Denon DP 300F Belt Driven Turntable

I think the Insignia 100 watt/channel is made for best buy by Sherwood. I have the Sherwood RX-4109 in my basement and it has been a decent performer and is a sister ship, although it has a phono input. Enjoy your system!

I think the Insignia 100 watt/channel is made for best buy by Sherwood. I have the Sherwood RX-4109 in my basement and it has been a decent performer and is a sister ship, although it has a phono input. Enjoy your system!
The only Sherwood worth buying is R-972. Unfortunately it can be only got used now.

Stevepwolf,

Did you get the system yet? If you did, what did you end up with and how did you like it?

Stevepwolf,

Did you get the system yet? If you did, what did you end up with and how did you like it?

i did; i have the setup i posted above.

in the month i've had it, i can't be happier. i know i could spend a fortune more on amp/preamp/speakers, but this does exactly what i need it to. it sounds better than digital (in my opinion), and it makes for a really nice piece in the living room, instead of a tv.

i decided to invest my money into actual vinyl, instead of having an awesome system with nothing to play on it.
i'm at about 20-25 records; using my denon every night!

OK, I bought one of these new off eBay today. I previously got a Realistic Lab 420 though it won't turn off after a record or even produce sound once I recieved it. I'll fix that up down the track.

Hopefully my Denon DL103R Sounds good on the DP300F

when upgrading to a Shure m97xe or Ortofon; do i need to recalibrate where the needle sits?

i just followed the manual's instructions when setting up the TT for the 1st time.

Steve, have you finished setting up your new cartridge, if so, how does everything sound now?

i have yet to buy one, simply because i don't know how to recalibrate where the needle sits....

i suppose this weekend i might look at the video Macnoob linked to.

i have yet to buy one, simply because i don't know how to recalibrate where the needle sits....

i suppose this weekend i might look at the video Macnoob linked to.

The video shows aligning a cartridge with a 2-point alignment protractor. If you were to buy the Shure M97xE, such a protractor is included in the box (though a simple cardboard one, it works the same). Your manual also shows, on page 6, that the proper overhang is achieved by ensuring that the stylus tip is 45mm from the base of the headshell, then aligning the body so that it is parallel in the headshell. My preference is to use a Geo-Disc alignment protractor because I prefer the simplicity of its one-point design (these currently sell for $50; I consider mine a good value since I bought it 30 years ago at the suggestion of my Linn dealer and it has given me decades of simple, accurate cartridge alignment on a variety of turntables).

The best instructions I've seen for using a 2-point protractor is at Vinyl Engine under the heading "stupid protractors."

http://www.vinylengine.com/protractor-user-guide.shtml

How to use this kind of protractor?

Two grids and a hole: the aim is to obtain a perfect alignment with the two sets of lines and the cartridge body.

First use the grid closest to the spindle hole. Put the cartridge in the middle of the headshell; twist the cartridge clockwise or anti-clockwise in order for you to observe the alignment with the grid. When it’s right, go to the second grid.

If the cartridge must be rotated clockwise (or anti-clockwise) to be aligned with the second grid, move the cartridge forwards (or backwards) in the headshell, then go back to the first grid. Align the cartridge and check with the second grid; repeat until alignment is achieved at both points.​

With this method, all of the alignment (that is, rotating the cartridge in the headshell to align with the grid) takes place at the inner null point. The outer null point basically checks overhang. As the instructions note, if you've aligned the cartridge with the inner grid but the outer grid shows you'd have to rotate the cartridge clockwise to line it up, then that means your cartridge is too far back in the headshell, so you move it forward a bit. You then align it again at the inner null point. When you check once again at the outer null point, you may find that you would now need to rotate it anti-clockwise to align it; that means you've gone too far forward and need to move the cartridge back a bit in the headshell.

As you can imagine, it may take a few attempts to arrive at just the right spot, but when the cartridge shows proper alignment at both the inner and outer grids, then you know that you have both the proper overhang and the correct alignment in the headshell. Another possible frustration is that the cartridge may move or rotate slightly when you tighten the screws holding the cartridge in place, which means you get to align it all over again. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

A one-point protractor such as the Geo-Disc simplifies the process by using some other means than going back and forth between two null points to determine the correct overhang. With the Geo-Disc, a ridge on the protractor is sighted toward the center of the tonearm's pivot point. This puts its single grid at the correct distance for proper overhang, so all that's left is moving the cartridge forward or back so that the stylus tip rests in dimple in the white circle and rotating the cartridge to align with the grid markings.

By the way, I don't think there's anything wrong with the stock cartridge, and you had written, "in the month i've had it, i can't be happier." I would suggest just enjoying the turntable as is until you've worn out the stock stylus. At that point, you can either simply get a new stylus for it (avoiding any alignment hassles) or decide to try a different cartridge. Installing one really isn't all that hard, especially once you've done it a few times (and it's nice that Denon included extra headshell wires, just in case you break one), but if you have a local shop to buy from, you can let them install and align it for you.

