New phono stage

marc mc

I picked up a Whest Two phono stage over a week ago and finally gave it a listen today. Don't get me wrong I've been itching to hear it but now that good weather is here my audio interest is in my garage system. And knowing that I would be focusing on the garage I have left the Whest in the box.

I heard it about a year ago and knew about its extension, dynamics and that it draws from tech higher up in the Whest line but its always a blast when you fire somthing up in your own system. And I was not disappointed. I can't wait to hear it after its warmed up for a couple days but it is very impressive ice cold.

I get in crap for being a source first guy. I have this silly idea that no componant can make up for music that the source never pulls off the disc. The Whest Two has simply made me more dedicated to that position. You can't gain the ground downstream that the Whest makes up in the beginning. And all ground that is gained downstream is increased by a better source.

marc mc

Last edited:
Dual mono, huh? So it sends the L and R signal to your amp (or pre) separately? With the right system, the L and R would never have to mess with one another. Neat (if I understand correctly).

I'll be interested in your listening impressions after a few days of warming it up.

Ken

Likewise on the review after it has been in rotation for a while. Let us know what you had used in comparison.
I have not heard it firsthand, but the reviews imply it's a bargain, many borrowed parts from an elite stage.
Lump me in the source first group when it comes to analog. I'm a firm believer in the bottleneck theory.

It always starts at the source, but can sure get choked along the way! I would love to hear your review. While I really like the Bellari VP129 (Mullard re-issue) I'm using, I'm positive that it is choking the TD160 hotrod/Sumiko Blackbird combo that feeds it. It sure sounds good though!
Regards,
Jim

I would love to hear more of your impression of it after you live with it awhile as well. I love my phono stage but it isn't that versatile and someday I'll have to upgrade. You know where I stand with the source first debate...

Back
Top Bottom