Luxman R-117 Recap

Would like to see details of your mod

I also have an R-117 that I'd like to recap. Would you please share your photos and tips/tricks? Thanks.

Seth

I also have an R-117 that I'd like to recap. Would you please share your photos and tips/tricks? Thanks.

Seth
Will do...It's going to be later in June. I have been sitting back and enjoying the Recap work.:music:

Just need to take a break...Have a Pioneer SX-1250 I got last summer. Was going to be a Winter Project but some Luxman gear(L-480 & L-5) got in front of this.

Hi to all...Am I to assume the electrolytics (NP) are bi-polars? You may want to check your capacitor #'s on your list for the power supply and back up power supply....the values and voltages are correct but the capacitor #'s for the back-up PS should be 701 thru 705....I could be mistaken,

Last edited:
Hi to all...Am I to assume the electrolytics (NP) are bi-polars? You may want to check your capacitor #'s on your list for the power supply and back up power supply....the values and voltages are correct but the capacitor #'s for the back-up PS should be 701 thru 705....I could be mistaken,

No you are correct. Updated #s to correct values now. Cells where copied from one Excel Sheet to another in the design process which contained formulas and hard coded values as starting points and not reset to proper starting values for the location. Good catch.

just curious...were there any discrepancies found between the parts list and what was physically present on the board? I'm only changing the E-caps. One other mute point....I've heard so many at AK bash ceramic caps...it's obvious they are better than one would think...the lux is loaded with them. I'm not touching any of these....I don't want to change the sound at all...it's perfect to my ears.

just curious...were there any discrepancies found between the parts list and what was physically present on the board? I'm only changing the E-caps. One other mute point....I've heard so many at AK bash ceramic caps...it's obvious they are better than one would think...the lux is loaded with them. I'm not touching any of these....I don't want to change the sound at all...it's perfect to my ears.

If memory serves me correctly there were no differences between the published and the actual on the R117. FYI, all the capacitances were still within tolerance. As I pulled one and replaced it I measured both old and new and recorded the readings. I left all the ceramics as is. The TP117 did have at least two caps that were different from published however, I think I found this to be consistent in two different machines.

Cap order is in.

Main Cap: Hitachi Audio 10000uf 100v
Other Caps: Elna SILMIC II and Panasonic FR
BP Caps: Nichicon ES
Low Leakage: Nichicon KL
Tantalum: Replaced with Panasonic Stacked Film

I cannot find a replacement for 10000uf 125v.

Going to start Friday...Pics to follow.

What is the diameter needed, max height and lead spacing for the 10000uf 125V

Well....3 yrs later and it's time to work on this.....

So lets recap this R-117....I have a 1 Right Speaker relay that is slow. After searching and sending out Emails the Only Relay
for Speaker board is NTE R22-1D16-24

The Matsushita JR1a-DC24V-TV are long gone. The NTE are TV-5 rated...Panasonic does have a model to fit but not
TV-5 rated.

The small Matsushita DF2-DC12V are also long gone. Issue with replacement are the New Relays are smaller and the Pins will
not align. Cephos Electronic Circuits Ltd has relay modules. C-BT53 would fit. I will check on who sells these.

Also checking on Omron G5A-234P-533-DC12. Long gone but found NOS. Pins look good so lets get a few and see.

Next is the Main Caps...Or what can be installed.

LuxmanR117c.jpg

LuxmanR117d.jpg

Last edited:
Power Supply P.C. Board completed

Tip....Remove the Main P.C. Board Right to access the Caps for PS board so you do not need to remove that board.

LuxmanR117i.jpg

Main Caps

After searching and searching....I can Only find 10000uf 100V in which I ordered from Mouser. 10000uf 125V are not to be
found (searched for 120v-150v).

I going to wait for the Caps as to do a system check before I continue with the Front panel.
At this time an Easy unit to work on.

LuxmanR117n.jpg

Main Caps are in....The 10000uf 120v cannot be found. Now you can get the FleeBay Hitachi fakes but I would not.

"2" United Chemi-Con 10000uf 100v fits PERFECT.
Mouser: 661-ESMH101VND103MA6

Adjusted the Idle and Rock solid. Going to let this run all night.

LuxmanR117o.jpg

P5050597.JPG

LuxmanR117q.jpg

Thanks CohibaJoe for making this thread and retrex for posting the cap values.

I picked up one of these gems yesterday and it sounds wonderful. I will be referencing this thread as I freshen the unit up.

It does have a few issues that I found on further inspection, and I hope you don't mind if I ask some questions.

One thing I noticed when I popped the cover off is the two 85v 10000uf power supply capacitors are bulged on the tops. I will replace these asap with the 661-ESMH101VND103MA6 that you used, but I'm concerned that if those are bulged, then the 125v caps might be stressed also. Did you ever find a suitable replacement for the 125v caps?

The other issue I noticed is that someone replaced the speaker relays with Panasonic JSWASN-DC24V, which is only a 5 amp relay. These will be replaced asap. From your post, it looks like these should be 16 amp, and you used NTE R22-1D16-24. Can you confirm?

One last thing that I knew about when I bought the receiver: the left channel doesn't work when using the phono input. It works on all other inputs. No big deal for the price I paid, and I have an external preamp anyway. I have already given the unit a deoxit bath but still doesn't solve the issue. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Sorry for the long post on someone elses thread.

Back
Top Bottom