IPODS and McIntosh equipment

I've done it: 1/8" plug to dual RCA plugs (available from Radio Shack, among others) into a line-level input on any of my preamps.

Abandoned, however, due to poor sound quality of much of the content. Have since gone to an outboard DAC/audio strip connected to my PC. I stream _lots_ of radio stations from Europe at the house these days.

Cheers,

David

I have as well using a RCA to headphone cord, or with a dock which gives a fixed line out. Fine for testing, but not for real listening. For that I prefer using my external DAC. If your computer is not near your stereo, the airport express is a great way to stream music on the cheap. You can even use it with an external DAC using optical connection.

My cd's to Apple WAV format. Ipod dock output to digital input of my MCD500 cd player. I find the WAV files to be a little better sounding than Apple lossless. I have spent day's converting the files. Don't ask me what I hear different between the files, it just sounds more like the original cd.

Last edited:
I have a 30 ft optical cord between my computer and my DAC. However, only Mac computers have toslink out and you can't run a USB cable that far. If you listen to lots of digital files, consider a pre owned Mac mini and a dac. Small investment considering what CDs cost (and a CD player!).

More to the OP's question. If you are going to to use an iPod use a dock or dock cable. The sound is much better. The 3.5mm connector in my dock wore out so I'm suffering daily at work using the head phone connection to my receiver. I need to make a dock to RCA/USB cable or buy this one. http://www.ramelectronics.net/ipod-mp3/ipod-cables/ipro-link-series/ipro-link-cable-ifepduprom/prodIFEPDUPROM.html

Not all iPods are created equal either. The better sounding iPods are the 5th and 5.5th gen and 1st gen touches IIRC. If you want to go high end check out the iMod http://www.redwineaudio.com/products/imod

Is anyone running their IPOD through their McIntosh receivers? If so, how are you doing so.
Thanks!

If you use the analog output (headphone jack) from an iPod connected to your McIntosh, you are using the digital to analog converter in the iPod. If you use the output from an iPod dock, you are bypassing the iPod's volume control circuit which improves the sound but you're still using the iPod's DAC.

The DAC is a very critical component for digital playback and the iPod's DAC are not in the same class as your McIntosh equipment and therefore, use of the iPod as a direct source will not yield the best sound that your McIntosh can provide.

So the trick for using an iPod in a high-stereo would be to use a high-quality DAC (the DAC inside the MCD500 for example) with the iPod. The problem is that the iPod design does not allow easy access to the digital stream for use with an external DAC.

Of all the iPod docs out there, I think only one company, I think Wadia, makes an iPod dock that does extract the digital signal directly, but this dock is expensive and you still need a DAC to go with it.

However, if you have an iPod, you have a computer nearby with all the music on it that's on your iPod. So, as others have mentioned, you can get a good DAC and put it between your computer and stereo and get much better results than using the iPod's analog outputs. The better the DAC quality, the better will be your results.

That's the solution I've come to at this point and my iPod(s) / iPhone are relegated to portable, non-critical use with headphones and in the car.

They don't tell you if the RAM iPro Link work with which model of iPods/iPhone. I emailed them so I'll report back.

Make sure your portable device is not putting out more than 2V, which is what a CDP does. Anything more than 2V and you will need to check with the manufacturer that this is OK. I've heard more than one "amp-killer" story to be careful with this type of portable device.

Good point SoCal. I keep my iPod's output limit set to 80%. Good for whatever I plug it into, including my ears if I forget to turn it down after using it with a receiver. I believe the average hard disc iPod will peak a hair under 3V.

ipad to McIntosh

I use my iPad to camera connection kit (USB) to optical to MCD500. Works nicely and very easy. Will play iTunes and stream.

I have a the iPod connected to a dbx586 preamp that feeds to
a C2200. It's subject to the iPod DAC but until I buy a good one
this is working okay. I'm using double amplification in a simiar
way to a turntable as if it had a phono preamp, before the
preamp.

Back
Top Bottom