tubes vs. solid state, disturbing the peace!

You are. You're officially out of the club.:stupid:
But, i was a charter member.:tears:

In my own defense i should have been a bit more specific. A few of my favorite SS era speakers have fairly dynamic(read unfriendly with OPT's) impedance curves. There are probably exceptions, but i have yet to find a tube amp that can make any of these speakers sing as well as a quality(especially class A) SS amplifier can.

Anybody running tubes full range on their RSIIb's, AR9's, etc.?

Lots of old tube stuff out there that has 4 ohm taps on it.. I've got several high wattage amps with 4 ohm taps that will slam the hell outta your woofers..

My 8 ohm Soliloquy 6.5 speakers have much more bass authority when connected to the 4 ohm terminals on my Primaluana Prologue 7 monoblocks.

No expert here by any means, but it's my amateur understanding that the flatter a loudspeaker's impedance curve, the flatter the "audible" response of the OPT will be in that given system.

My WAG is that when we hear complaints of the tube amp rolling off the lows contrary to what the amp's stated specs might be or suggest, it has much to do with the speaker's impedance rolling off at those same lower frequencies.

No expert here by any means, but it's my amateur understanding that the flatter a loudspeaker's impedance curve, the flatter the "audible" response of the OPT will be in that given system.

My WAG is that when we hear complaints of the tube amp rolling off the lows contrary to what the amp's stated specs might be or suggest, it has much to do with the speaker's impedance rolling off at those same lower frequencies.

I think we call that synergy don't we?

she is a very understanding woman... could i ask for anyone better?, -no!

You have 9 receivers stacked in your living room with 9 sets of speakers. You have three airconditioners running nonstop and a power bill of $500 a month. You are married and have roomates in a trailer to offset this powerbill. Your car does not run nearly as well as your 9 receivers and you have no valid drivers liscence.

Yes, she is amazing. I hope you kiss her ass from time to time.

I was wondering if my wife could borrow a little bit of her understanding at times?

Last edited:
You have 9 receivers stacked in your living room with 9 sets of speakers. You have three airconditioners running nonstop and a power bill of $500 a month. You are married and have roomates in a trailer to offset this powerbill. Your car does not run nearly as well as your 9 receivers and you have no valid drivers liscence.

Yes, she is amazing. I hope you kiss her ass from time to time.

I was wondering if my wife could borrow a little bit of her understanding at times?

This reminds me of a bumpersticker I saw this morning that I wish I would have had through the years.. .

"Don't laugh, your daughter could be in this car."

Yes, SS has punchier bass. Tubes tend to more accurately produce vocals.

I run all ss for home audio, but I am planning to throw a tube phono stage in the mix soon.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom