There are rumors that Shuguang tube factory is closed

for_p1

Addicted Member
I found that information on some web sites: Shuguang factory that was making most of the Chinese tubes: 300B, 845, KT88 etc. is closed due to fire that happened back in August. In the meantime they were selling remaining stock of tubes, but now it is depleted. The same source claims that production lines need to be relocated to another place and this may take 18 months or more.

If this source is correct, we will see great shortage of most popular power tubes and price of them sky rocket very soon. Any offering of lower priced tubes will likely be QC rejects.

When I buy new tubes, I buy from McShane. Everything he has ever sent me was out of the old soviet union/ russia. With the solid demand for Guitar tubes, I don't think I'll have any trouble finding good quality 6550s, 6l6s, el34, and the whole line of kinky(less) pentodes. Good to know for anyone considering buying their stock. The remaining product on the shelf is the unmatchable devices from the bottom tier of the supply chain.
I have seen tubes labeled "made in chian" are these tubes really expected to be useful when they can't even spell the name of the country where they're made? Would you plug that 6l6 into your MC30?

There is no Russian or JJ 845 or 211, and IMHO the Chinese 12AX7 is a really good tube... low noise and long lasting.

I think Shuguang made/makes? pretty decent tubes, once you get past some of the terrible stuff from the 90s.

I have friends that work directly with Shuguang, I'll ask them what they know after the holiday break. I really like the Chinese tubes for their sound. I think their KT66 is excellent and their 12AX7 tubes are just the ticket for high gain rock and roll guitar. Russia is my go-to for EL84 types 6L6's and 6550's.

I won't buy NOS because of the price. The exception is 12AU7 and 12AT7 tubes. There's still lots around priced just above the cost of new production.

I have two sets of Chinese EL34’s, one in my AES Superamp and one in my ST70 clone. Both sets have been dependable and sound good. The only build quality issue is slightly crooked tube bases on a couple tubes. I had 3 occasions where my Russian tubes developed intermittent contact problems. Chinese KT66's were the first Chinese made power tubes I took a chance on after having an older EL34 short out. My Chinese girlfriend is going to Beijing in February. Maybe I can get her to bring me back a suitcase full of glass goodies.

I wouldn't mind trying a Chinese el84 or 12ax7

I think their 12AX7 is one of their best tubes. I have had very good luck with them over the years. When I order new tubes I usually go Chinese for the small signal tubes and Russian for the power tubes.

Have heard lots of good things about the Chinese KT66 but never had an application for one.

I have a quad of Shuguang KT66 tubes that I purchased in probably 2014. I don't really care for them sound-wise. I think Russian 6L6s (particularly new production Tung Sol 7581's) are more robust and sound better. Maybe the newest Shuguang KT66's sound better now, but I do use mine as "disposable" tubes for bench testing.

I heard a bit more about this.

Apparently, a message from Magic Parts (large supplier of tubes for musical instrument amps- and the primary Ruby Tubes distributor in the USA) sent out to some of their commercial customers, stated that due to a fire, their supply of Chinese tubes was "temporarily" unavailable- but that they still had all the Russian and European tubes they always had. No indication was given, as to when supply might resume.

I suspect this is the origin of this "rumor"- which is looking more to be a fact...

Regards,
Gordon.

I heard back from my contact regarding the fire. There was a fire that damaged part of the plant but a new factory was already under construction so there will be a new supply stream later this year. There's probably lots of product in circulation already and the next wave of products will be coming from new equipment, so good times ahead.

I heard back from my contact regarding the fire. There was a fire that damaged part of the plant but a new factory was already under construction so there will be a new supply stream later this year. There's probably lots of product in circulation already and the next wave of products will be coming from new equipment, so good times ahead.

Thanks for update.

512px-Don't_Panic.svg.png
so good times ahead.

Two tube retailer I have spoken with (one in person and one over the phone) have written Shuguang off completely, until they hear differently. There are two or three rumors. One, Shuguang had a fire in their factory which seems to be false. Two, An adjacent building caught fire and partially damaged the Shuguang factory. Three, Shuguang had been operating in a location without government permission and they were shut down by the Chinese communist regime. After a phone call to China, I think it is a combination of rumors 2 and 3. Shuguang's old Philips equipped CRT & tube factory had become surrounded by residential property, and they were effectively told to shutdown and relocate as soon as possible. A nearby fire did enough damage that they could not continue production and the Chinese government would NOT allow them to rebuild anything in their old location, or reopen. The fire was NOT at or in the Shuguang facility itself, but things like structure fires are famous for damaging things nearby, if not with heat and smoke, the water damage from fighting the fire also damages things too. It is not so much the fire that is slowing things down, but the totalitarian regulatory nature of China's communist regime. It is kind of like trying to open a tube factory up in California or New York. For now, no one that sold Shuguang tubes retail has any hopes of any seeing tubes from China until late 2021 or maybe 2022, if ever again. I am pretty sure there was another factory or two existing in Shenzen too. When these factories are not used they do tend to get vandalized, so those are probably well beyond saving, and the communist Chinese government probably does not want them to be open either. Personally, I'd rather live next door to a tube factory than next door to a sewage treatment plant or even my white trash liberal neighbors, for that matter. All in all, Shuguang had been told they had to move their factory, before the fire happened. If there was a fire, who knows. Maybe the government started the fire. The Russians were doing similar things to the old Reflektor X-PoPul factory (New Sensor Electro Harmonix) in Russia, before they figured it there was money to be made.

yes the Shuguang factory was closed. Has been for over a year and a half. Any Shuguang tubes up for sale now are either left overs, or old stock that some had around. They are not fresh valves.
There was a building next door to the factory that caught fire. The fire was put out, but there was some minor damage to the Shuguang factory building, but not to the tube mfg. gear. Do not know all the details, but local govt in that city would not let Shuguang re-open so they decided to move to a larger facility, which they were planning on doing anyway. Have not heard how that is going. There are over 15 tube factories in China. Most are left overs from supporting the Chinese military. A few make some really good tubes. A lot make high failure rate tubes.

There are two popular competitors in China to Shuguang tubes. PSVANE (now have their own factory but used to be made in Shuguang tube factory), and Lanai (new tube company started by some PSVANE ex-PSVANE folks who left PSVANE to go out on their own.

Having said all above, will add the Shuguang WE KT88 red base tubes are the most organic KT88s I have ever listened to. If you like open full, midrange, with airy top end that has no edge to it, they really pull you in. But they are not worth buying if your plate voltage on your amp runs over 400VDC. (Keep in mind the original GE 6550 was spec'ed with a max plate voltage of 600 volts with normal operating voltage of 500-550VDC. and the original British Gold Lion KT88 was spec'ed at a similar voltage). All the Chinese tubes (speaking of a ton of KT88s) I have tried from Shuguang and PSVANE will not hold up long to higher plate voltages. You will experience tube ELFs ( Early Life Failures). I bought 3 quartets of the Shugang WE KT88 Plus red bass, and had a 30% failure rate before I reached the 6 month old point. Similar with the PSVANE Gray glass KT88s, they do sound good, but will not hold up to 500 volts on the plate. (take a look at all the Chinese made KT88 amps- most only put out 35-40 watts from a pair in push pull- WHY??? because they run 350 to 380VDC on the plate, that is why).

Have not tried any of the Chinese 211s, 845s, 300Bs etc, so can't comment on those. But will add the Chinese tube factories and re-sellers are charging a premium for all of these "special" tubes with their secret sauce mixed in. ....so just be careful before you fall victim to the "Audiophiles Siren's call" (or is the audiophool??) of Chinese made valve with gold plated pins, special black carbon plates and super secret gold mesh grids, and plop down your hard earned cash on Chinese made valves that may go up in smoke much quicker than you had expected. I was an audiophool who dropped 3-4 large on Chinese KT88s, only to be super disappointed in their longevity. They were great while they lasted, but once they started going, Poof, Poof, Poof, one after another, I felt like I had been royally ripped off.

Am now back buying Russian made KT88s.

If I can deviate from power valves for a moment to input valves, will say I have tried a ton of the Chinese made input (signal level valves) from China tube factories. Have tried everyone that PSVANE and Shuguang have made.
Have to say the new PSVANE 12AU7 Art series are among the best I have heard including many NOS varieties which I also have. Have not had them long enough though to see how long they will last. But dropping 72 bucks on a matched pair and having them go poof is a bit easier to swallow than dropped 2K on power tubes and having them go super nova on you...

Back
Top Bottom