I have grown really fond of this combination. I have purchased 7 vintage turntables in the last year, and the one I picked up free at a garage sale seems to be the one I like the most.

Anyways on to why I started this thread. Was to hopefully give back to the forum and help or inspire someone, along the way. So please if you have any question or comments or hell if you see something that could help me, please say so. I decided to give my PL-518 a face lift and, a good once over. It all started because I had a corner that had a bit a damage, not much but enough to drive me crazy ever time I looked at it. I posted so photos on it in this thread http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46606. I really tried what was suggested. But ones I did the cabinet just crumbled turned to dust and fell right out. Well that, just would not do. So this is what I ended up doing. I hope you enjoy it.

Start with a few pictures of the before. Man I tell you I just hate the gray vinyl Pioneer went with on this dudes.
SDC15688.jpg

SDC15689.jpg

SDC15835.jpg

SDC15837.jpg

Well it is time for the disassemble. I removed the 5 screws holding the cover.
SDC15838.jpg

Now I turned my attention to the bottom of the turntable and removed the four feet.I guess I'm pretty lucky, that the feet has not rotted off of it. They are splitting and dry rotted cracks all around them. I fixed this problem by simply smearing them in a rubber cement. I tell you this worked far better then I could have expected.
SDC15840.jpg

SDC15986.jpg

SDC15994.jpg

SDC15993.jpg

Next I removed the 10 screws that hold the under panel on. At this point you have to be careful, because the under panel will shift around on you. I just grabbed both sides of the turn table holding the cabinet and the under panel to lay the table down.
SDC15841.jpg

Okay, lets move back to the top. Almost ready to separate the cabinet from the rest of the unit. But first you must remove the screw holding the base plate to the under panel.
SDC15842.jpg

Next you have to use a allen wrench to remove the 4 screws from the arm base.
SDC15843.jpg

Ready to remove the cabinet. What you have to do is loosen all the wire ties that are hooked to the cabinet and carefully stand up the base plate that is still hooked to the arm base. This is kind of awkward but holding on to the base plate you can now lift the cabinet from the under panel.
SDC15844.jpg

SDC15845.jpg

SDC15846.jpg

MORE TO COME

Next I needed to remove the cord holder to make modifications to it, for the new larger output cord assembly. I think this is maybe where I messed up. I will explain later. There is a 5 pin connector plug I removed it and soldered a new cord assembly to it. Mind you this is my very first soldering job. And BOY IT TURNED OUT UGLY. There is only one way to look at this, from my point of view. That is, I can only get better. Anyways like I said, this may have caused my problems I am having now. For some reason I have no right channel and I every time I move towards my head shell I get a humming noise. So I put the original wire and connector back on it and I still have the same problems. I really don't know what the hell I did wrong. HELP HELP HELP
SDC15847.jpg

SDC15848.jpg

SDC15959.jpg

Well here it sets on the counter in my work room in pieces.
SDC15850.jpg

Anyways I am moving on with the rest of the project. I used car bondo to fill the hole on the cabinet. The next few photos show bondoing and priming 3 coats and wet sanded out to 600 grit wet sanding. I have a buddy who owns a body shop, he is going to paint it for me.
SDC15854.jpg

SDC15933.jpg

SDC15937.jpg

SDC15938.jpg

SDC15942.jpg

SDC15947.jpg

Well my buddy done a fantastic job with the paint an clear coat. I also included a few assembly photos.
SDC15987.jpg

SDC15989.jpg

SDC15992.jpg

SDC15996.jpg

MORE TO COME

I tell you this was a fun project. I really enjoyed doing this project. I really must show my inspiration for this project. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=299545
I also should point out a few things I did, that I didn't take photos of. Not sure why but I didn't. I disassembled the motor assembly to see shaft was in need of lubrication. I also cleaned the pot. Anyhow, I still do not have my right channel and humming when I move towards the head shell. But this is what I ended up with.
SDC16031.jpg

SDC16027.jpg

SDC16029.jpg

SDC16024.jpg

SDC16021.jpg

I had to pick up a set of hinges off of Flebay and I bought a new dust cover from turntabledepot.com There site seems to be under going construction but I called the number on there spoke with the owner Jim. Hell of a nice guy. The cover cost me 99.99 + 29.99 for shipping but I am so glad I got it.

Thanks for looking and sorry for so many photos

Hey guys thanks again......But I am still having problems with the right channel, along with the humming sound as i get close to the head shell.

Are you sure you wired the wires in the correct spots?
I would try cleaning up those connections and/or get a new 5 pin connector (they can be had) where you crimp the wire onto a pin and then insert it into the plastic. That's how the original works. not really sure why you replaced it, but oh well.

Are you sure you wired the wires in the correct spots?
I would try cleaning up those connections and/or get a new 5 pin connector (they can be had) where you crimp the wire onto a pin and then insert it into the plastic. That's how the original works. not really sure why you replaced it, but oh well.

Well I replaced it be cause the original on has what look like a burn spot on it. I thought it would be just a matter of time before it became a problem.

I did remove the one i soldered on and cleaned it up. Installed the old one back on........But I still have the same problems.

Could of I have gotten it to hot and the side that the tone arm wires are soldered on flowed together??????

Back
Top Bottom