My first pair of Headphones

JustinICT

I received my first pair of Headphones for Christmas. Grado SRe 60. So far love them. I dont know what to compare them to. But they're better then my earbuds, the closest thing I have ever had to headphones. I may look for a small amp just for headphones. Seems like a reasonable idea.

I guess the only thing so far i wish they had was a longer cord.

Well to my point... Is there anything as far as tips and info to make sure they last. And is there anything for me to be aware of before plugging them in any old amp? Do some amps sound better then others with Headphones as with speakers?

The biggest difference you are likely to notice is they may sound better after you get 50 or 100 hours of use on them.

Some headphones 'need' an amp more than others. Some headphones just require more power than what a phone can provide. This is where amps can make a big difference. I'm not much of a fan of Grados so I'm not sure if the 60s have a big benefit of using an amp.

The other thing to think about is do you want to have a portable amp so you can carry it with you or do you want a home unit?

Regardless, congrats on your new headphones. Enjoy them. :thumbsup:

start with your smartphone and ignore the fanbois about their biases. add a microSD card for "external" storage and move
your music to the phone. listen for a while and if its not what you need ( compared to a stereo system) then you can upgrade.
the music will probably be in MP format (varying resolutions) and can sound pretty good.

upgrades include improvements to your sound chain like moving to a 24/96 or better DAP (digital audio player) and maybe
an amp between the headphones and the DAP. these are under 150 and can be a source for hi-res sound into your stereo
system.

I would listen to the Grados ( I have the same model plus 4-5 others) and with a portable system, swap with others'
headphones to determine if the sound is better with other headphones.

The biggest difference you are likely to notice is they may sound better after you get 50 or 100 hours of use on them.

Good to know... look forward to breaking them in.

Another thing I noticed is others can hear them when I use them. All though not loud, I dont think you could use them in places where you are expected be silent for any reason. They're an "open air design" for a lack of better words and knowledge about headphone design. I noticed if I cup my hands around the phones it changes the sound.

This really wont effect me though. I plan on only using them at home.

I have a pair of Grado SR-60i's. I like their sound. However, the sound improved significantly after I replaced the original pads. The original pads were IMO uncomfortable.

I'm baffled by the notion that Grados with flat pads can be uncomfortable for some folks. After I bent/shaped the headband to adjust the clamping force, mine are as comfortable as any headphones can be. The headband "pad" could be softer, I guess...

Is there anything as far as tips and info to make sure they last.

I've had my original SR-60 since around 2003-2004... After about 10 years, one channel started to sound distorted, and the other sounded weak. Grado's customer service had me send them in along with a check for $25. For that price, they replaced both drivers with brand new ones and shipped them back. Took less than 2 weeks.

sr60e_alt.jpg

Congrats on your Grado headphones. I'm sure you'll like them even more as they finally break in. Mine took a few weeks or so, I guess, before they settled into the sound they have now.

As for the pads, judging by the pic above, you've got the good flat pads and those should be fine. Some Grados ship out with the L pad which is essentially a horrible torture device. You want to avoid the L pads at all cost. LOL If yours are like the ones in the pic above, perfect.

If at some point you decide to change the pads for a different style, I would absolutely recommend the G pads that were standard on Grado's TOTL. They're big foam bowls that pull the cups slightly off the ear. I put a set of those on my Grados last year I place of the original L pad, and it has completely changed my enjoyment of them. Here's a pic of what they look like and the seller on Amazon I got them from. They're usually about $20.

92D13D1D-2679-4428-BE15-BCDC66D57468_zpsegwtmzaa.jpg

That's an L pad at top left. They're hard, and have a raised ridge that digs into the outer ear. They're absolutely awful, as it's been stated earlier in this thread.

As far as a longer cable, Grado makes an extension cable. Check their site to see if it suits your needs. It's very long, probably a good 10 feet or so, but it's a nice heavy cable. Keep in mind though, it comes with the bigger 1/4" jacks on it, not the smaller jacks on your phone. Any 1/8" F to 1/8" M stereo extension should work fine though.

Enjoy your new headphones and treat them good! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom