found the mother lode!!

MONGOMIKEY

scrupled-one
while going thru more junk left behind from my folks i came upon the mother lode! a pair of ar2 speakers that look like their in pristine condition, and a rough estimate of about 500 to 600 albums. i had always wondered where they went. tons of jackie gleason, duke ellington, miles davis, even a george liberace!!...a bunch:D. havent had the time to look thru all of em yet. one box set of jackie gleason never been opened. whoo hooo. i remember seeing some amps sitting around when i was little but havent found them yet. i am not familiar with the ar2's so what do i need to watch for. they have a date of May 1960 in pencil on the back. do i need to refoam these or did they use cloth surrounds? i really hate to open the case up if i don't have to. which terminal denotes the "red" wire side and which terminal denotes the "black" wire side. and which reciever would be better to power them until i find the amps? my kenwood kr-9600 or 2600?. i know he had several garrard model 210 tt's as one is still at the store. are these 210's worth cleaning up and using or will they cause more problems than their worth? woooohooooo!!
thanks for any help you can give me. dave

I grab J.G. anytime I see one, don't even bother to check the condition. He defines the word "lush" (the adjective, not the noun ;) ) for me.

Too much fun ...eh? hook up the ar's blk=neg -, red=pos +, do you have speaker wire? Will be outta phase if you reverse those from Kenwood to ar's, TT working?
Craig

i have the wire but the connections on the back of the speaker aren't marked as pos, neg. they are marked 1 and 2. i found a 3rd speaker tonight.. its has a metal tag that reads "Audio Engineered Sound" and right below that it says "High Fidelity". ever heard of such a beast. from feeling the front it has one cutout for i am assuming a woofer. ever heard of it? tt..haven't hooked up yet. i would assume it will tho thanks

i'd go down to the speaker forum and poke around ask about ar2's and the 1 snd 2 meaning, it won't hurt them if you do it wrong just will sound not quite right. keep the volume lowish until you know the ohm's of the speaker with the Kenwood. I'm off will check back with ya tomorrow, very pleased for you,old LP's stand up well even in a shed if stored upright,have any Q's put them up, I'll help as much as I csn==an
Craig

i'd go down to the speaker forum and poke around ask about ar2's and the 1 snd 2 meaning, it won't hurt them if you do it wrong just will sound not quite right. keep the volume lowish until you know the ohm's of the speaker with the Kenwood. I'm off, will check back with ya tomorrow, very pleased for you,old LP's stand up well even in a shed if stored upright,have any Q's put them up, I'll help as much as I can
Craig

It doesn't matter which terminal you designate as pos or neg as long as you do it the same for both speakers. As long as they are in phase with each other the absolute phase doesn't matter.

Can't help you on wattage but I'm sure the speaker gurus around here can.

Nice finds...and right at home too!

According to the "Classic Speaker Pages" website in one of their PDF files, the "0" terminal of each channel of the amplifier should be connected to terminal "1" and the "hot" terminal of the amplifier should be connected to terminal "2". I take that as meaning number 1 is negative and 2 is positive.
Best of luck..........Dave

Not sure about the AR-2 speakers, but I assume they are very similar to the AR-2ax speakers, which I have. The bad news is that you will almost certainly have to do some work on them. The good news is that it isn't really all that difficult, and the results make it more than worth doing.

Basically:

(1) Remove the grills. This has to be done carefully, first pulling out any staples and/or nails/screws you find (usually staples). Then, using a wide thing like a paint scraper, gently pry and lift around the edges. Don't force it or you'll break things; just go gently until the glue loosens up and the grills come free. They will, if you are patient and keep working at it, and have taken all the staples out.

(2) You will need to remove the woofers to get access to the inside where the crossover is (mounted on the back wall of the box).

(3) BEWARE! The "rock wool" or fiberglass stuff used as dampening inside these speakers will cause horrible itching if you get it on your skin. Wear protective gloves (regular rubber kitchen gloves should do, but heavier ones might be better) and don't have exposed skin. Carefully lift out the wool stuff and put it in a big plastic bag. It's probably best to throw it out, and replace it with some less obnoxious stuff, like dacron pillow stuffing.

(4) Once you have that out, you can remove the crossover. You don't have to, but it is much easier to work on it if it is removed first. If you decide to remove it, you should need to de-solder a few wires to get it out; take a picture and mark (using taped-on labels) which ones go where, so you can re-solder them correctly. The crossover will come out through the hole where the woofer was.

