Philips GA212 Toggle Switch Mod

huck1978

Just picked up one of these for fun. Sure enough it has what seem to be the normal symptoms: melted belt, missing cartridge carrier, and no functioning power switch.

From what I've read the best solution would be to replace the power switch with a toggle switch.

Looking to see if someone could share photos of their mods or provide links to toggle switches that would do a nice job.

Huck1978,

There is a guy (ytfordturkey), on ebay that has thousands of parts for the GA212 or GA312. One of my tables is the GA312. In addition to selling anything that is related to either of these, he also give free advice, including drawing with arrows, notes, etc. Great guy to get to know considering the table you have. He has original and upgraded switches.
Regards,
Don Griffith

Thank you for the potential contact. I will write to him as he doesn't seem to have much listed at the moment.

Wow, he did give a very quick response with lots of information. Unfortunately he does not have parts. He recommended a part from mouser but their shipping to Canada will be 3x the price of the part.

If anyone has done the toggle switch mod I would love to have some info/pictures of the process.

Please don't use a toggle switch. It really looks ugly. There is a much better way.
I have replaced the power switch on many Philips 212 and 312 turntables. And they look totally stock. The original power switch has a plastic body which disintegrates over time. I use a metal and bakelite bodied switch which will outlast the turntable. The switch I use is the push-on push-off switch from an old computer. Slight modifications to it are necessary. The shaft for the original Philips knob is a wee bit too long so cut it shorter using the old switch as a guide. This shaft is also a wee bit fatter than the original so file it down slightly,on all four sides, (you don't have to take much material off) until the knob snaps on easily. Finally, the holes in the mounting ears are a bit closer together than the original. Take a pair of tin snips and cut out the metal from each side of the hole to the outer edge of the bracket, essentially making the hole wider. Then you can mount it just like the original using the original bracket and knob and it will look totally original from the outside. These computer switches are very heavy duty and will last forever.
Rick

Please don't use a toggle switch. It really looks ugly. There is a much better way.
I have replaced the power switch on many Philips 212 and 312 turntables. And they look totally stock. The original power switch has a plastic body which disintegrates over time. I use a metal and bakelite bodied switch which will outlast the turntable. The switch I use is the push-on push-off switch from an old computer. Slight modifications to it are necessary. The shaft for the original Philips knob is a wee bit too long so cut it shorter using the old switch as a guide. This shaft is also a wee bit fatter than the original so file it down slightly,on all four sides, (you don't have to take much material off) until the knob snaps on easily. Finally, the holes in the mounting ears are a bit closer together than the original. Take a pair of tin snips and cut out the metal from each side of the hole to the outer edge of the bracket, essentially making the hole wider. Then you can mount it just like the original using the original bracket and knob and it will look totally original from the outside. These computer switches are very heavy duty and will last forever.
Rick

Hi Rick,
I do not have the problem (yet), with my GA312, but I have printed your repair and added it to my GA312 manual. Thank you very much.
Regards,
Don

Thank you for the great idea Rick. Would you mind posting a couple of pictures when you get a chance? That would really help me out.

Yes, that switch will work fine.
Here are some pictures. The old, original switch is on the right and the new, heavy duty switch is on the left.
The usual failure modes with the original switches is either the plastic bodies disintegrate and they literally fall apart or the push-on, push-off latch breaks and they no longer stay in the on position. Trying to repair them is not practical and replacing them with the same switch just means it will break again someday. My fix is forever.
Looking at the pictures, note how the new switch's blue plastic shaft is a bit longer than the original switch. Just cut it shorter to match the original. And don't forget to file it down slightly so the knob fits properly.
More pictures to follow.
Rick

Attachments

• HPIM1045.jpg
    HPIM1045.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 445
  • HPIM1054.jpg
    HPIM1054.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 396
  • HPIM1057.jpg
    HPIM1057.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 347
  • HPIM1058.jpg
    HPIM1058.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Here is how to modify the mounting ears of the new switch. Make sure the slots are wide enough to easily slide the screws in.
Push the knob onto the new switch before you mount it in place.
Cut the two wires off the old switch, strip them and wire them to the new switch. Use the two terminals on one side (either left or right--it doesn't matter which side). Wire color does not matter.
Hope this helps to resurrect some Philips 212 and 312 turntables.
Rick

Attachments

• HPIM1061.jpg
    HPIM1061.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 302
  • HPIM1062.jpg
    HPIM1062.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 301
Sincere thanks for the photos and extra information. I am certain this will be helpful to many Philips turntable owners.

Congratulations. Isn't it a great feeling of accomplishment to bring something like that back from the dead?
Now you can move on to your next turntable. You are planning to get more turntables, aren't you?
Rick

It is a good feeling. I was certain that this project would be a money pit, but I lucked out on the power switch, belt and cartridge carrier. Now I'm curious if it's possible to change the colour of the lights to blue to match the Marantz equipment it is running with.

The final glitch with the Philips is that the platter is very slow to turn at start if not used for a day or more. If I take the platter off, everything comes to speed quickly but with the platter on, it drags for about 5 seconds before it works up momentum.

Any thoughts?

It sounds like either your motor or platter spindle bearing could use cleaning and lubing. Or maybe both of them.
Rick

I should probably start another thread, but do you have any tips on how to clean and lube these?

I guess the best tip I'm looking for is, should I approach from the top or the bottom of the machine? I did try cleaning the platter spindle bearing but I wasn't too sure how to remove the plastic platter.

When I was using my 312, I just left it in the ON position, and the table was plugged into a switched outlet on my preamp. Worked like a charm.

My GA-212 has 4 terminals on the power switch; 2 wires coming from the power cord and 2 wires going to the turntable's transformer. My replacement switch only has 2 terminals. How would I wire in this 2 terminal replacement. switch? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom