Technics Dustcover Fix

boreas

"If it sounds good, it IS good." E.K.E.
Since coming up with this fix, I've received a lot of requests from AKers asking me to make a set of tabs for them. I guess I'm not much of businessman but I turned those requests down, mostly because the tabs required a fair amount of fiddly work. I couldn't see charging more than a few bucks for the tabs but I didn't think a few bucks was fair compensation fro the time it took to make the tabs.

So, I came up with a much simpler design that takes far less work and far less skill. Here's the thread describing therevised design.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/technics-dustcover-fix-redux.656267/

I guess pretty much anyone who has ever owned a Technics turntable with those plastic "tongues" on the dustcover that insert into the hinges has had to confront the issue of the ends of the tongues snapping off. I just picked up an SL-D3 with a badly scratched dustcover on which both tongues were gone and I came up with a fix that I thought I'd share.

The first thing I did was to cut off all of what remained of the tongues. This required that I make a horizontal cut which removed all of the tongue but left the little "buttresses" that are supposed to strengthen the tongues. Then I drilled four holes to mount the parts I was about to make to replace the tongues. (I did these things first because if I managed to screw up the dustcover there would be no point in continuing. ;)) Then I polished the dustcover.

TechnicsDustcoverRepair003.jpg

TechnicsDustcoverRepair002.jpg

Then I got a piece of 1" x 1/8" aluminum angle and made up the replacement tongues. I made 2 pieces. The measurement of the tongue is 13/16" wide and 7/8" long as measured on the outside of the angle. The width of the part that bolts to the dustcover is 2 1/4" but that's not so critical.

TechnicsDustcoverRepair001.jpg

Then I attached them to the dustcover.....

TechnicsDustcoverRepair004.jpg

.... and installed the dustcover on the turntable.

TechnicsDustcoverRepair005.jpg

Overall, I'm quite pleased. The 1/8" tongues fit the hinges very well but they're slightly thicker than the originals. That means that the hinges have to be raised up out of the sockets they fit into very slightly in order for the cover to fully close. A small matter and a fair trade-off for repairing an otherwise unusable dustcover.

John

Last edited:
Nice repair on that dust cover! Those tabs sure are a pain when they break. The SL-D3 is an excellent table. Been using mine for 30 years.

Nice repair on that dust cover! Those tabs sure are a pain when they break. The SL-D3 is an excellent table. Been using mine for 30 years.

Thanks and, yes, I think it's a pretty nice table too. I was working on a friend's SL-1900 which occupied the same position in the earlier series that the D3 occupies in its series, same specs and features. I was pretty impressed so when I had a shot at this SL-D3 for small bucks I jumped.

John

boreas,

You are the man......My SL-Q2's cover is broken exactly the same way. I have been thinking of a fix for it and this fits the bill to a T.

Thanks so much for the detailed fix :thmbsp: :smoke: :banana: :D

OK I'm impressed.
That is clever, elegant and ... you could probably market those on "That Auction Site" if you wanted to! After all, people are asking for $99 or so for replacement dust covers.

This is fantastic, as my SL Q2 has the same issue!

A long time ago i saw a similar thread on here about how to fix this issue, but i've never been able to find it again. Anyone know which thread i speak of?

Nice work, John!

Fortunately, my Technics still has the tongues on the cover.

Unfortunately, I have the other problem of the cover not staying all the way open.

I haven't really taken a close look at it yet.

Doug

Nice work, John!

XXX SNIP XXX

Unfortunately, I have the other problem of the cover not staying all the way open.

Doug

I repaired this once by adding some plastic shims where the spring is located. On that TT, the hinge mechanism was spring loaded. I believe that over time the spring's lost some of their tension and by adding the shims I was able to increase it. I had to play with it some to get the right thickness.

I repaired this once by adding some plastic shims where the spring is located. On that TT, the hinge mechanism was spring loaded. I believe that over time the spring's lost some of their tension and by adding the shims I was able to increase it. I had to play with it some to get the right thickness.

+1! That was what I did on an SL-D20. You're essentially increasing the preload on the springs to compensate for fatigue.

John

Nice job!

Luckily my dustcover is intact on my SL-D3 however I have the exact same problem on my SL-BD20 - I'll have to give it a shot.

Do you run into any problems with the cover wanting to crack when drilling the holes? Did you just use a standard drill bit?

Nice job!

Luckily my dustcover is intact on my SL-D3 however I have the exact same problem on my SL-BD20 - I'll have to give it a shot.

Do you run into any problems with the cover wanting to crack when drilling the holes? Did you just use a standard drill bit?

No, I didn't. I was concerned about that and with sawing off the remains of the tongues which is why I did all the work on the dustcover before I made the new parts. When I drilled the holes I went really easy, putting a very small amount of pressure on the plastic and letting the drill bit do all the work. I also put my finger on the back side of the cover and as soon as I felt the plastic start to bulge out from the drill bit I started going even more slowly and gently.

Thank you and everyone for the compliments.

John

[EDIT] The drill bit I used was more or less standard. It was a DeWalt "Pilot Point" drill bit. I couldn't really say whether it was the reason I had no trouble.

dewalt-pilot-point-gold-ferrous-oxide-drill-bit--12in.-model-dw1932.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job of work and a great solution to something otherwise destined for the ash can. How did you cut the plastic? What tool did you use? I always have problems cutting that thin plexi without cracking it. I know the drilling part takes a deft touch and patience!

Back
Top Bottom