(5) You will need to replace the capacitor. There should be (if I remember right) only one capacitor. Solen makes an excellent replacement.

(6) Here is the tricky part: there is a rotary control for the tweeter, which is almost always corroded, due to a chemical reaction involving the two dissimilar metals, accelerated by the sulfurous fumes given off by the rock wool stuff. This needs to be cleaned. A dremel tool works best for this. Here you have several options: clean it up, and if it isn't corroded beyond redemption, leave it in. It will probably gradually corrode up again. Or you can solder the wire at the end ("full") position and leave it that way, no longer adjustable. Or you can replace it with a modern L-pad. Or you can take it out completely, replacing it with a resistor. Search under "AR-2" and "AR-2ax" and you'll find threads with detailed discussions of these options, and lots of pics and how-to explanations with more detail than I'm giving here. Once you have the crossover fixed up, replace it, using something like silicon caulk or rope caulk to make it air-tight, and wire everything back up.

(7) The woofer surrounds on these should be made out of coated cloth, not foam. They will last almost forever with occasional re-doping, but after time the coating weakens, dries,hardens and shrinks, and becomes porous. There are several things that can be used to re-dope them, including diluted silicon caulk and even Elmer's Glue-All; again, search (as mentioned above) and you'll find discussions of the pros and cons of each of the alternatives you can use.

(8) Re-mount the woofer, using something like rope caulk (duct caulk) to make the seal between the basket and the front baffle air-tight. It is important that no air can escape from the box behind the woofers; not from around the woofer, nor around the crossover board, nor through the woofer surround cloth, nor anywhere else.

(9) The last part is entirely up to you: re-do the cabinets cosmetically, using something like Howard's Restore-a-Finish or repeated coats of rubbed Tung Oil. Similarly, clean or re-cover the cloth grills.

It sounds like a lot of work the way I describe it, but if you read up on it first, actually doing it seems a lot easier than you'd expect. It's a nice project for a couple hours on a weekend, and the rewards afterwards are well worth it. These early AR speakers really sound nice! :music: :thmbsp:

Be sure to read up on these using the search function here, and do search both the 2 and 2ax models to get all the info/suggestions. Just follow the suggestions, and once you've done one, you'll wonder why you ever thought it would be such a chore. It isn't, really; anyone can do it. Good luck! :thmbsp:

found the amp that was used with the tt. its a heathkit a-9c. has a little metal horn(tweeter) hooked to it also. on the back of it is "calnad hi-fi ct-1" and 8 ohm. also found a bogen challenger amp. plugged the tt in and things seem to move. gotta go the tornado sirens are goin off again. i greatly appreciate all this help. thanks a bunch...dave

found the amp that was used with the tt. its a heathkit a-9c. has a little metal horn(tweeter) hooked to it also. on the back of it is "calnad hi-fi ct-1" and 8 ohm. also found a bogen challenger amp. plugged the tt in and things seem to move. gotta go the tornado sirens are goin off again. i greatly appreciate all this help. thanks a bunch...dave

Here ya on the sirens Dave(ex texan here) Take care! And take pic's of every thing! Helps you and maybe others down the line, hopefully me soon
Craig

Its possible that the caps in the crossover are just fine. The early ARs predate electrolytic caps, and so use foil and paper caps. While I suppose they may not sound as good as some caps, they don't go off like electrolytics.
The potentiometer, on the other hand, will probably be a problem. But try the speakers before you assume they need lots of work. If you do pull the grill off, as already mentioned, be careful not to break it. And then don't freak out when you see the cross firing tweeters and how lumpy they are -- they were packed with fiberglass which pushes them up, but doesn't really seem to affect the sound too much.
Those tweeters are actually almost a little full range speaker, and so the high end is not great. The Calrad tweeter was probably being used as a super tweeter to cover the last octave.
My first pair of speakers was a 2 and a 2a with Radioshack Electrostats for the high end. Don't know that all the subsequent speakers have given me more pleasure, though they have been way better technically.
Incidentally, I think that the 2s may have potentiometers instead of Lpads, so if the pot is turned all the way up, the impedance drops considerably. If this is correct (I remember Consumer Reports commenting on this, but that was a long time ago, even when I read it in old issues in the stacks at the library), than probably its a good idea not to parallel them with another pair of speakers.

Back
Top Bottom