February 6th-Chicago-Area Get Together, Anyone Interested?

I just realized as per Robie's instructions, that I dont know what a "breezeway" is. I guess I'll just have to wing it. leaving in 10 min.

Breezeway...area connecting garage to main part of home. In this case enclosed. See you there! :thmbsp:

Its a great day the first sunshine Iv seen in quite a bit.Hope every one has a fun and safe day.

Wow, I just got a heads up from a member last night and saw it today about this. I wish I could join in but already have plans with the little woman, last year I had to work Ugggh.... I really have to check the events more often. I hope all you guys and girls have a blast today! No pun intended:D

Colette and Bob...Thank you so much for hosting a great event again this year! Had a fantastic time....The best one so far!

Cheers.

......The best one so far!

Yes it was, Zekeman! Everyone, thanks for coming!

Zenithman1, sorry we missed you.

My wife counted 31 in attendance at one arbitrary point in the afternoon.

Since HandyHamlet is a pro photographer, he was kind enough to take pictures. He and I will be working on posting them with some captions as soon as we can get our acts together.

Yes, it was a great time. Bob and Colette, you two are fantastic! I can't wait to see Todd's pictures as well. Thanks again to our hosts and to all the great AKers who attended.

After cleaning things up a bit, I found a blue "Mini, Mini Mag" (2 AAA battery size) flashlight with pocket clip should someone be missing one. PM me and we'll figure out the best way to get it to you.

Bob, Thanks for having us there! As a first-timer, I was blown away by the gear, the food and the company. Joanne and I felt very welcome. Everyone was great. It was great putting faces to screen names. The quantity and quality of the gear lugged to your house was amazing. We were able to hear things that I am certain I'll never be able to afford.

I was discussing the release of the upcoming Jimi Hendrix CD with someone but I can't recall whom it was now. The album is called "Valleys of Neptune" and its release date is March 9th.

Additionally, I was discussing the song "Hey Joe" and how Hendrix and the garage band, the Leaves released the song at about the same time. Wonder whatever happened to The Leaves? LOL Hendrix smoked them. Here' a wiki about the song for the kitchen group I discussed it with....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Joe .

What a great time and a great group of guys (and a few girls, LOL)

Awesome party! Thanks to Bob and Colette for being the best hosts! It was really nice to see some of my AK friends again!

Just like to echo the sentiments here, thanks so much to Bob and Colette for opening up your home to all of us.

It was a very interesting day, with the opportunity to hear different combinations of gear with very different results, and chat with fellow audionuts.

I hope somebody took pictures so I can see what I missed. Packing for a sooner than expected move took away my Saturday but I missed you guys and thought about it all day. I really wanted to hear Dan's DQ-28s.

ak

Hey Bob and Colette
As always you are great hosts,opening your home to all of us was very kind.I enjoyed listening to all the diffrent equiptment and talking to all the Ak members.
Again Thanks
Mike
:thmbsp: :music: :banana:

I think it would be cool for everyone who attended to post what equipment they brought and what other equipment made your piece sound good/best.

In the basement, I really liked my Rega ELAs and B&W DM3000s via blzatrl123's Dynaco Mk3s and Tom's Cayin. Not sure what pre we were using at the time (Eastern Electric?) though.

Upstairs, I liked my A25s with ekmanning5's Eico.

Last edited:
I think it would be cool for everyone who attended to post what equipment they brought and what other equipment made your piece sound good/best.

In the basement, I really liked my Rega ELAs and B&W DM3000s via blzatrl123's Dynaco Mk3s and Tom's Cayenne. Not sure what pre we were using at the time (Eastern Electric?) though.

Upstairs, I liked my A25s with ekmanning5's Eico.

My Van L Quartets sounded best with the Dynaco Mk3s. Of course my speaker stands with the highly sophisticated bottom plate damping mod sounded pretty good with everything...

I hope somebody took pictures so I can see what I missed. Packing for a sooner than expected move took away my Saturday but I missed you guys and thought about it all day. I really wanted to hear Dan's DQ-28s.

Just finished editing posting a few pics in the Member's Gallery (HandyHamlet). I will work on the descriptions next with Bob's help!

http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=63806

I would like to publicly thank Bob and Colette for opening their house to us. Their hospitality is unequaled. I'm grateful to have rubbed elbows with some of the legendary AK celebs including Markthefixer. It truly was a pleasure and huge learning experience meeting fellow AKers. The only disappointment is I couldn't meet everyone.

Thanks again Bob and Colette.

EDIT:
If anyone wants to edit or add to the photo discriptions please jump in and tell me.
Thanks,
T

Last edited:
I'm partial to my little Eico of course, and I really enjoyed hooking it up to the smaller Klipsch speakers. Who's were they again (thanks :thmbsp:)?
But by far the best two pairings of the day IMNSHO, were Mikes Dynaco Mk 3 and Bob's Rega speakers, and Tom's Cayenne amp matched up with Bob's B&Ws. WOW!

Robie and Colette,

Thank you for hosting a great party.
It was fun to hear the different synergies of the gear.
So many great people in the group you bring together.

Thanks

Tom

I was also impressed with Robies Rega on the Dynas,They sounded allot bigger that they are.Good sound stage and bass.I also was impressed with Eds Eico only 15 watts and sounding good. Liked Jims little squse box. Had a graet time. Again Robie thanks for having us.

:music:

Awesome party, as usual.

Great gear, great music, and many great conversations.

Cheers, Snade

Thank you to our fantastic hosts. this was my first ak meet, and I learned a lot about symmetry and the sound of tubes. I had brought my Sansui Seven and tried it on a few things. while it sounded nice, I believe Robie's suggestion of a recap is probably the next logical step.

I had completely forgotten that I wanted to hear that Sansui au999 that had been reconditioned. damn.. next time.

thanks to all for the experience and great conversations. I hope to meet many more of you at future meets. at this one, I stayed in the background mostly, listening to others who know more than me.

Thanks again!

oh yeah, I also couldnt believe the rega's and the dynas together. It makes me wonder, was it the raw power, or the fact that it was dual mono blocks driving that made those regas open up like that. or was it the pre amp??!!! I'll admit, that whole combo really threw me.

Back
Top Bottom