The video shows aligning a cartridge with a 2-point alignment protractor. If you were to buy the Shure M97xE, such a protractor is included in the box (though a simple cardboard one, it works the same). Your manual also shows, on page 6, that the proper overhang is achieved by ensuring that the stylus tip is 45mm from the base of the headshell, then aligning the body so that it is parallel in the headshell. My preference is to use a Geo-Disc alignment protractor because I prefer the simplicity of its one-point design (these currently sell for $50; I consider mine a good value since I bought it 30 years ago at the suggestion of my Linn dealer and it has given me decades of simple, accurate cartridge alignment on a variety of turntables).

The best instructions I've seen for using a 2-point protractor is at Vinyl Engine under the heading "stupid protractors."

http://www.vinylengine.com/protractor-user-guide.shtml

How to use this kind of protractor?

Two grids and a hole: the aim is to obtain a perfect alignment with the two sets of lines and the cartridge body.

First use the grid closest to the spindle hole. Put the cartridge in the middle of the headshell; twist the cartridge clockwise or anti-clockwise in order for you to observe the alignment with the grid. When it’s right, go to the second grid.

If the cartridge must be rotated clockwise (or anti-clockwise) to be aligned with the second grid, move the cartridge forwards (or backwards) in the headshell, then go back to the first grid. Align the cartridge and check with the second grid; repeat until alignment is achieved at both points.​

With this method, all of the alignment (that is, rotating the cartridge in the headshell to align with the grid) takes place at the inner null point. The outer null point basically checks overhang. As the instructions note, if you've aligned the cartridge with the inner grid but the outer grid shows you'd have to rotate the cartridge clockwise to line it up, then that means your cartridge is too far back in the headshell, so you move it forward a bit. You then align it again at the inner null point. When you check once again at the outer null point, you may find that you would now need to rotate it anti-clockwise to align it; that means you've gone too far forward and need to move the cartridge back a bit in the headshell.

As you can imagine, it may take a few attempts to arrive at just the right spot, but when the cartridge shows proper alignment at both the inner and outer grids, then you know that you have both the proper overhang and the correct alignment in the headshell. Another possible frustration is that the cartridge may move or rotate slightly when you tighten the screws holding the cartridge in place, which means you get to align it all over again. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

A one-point protractor such as the Geo-Disc simplifies the process by using some other means than going back and forth between two null points to determine the correct overhang. With the Geo-Disc, a ridge on the protractor is sighted toward the center of the tonearm's pivot point. This puts its single grid at the correct distance for proper overhang, so all that's left is moving the cartridge forward or back so that the stylus tip rests in dimple in the white circle and rotating the cartridge to align with the grid markings.

By the way, I don't think there's anything wrong with the stock cartridge, and you had written, "in the month i've had it, i can't be happier." I would suggest just enjoying the turntable as is until you've worn out the stock stylus. At that point, you can either simply get a new stylus for it (avoiding any alignment hassles) or decide to try a different cartridge. Installing one really isn't all that hard, especially once you've done it a few times (and it's nice that Denon included extra headshell wires, just in case you break one), but if you have a local shop to buy from, you can let them install and align it for you.

i actually ended up buying a shure m97xe + jico sas stylus. the shure got to my house on friday, and i'm waiting for the jico. i'm just going to use the stock cartridge until my jico comes in, then pay my local shop to install and align. i called them, and they said they'd install/align for $20.

unfortunately, Jico emailed me and said the stylus is on backorder, and will take another 4 weeks. :tears:

Hey all,

I've bought this TT a few weeks ago and generally I like it a lot. However, when using the automatic play feature, the needle drops a little bit too far to the middle of the record, thereby skipping the first 5 or 10 seconds or so of the LP. Anybody know how to adjust this?

Cheers
LTMF

Try adjusting the anti-skating a bit and see if that helps.oh yeah, almost forgot... Double check that your tracking force is not too light. good luck!

Needle drop position for Denon DP 300F

As you probably know there is nothing regarding changing the drop position in the manual. However, you could check Vinylengine which has the repair manual as well as the parts diagram and list for the DP-300F. You should be able to get some more information there

Thanks njmpmcc! I downloaded the repair manual from Vinylengine and adjusted the lead in. Working fine now.

I'm off to spin me some vinyl! :music:

Love my new DP300f

Am enjoying my new turntable. Have made a few tweaks and have a picture to show what you can do to clip the arm down as some have noted the need for. Plays old vinyl very well as well as newer. Great sounding turntable for the money and recommended. Very quiet and attractive too! Wood base is from a vintage turntable I had and makes a great isolation platform as modified.

Attachments

• IMG_2982e.jpg
    IMG_2982e.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2987.jpg
    IMG_2987.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2994.jpg
    IMG_2994.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2991.jpg
    IMG_2991.jpg