Anyone have the Music Hall MMF-5.1?

PearlJamGuy

There's a local store selling the Music Hall MMF-5.1 for $650 - a pretty big savings from what you can normally get it for.

I've read some nice reviews on the TT but it's one of those models that not a lot of people have (seems to be between entry-level audiophile, and really really souped-up audiophile).

My question - would it be dramatically better than a Pro-Ject Carbon DC (that I can get locally for $250 less)? I'm looking for something for a very small office system (that I'd spend about 70% of the time listening to through headphones).

It seems like it might be overkill, but I also like to take advantage of good deals!

That's a very good deal, especially for the dual plinth option. Dramatically...not sure I will touch that with a 10' pole :D. Since it is at a store I would audition it, of course cartridge and phono amp will play a big part.

For 250.00 less, to me I would see which deck has the better arm. The Project might have the 1pc carbon arm but I think it is 8.6" and the MH has a 9" arm but is not 1pc carbon.
The project has a metal platter too? MH has an acrylic one I believe......Seems like + and - you need to figure out.

I don't think the MMF has the acrylic platter, and I've heard the pad that comes with it is horrible, so already you need to replace that.

Both have the cheap felt pad.....and yes looking at the 5.1 seems they both have non-acrylic platters.

I have the 5.1 and love it! The felt pad is terrible, I replaced the platter with the acrylic platter and it made a HUGE difference in sound! I also added on the speed box from Pro-ject because I didn't want to deal with changing belt size if I want to play 45's. I don't think you will be disappointed at all. That is a great price for it.

The 5.1 is a direct competitor to the Rega RP3. It's capable of supporting some very good cartridge upgrades should you wish.
This is a very good deal.

Yeah, it's the red one too - looks REALLY sharp. Just not sure if it's overkill for my small office. I certainly can't / won't get big speakers for it.

On that note - what would one recommend to pair with this if it's primarily being used for headphone listening (but also will eventually get some small speakers as well)? I had posted the question on another thread and had many great suggestions. But I'm all ears for others.

So throwing another curveball - say I can spend no more than $650. I can get the Pro-Ject Carbon DC for $400, and then add the acrylic platter and the speedbox to it and still stay at $650. Or I get the Music Hall mmf5.1 as it is for $650. Is the MH still far superior? For those of you who have it (as it appears many of you do) what made the MH mmf5.1 your TT of choice?

I would get the Music Hall. The arm is much better as it uses the arm that used to be on the Music Hall MMF 7. You can upgrade the 2.2 up to a certain point but it won't be a 5.1, The 5.1 comes with a Magic 3 cartridge which is a rebadged Ortofon 520 mkII which is superior to the music tracker cartridge that comes with the Carbon. I paid 895.00 for my 5.1 and you are getting it for a fantastic price.
P.S. I stand corrected as I believe the Debut comes with the Ortofon 2M Red which is a very good cartridge.

Last edited:
What cartridge comes with the 5.1? If it's the Magic 3, it's not a bad one. Check the condition of the stylus. If its in decent condition, it's a good deal at the asking price. Btw the arm length on the 5.1 is 9.5".

I just realized the Carbon DC Esprit SB basically adds the acrylic platter and speed control. Who knew?

So it's Carbon Esprit SB for $599 or MH 5.1 for $650. I don't know a lot about the cartridges but it sounds like the Magic 3 is a pretty big upgrade over the Ortofon Red?

I'd like to keep the whole system cost under $1K ideally but the MH pushes it over that ($300 for the amp, and I'm just going to get pretty modest speakers for the small office - like the Pioneer BS22s. But you guys make such a strong case for the MH!!)

I once had a Music Hall 5.1. The version I had came with a Goldring 1012gx cartridge; the table worked flawlessly and sounded very nice. This is a very good turntable. I eventually added the speed box and a better mat to make it even better. I think I would consider the problems that so many people have had with the Project via the hum issue before I lay down the money.

Still would vote for the MH. The arm and overall design of the table are better. It will be better out of the box over the Pro-ject even with the acrylic platter. I had an acrylic platter on my 5.1 and got rid of it in favor of the cork mat. The platter on the 5.1 is very heavy, you can even run it without a mat.

Back
Top Bottom