I Regressed And Bought A New Watch

The showman is...def different. Kinda reminds me of a "Monty Python" twist in his presentation.

Typical Brit with the barrage of words coming at you! Animation comes to mind, eh?

Will watch it again, to let it "soak" in!

Q

He's something of an acquired taste, but I've come to enjoy his goofiness and humor.

-Pat

UV/white LED can work.
The old school pocket watches never had shock proofed balance bushings, and the end cap stones, where used against the rounded polished pivots, further incrementally reduced train friction drag, lube reservoir notwithstanding.
I haven't tried using a white/UV LED yet. I just remember taking a photo of my Golden Hour clock using a Polaroid camera (remember those?), and seeing the radium markings glowing for the first time in decades. I've had similar experiences taking photos of military radio gear with meters bearing luminescent markings, like my R-390A/URR, and seeing the old lume glowing for the first time in a long time.

With regards to the extra jewels, as one of the articles I linked to states, the movement in this "Waltham 25" started out with 17 jewels as imported (supposedly, watch movements bearing more than 17 jewels were subject to tariffs), but was 'up-jeweled' to 25 sometimes afterwards. Supposedly, this was done as part of the aforementioned 'oil reservoir', but I'm not sure exactly how much utility said 'jewel inflation' actually offered.
Yes I've got a couple more 5606's for the collection, I wasn't aware of the quickset flaw. However I have noticed day/date misalignment being a bit of a "feature" on various Seiko calibres. I've a couple of 6548 quartz watches to sort out that issue amongst others, a 6139 with day stuck fast.

I'm reluctant to use the quickset feature even on my old Omega 565's which are pretty robust. Watch maker warned against me using the feature around twenty years ago.

Here's my 5606-7310 Lordmatic with a prism dial, it looks beautiful in the sun. I fitted it up with an matching blue strap. Actually I might wear this one today.

View attachment 3061282
Nice Lord Matic! :thumbsup: The 5606 was the standard day/date movement used in these Lord Matics, as well as some King Seiko models (other ones used the 'hi beat' 5626 version, which has similar issues). I'm not sure if the plastic wheel rocker was used in any other Seiko day/date movements besides the 5606 and 5626. I've been relatively lucky with the few vintage day/date watches I've owned; most of my older watches either are date only (or no date at all), or don't offer a quickset feature (grumble grumble Timex grumble grumble). My modern-ish Seiko 5s with 7S26 movements like this one haven't yet given me any issues with the quickset, so maybe they've switched to a more durable part since then.
-Adam

Yet another watch acquisition to report. This one is a Caravelle, model unknown, which I bought for $30. Caravelle was (and still is) a Bulova brand, which they used on entry-level watches sold in department stores. The 'M9' code on the back of the case dates it to 1969. Not sure if the Scott stretch band is original to the watch, but it's in good shape for its age. The manual wind movement is Japanese, likely the 11DP made for them by Citizen (not sure if it's the 7 or 17 jewel version, but I suspect the former). It runs over 24 hours on a wind, though when it stops, the second hand is usually parallel to the minute hand, so there may be some slight rubbing going on between the two. Anyway, here are a couple of photos:
caravelle1.jpg
caravelle2.jpg

LIP - the Dauphine (design 1957) :

View attachment 3061287View attachment 3061288View attachment 3061291

The 1st at left is the classic 1957 model look. :)

I know that my Christmas gift will be the 2nd one, with dark blue dial. :cool:

The 3rd at right commemorates the struggle of employees - the LIPs - to take over the company as a cooperative and save their business in March 1973, from the hands of unscrupulous and incompetent shareholders, who had “unloaded” their boss Mr. Fred Lip. The dial mentions C'est possible : on fabrique, on vend, on se paie ! (It's possible: we make, we sell, we pay ourselves !). 1973 units will be made and numbered. Available in March 2024. Oh, I could be tempted... :D

The LIP watches have been created by Mr. Lipmann (the grandfather of Fred Lip) circa 1850 in Besançon - France (as stated in the lower part of the dial), and the production is still made there today.

Moreover, these are affordable models - have a look at their website : https://www.lip.fr/en/

T
Thanks putting me onto LIP. Was wondering what to get my wife for Xmas and she wears watches. As a retired professor of French, she really appreciated the Montres LIP. Plus, they got it to me in four days from France.
She took the grandkids to Quebec City this week while I get to stay at home and listen to as much and as loud as I want.
LIP.png

Last edited:
I just received this Original Grain Whiskey Espresso watch for my birthday. Love it! They make watches out of various types of barrels and more recently leftover pcs of Martin Guitars. Movement is decent, Japanese Miyota Citizen Quartz movement.

IMG_0030.JPG

Junghans Automatic "Max Bill"

(Designed by Max Bill in 1960.)

027/3501.00

"Self-winding movement J800.1, luminous hands and appliques, stainless steel case, convex hard Plexiglass with Sicralan coating, milanaise bracelet with safety buckle."

Understated elegance at it's best. Actually too expensive for me, but I only live once - so it is on my wrist since October.

Last edited:
Thanks putting me onto LIP. Was wondering what to get my wife for Xmas and she wears watches. As a retired professor of French, she really appreciated the Montres LIP. Plus, they got it to me in four days from France.

1703883290351.png

Yes, indeed ! A nice Christmas present for Mrs. - A LIP Dauphine in women size... She certainly appreciated it ! :hug: - As I appreciate mine, of course ! ;)

1703883674004.png

T

Junghans Automatic "Max Bill"

(Designed by Max Bill in 1960.)

027/3501.00

"Self-winding movement J800.1, luminous hands and appliques, stainless steel case, convex hard Plexiglass with Sicralan coating, milanaise bracelet with safety buckle."

Understated elegance at it's best. Actually too expensive for me, but I only live once - so it is on my wrist since October.

I had to go have a look on line Chris......wow. Beautifully executed. Now filed in my "Cool Watches " folder

Max Bill.jpg

Building up a collection of Lord Matics. The latest is another 5606-5000, this time with a black dial.

Haven't got a photo of it yet so here's one from the web. There's a version with Roman numerals which looks a little cluttered. This has the plain indices.

5606-5000.jpg

View attachment 3074004View attachment 3074003
My Chinese Patek Philippe homage using the Seagull ST19 chronograph movement derived from the Venus 175. Hopefully, it's worth the 150 bucks I splurged at AliExpress.;)

I have a few of these homages . Bond Spectre 300 (in blue and black) , Speedmaster, Blancpain 50 fathoms. Good for when you can't cough up the $15,000 or so for the original and like the styling. There would be AUD $42,000 sitting on the table if these were the real deal.

IMG_2046.jpg

Last edited:
I don't want to throw this thread off the track, but it seems there is lots of knowledge here. I have a late 90's Seiko titanium watch I purchased while in Bahrain. I love the watch but it has stopped working. I have taken it to the best repair shop in my area with no luck. They verified it was original, but could not get it going. Any help to find a place where it can be repaired would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom