New Years Concert from Vienna 2024.

twiiii

Lunatic Member
I recieved my Blu-ray DVD today and as it was recorded in only stereo I tried playing just the sound on the stereo system. Very nice tonal quality , but the staging was about 6 feet deep and their was no famous Vienna Concert Hall Ambience.

So I had to fire up the HT sysem and do some trickery with he rear and side channels and some modifying of the front channels using some Dolby options available on my processor. Afer that the sound was much better. Though I definitely don't like it when DGG records the performances, at least the staging is correct and their is some ambient hall sound. Its just the instruments don't sound correct. That part Sony gets right. But why can't they use the sound tracks we hear on the PBS broadcasts. The staging is good, their is ample ambient sound, and the audience applause and clapping along on the final march is nicely captured. The mastering engineers at Sony prefer a dry studio orchestra sound it seems to me. What a shame. Now the video quality is quite good and have no real complaints there.

Back
Top Bottom