MediaMonkey vs MusicBee?

Artie

I see a lot of people talking about MusicBee, so I just downloaded and installed it. I've been using MediaMonkey for years. They appear to be very similar. Just wondering if folks know what the major, (if any), differences are?

Thanks all;
Artie

MusicBee is much quicker to start with a large collection. Much quicker to rescan libraries. Much better on a small platform (I started using MB on a 1GB wintel Atom platform because MM couldn't run on it). Much better at fetching metadata. More configurable UI. Regularly updated.

The only thing I use MM for these days is manual physical library management, volume analysis and format conversion. But that may be because I'm just more familiar with it for those uses

Granted, I'm still using MM4. MM5 seems to have been in beta for years, whereas Steven, who writes MB in his spare time, seems to be a very efficient, productive programmer who gets on with stuff; his turnaround for bug reports is sometimes the same day.

I'd say it's worth it. The configurability can be a bit daunting, and you need to figure out how that system 'thinks', but I'm certainly a convert.

I've only just started playing with features other than playback of my personal rip library (such as radio stations). I also forgot its ability to fetch 'about' information as a track plays, or to get 'similar artists' suggestions.

Yeah . . . the one thing I'm trying to configure, is the left "file" panel. In MediaMonkey it looks similar to Windows Explorer, (which I like.) In MusicBee, it seems to list all the music in alphabetical order. Not ideal.

the one thing I'm trying to configure, is the left "file" panel.

If you've got the 'Folders' appearing in the Left Panel (Arrange Panels/Left Panel/folder browser), then there's a pull-down menu beside 'Folders'. Manage Folders/Choose Filtered Folders is useful, and then set it to only show filtered folders. I don't find it as nice as the MM physical interface.

You can also show Folders in the left sidebar (the one that pops out if you move the cursor to the LH edge of the screen).

You can also show Folders in the left sidebar (the one that pops out if you move the cursor to the LH edge of the screen).

Yeah . . . I've noticed that if I hit the folder name at the upper-left, it shows exactly what I want. (Left pic.) But as soon as I move the mouse over the center panel, it pops back. (Right pic.) Not a big deal. I'll try to do some critical listening to see (hear?) if I can hear a difference.

I'll try a couple different systems. Probably:

Laptop > Focusrite 2i2 > Proton 1100 > BeyerDynamic DT-770 Pro's

Laptop > Focusrite 18i8 > Luxman R117 and/or MAC4275 > Yammy 1000M's

MusicBee-01.jpg MusicBee-02.jpg

I have run Daphile on everything from a dual core AMD mini-PC, a Pentium D dual core, to my current AMD A10-9500 APU.

You will need, initially a mouse, KB, and monitor to install, but after that, you don't.

I'm looking at the "Logitech Media Server", (LMS), that I see people talk about. I'm getting more interested in the music server thang. But I'm not sure what the "Squeezebox" thing is. Is that necessary for LMS? I'm reading on, on my own, but if anyone had a quik-'n-dirty answer, that would be cool too.

I have run Daphile on everything from a dual core AMD mini-PC, a Pentium D dual core, to my current AMD A10-9500 APU.

You will need, initially a mouse, KB, and monitor to install, but after that, you don't.

Daphile is easily the best sound I've ever been able to get from a PC based music setup.

But I'm not sure what the "Squeezebox" thing is.

Squeezebox was a client device for LMS; a rendering endpoint. You don't need a genuine Squeezebox any more; you just need a Squeezelite client. This is a small program that runs on a large number of devices; PC, Mac, RPi, etc.

LMS also provides bridges to DLNA and Chromecast Audio endpoints.

Have a search on this subforum for LMS. There are some good threads.

I also run LMS on a headless Atom/Win7 embedded PC. I haven't really explored its full capabilities, but I'm impressed.

I'm not a great believer in the idea that any bit-true streamer can affect the sound quality. Provided it delivers the stream to the endpoint in a timely manner, it is the endpoint that determines audio quality. If the server (or endpoint) does some euphonic processing (be that some filtering or transcoding/resampling), then it isn't bit-true any more. Of course, it's your choice between euphonic processing and bit true, a bit like the use of tone controls. Neither is a wrong choice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom