I have a question about speakers.

nevermind

First let me tell you about my system :

CD Player - NAD C521BEE + Supra LoRad Power Cable.
Amplifier - NAD C320BEE + Supra LoRad Power Cable.
DAC - An old Audio Alchemy V1.0
Passive Preamplifier - Musical Fidelity X-10 + NOS Valves Siemens ECC85
Phono - Pro-ject III
Phono Preamp. - NAD PP2
Interconnects - QED Qunex S2
Speaker cables - Supra Rondo 4x2,5

And my question is :
I have B&W Matrix 2S2 from the 80's (witch i love)and a few weeks a go i bought the B&W CDM1 SE from a friend of mine (very good price) and i thought that it woud be an upgrade in my system.
Ofcourse i have a little more detail but why do i have more soul,more "music"
from a set of speakers from 20 years a go??

Sorry about my english.

Have fun
ciao.

The old Matrix and Nautilus speakers are hard to beat. Age seldom has much to do with performance, though expectations in the bass department are a bit more than they were 50 years ago.
Late Bottled Vintage is very good, but not as good as Vintage. I know the 63 Fonseca is still great, even if I can no longer afford to buy it.
Music, food, wine, cars, and audio gear.......the great ones stay great. The bad ones are better than none but one tends to invest in what is important.

Hi nevermind :)

(my thinking) After reading what you have and what you want...I would suggest getting rid of the NAD cd player (I've owned two). To stay fairly inexpensive and to get some "soul" for your music you may want to try something like the original (or new) Rega Planet or maybe something in a tubed CDp.

ciao

dan

I'm not familiar with the B&Ws, but I know my old Advents do something that new speakers can't. There's something to be said for the "old" tech. Though, in my very limited experience, it all reached a peak sometime in the '70s or '80s.

gonefishin said:
Hi nevermind :)

(my thinking) After reading what you have and what you want...I would suggest getting rid of the NAD cd player (I've owned two). To stay fairly inexpensive and to get some "soul" for your music you may want to try something like the original (or new) Rega Planet or maybe something in a tubed CDp.

ciao

dan

Get a cheap multi player and a tube DAC........ B&W aren't real tube friendly from what I have read, so maybe a source change will do what you want.

I have been seeing and listening to a lot of Scott Nixon tube DACs over the last year. Getting a good DAC lets you try lots of inexpensive players. The new Toshiba multi disc player (plays only one disc at a time) for $110 now plays SACDs too, and I have had good luck with Toshiba players. The 1st one I bought plays 24 bit and has worked like a charm and sounds good after 6 years. I will admit the 192 hz players can get a bit bright, but a DAC takes care of that.

Thanks for the advises guys.
Sometimes i change the NAD for an old Roksan DP1,that i owened for many years,to listen to Folk and Alt.Country music and i feel great.For Rock music i prefer the Nad with the Audio Alchemy and the "buffer" X10-D between the Nad Player and the Nad power.I've changed the EEC88 that came with the Buffer to NOS valves ECC85 from Siemens and it makes a huge difference.

Stay tuned
Ciao

Back
Top Bottom