Marantz 1090 - need help on missing knob

SaintZa

Hi all, am new to this forum. I just acquire a marantz 1090, due to the missing knob I got it at a cheap discounted price. I have done some cleaning and testing. There is some light static sound as I turn the volume. Volume sometime soft while turning up and suddenly become loud.
Need some advice on the volume issue and also where can I find the missing knob to complete the 1090 to it original glory. Thanks all for help in advance.

Attachments

• 20150803_215320.jpg
    20150803_215320.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 44
Clean the volume control with some CAIG DeOxit D5. The 1090 knobs are 36mm x 17.6mm. They are just a little bigger than the 1030/40/60/70 knobs. I think the 1030/40/60/70 knobs would look ok if you can't find the 1090s. Try a WTB in Barter Town.

Last edited:
Clean the volume control with some CAIG DeOxit D5. The 1090 knobs are 36mm x 17.6mm. They are just a little bigger than the 1030/40/60/70 knobs. I think the 1030/40/60/70 knobs would look ok if you can't find the 1090s. Try a WTB in Barter Town.

Thanks, will try to open up the casing and do some internal spring cleaning with Deoxit. I hope I can find the original knobs p/n 2963154010 it stated in the service manual and it is the same knob for Marantz 3250 when I try google it. Look like it is going to be a long wait, before I can find the knobs.

However, I cannot find Barter Town in the forum? Only Barter Town Preview.

Trouble is, a set of knobs is likely going to cost more the the amp did.
Here in Dallas I've responded to CL ads and been shocked by what
a single knob costs. Volume knob on a Marantz was going to set me back $30.

Yes Keitht. You are right. But it either I use the money and save up for another vintage Marantz or I restore it and keep it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Manage to fine 3 original knob but with some oxidation. Need 1 more to go. Wish me luck.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

About the volume being low and then jumping up as the volume is turned up, often it is the protection relay contacts (oxidised/dirty) . I've had good long lasting results with opening the relay and cleaning the contacts, but usually a replacement is recommended.

Hold on, does the 1090 have a relay ? I cant see one on the few photos I just looked at... If no relay, then first thing to do of course is Deoxit.

About the volume being low and then jumping up as the volume is turned up, often it is the protection relay contacts (oxidised/dirty) . I've had good long lasting results with opening the relay and cleaning the contacts, but usually a replacement is recommended.

Hold on, does the 1090 have a relay ? I cant see one on the few photos I just looked at... If no relay, then first thing to do of course is Deoxit.
Ya will check it out. Hope it will helps.

Back
Top Bottom