Our Crazy Hobby

jrsystems

I visited my dealer to pick up new interconnects yesterday. He demoed new Wilson WATT/Puppy 8's. They were spectacular. They were running on the new AR reference pre-amp and CD player and a Halcro amp. Real heavy duty stuff. The soundstage was unbelievable. An incredible (and incredibly expensive) system.

I went home and attached my new interconnects, Harmonic Technology Truth Links. An upgrade to balanced that I've wanted to make since getting the C2200. The wires finish off my dedicated two channel system, MS300 and MVP861, C2200, MC402, and B&W N802's with Harmonic Technology interconnects and speaker wire. I listened for a few hours last night after having listened to a serious audiophile state-of-the-art system that afternoon. I must say my system really held it's own. The WP8 system definately was better, but my system is damn good. I was pretty pleased. Also, the interconnects are brand new and still need some break-in (Harmonic cables do need some break-in.)

A non-audio-nut friend came with me to the store yesterday. He comes from money and was not shocked by the price of the equipment although he would never make that kind of purchase. Talking about the hobby, I pointed out that a colleague of ours bought a motor boat this summer and spent about what I have in my system. Everyone thinks his boat is just great and a not an unreasonable purchase. I think he went on it five times this summer and it is coming out next week. I listen/watch my system at least five times a week, all year round. The electricity for my system for the year will probably be less than his gas for his five rides! He bought his boat new and I would bet that my Mac's and B&W's will resell for better numbers than his boat. But we're the crazy people for spending tens of thousands of dollars on a stereo system. Actually, my ultimate dream would be to have my dream audio system ON my boat (Powerball anyone?)

My next investment will be a turntable, probably a VPI Scout or Scoutmaster. After that an MDA1000. I look forward to the day that I must choose between B&W 800D's and WP8's (or perhaps WP9's by that time!) What a hobby!

JR

When I was 19 I told my family what I spent on stereo equipment, they said I was insane, I could have bought a snowmobile for that money. I pointed out that I hate winter and don't like snowmobiling, they said that if I had one I might learn to like it.

At which point I learned that all logic fails with our hobby.

It's been 30 years since that coversation, winter still bites, I've been on a snowmobile once, ended up hospitalized because I got bored and tried to get it airborne. I did.

I listen seven days a week, rarely watch TV, and like you I consider it an investment, in my mind and soul.

Just before I took the initial foray into Tube McIntosh, I remember reading:

"This tube thing is like a boat - a hole you throw money into."

To a large extent - true. Acquiring two MC30 pairs, an MX110, four vintage Klipsch pairs, TUBES for it all......then the other gear in the HT - then having it all appropriately updated/modernized wasn't cheap. And that's been with the assistance of several dear forum folk who made this all much easier and less expensive for me.

But the main difference between these systems and that boat are the USABILITY. I can (and usually do) use and enjoy my gear daily - can't say that for a boat. If I were a lifelong sailor who lived next to water in a warm climate.....well, then I would understand. But since I have been messing with/listening to audio and attending concerts for most of my life, audio is KING around here - and the fact that I do use it regularly and enjoy it so much justifies the expense and effort.

I also consider my systems "permanent", which is to say that my gears aren't "flavors of the month" or something I plan on replacing. I am a bit rare here in that my house isn't an "audio warehouse" (although my wife may disagree) - most of what I have here is installed and used: save for some boxes of tubes, a couple of power amps, HT receiver and speaker parts, I'm not as crazy as some here who have garages and basements full:D

But most average observers do think I'm crazy when they come in to a room full of glowing tubes, chrome and speaker cabinets.......til they listen a while, and want to know how to get started themselves......and then yet another is addicted, and the cycle begins all over again :yes:

My wife says she would rather see me buy equipment that will last and will still be valuable down the road (durable goods) than spend the money on non-durables such as golf, Nascar, gambling,etc. (perhaps beer and martinis could be exceptions)

Is that an invitation to buy more Mac stuff or what???

We all try to rationalize the dollars spent on major purchases....the boater can't understand our fascination with this silly hobby and we can't understand why one would buy a boat to be used just a couple of days a year.

To each his own.....when the boater comes to your house in January and listens to a REAL audio system he will be gobsmacked (as the British would say) as I am sure he is the first time he takes the boat out in the spring. But you, dear audio friend, have the enjoyment year around.

Oh, and you can still hear music as your ears will not be wrecked by the noise of the Evinrude (sp?) :thmbsp:

Funny you should mention boats. Being into boats for the last 3 years, we just purchased a very nice Monterey cruiser (sleep away) the price of which would have bought a MCD/MDA 1k's, C1000, 1201's and 800D with money left over for music! Although my family truly did enjoy the 6 or 7 times we used it this summer, I would have enjoyed the above mentioned components on a daily basis.
Filling up it's 80 gallon tank at $4 a gallon at the marina=$320. Watching the tank go empty in a matter of 8 hours is heartbreaking. Trying to justify the components over the new boat to my family would be futile. When I tried to explain, they thought I was... :screwy:

I learned back in the good ole' daze, impressing others (including my spouse) isn't even on my plate. My hobbies are exclusive and I could give a care less what others think of my little madness.
If you get your kicks falling out of a perfectly good airplane.. GREAT (break a leg).
Going down a drag strip at 180 mph. (I'm into eighth mile@155mph..thanks) GREAT. Whatever! Please feel free to knock your self out ... enjoy yourself ;)
you cannot take it with you and he who dies with the most toys wins... have fun!
After working over 5 decades AND still putting in 65 hrs a week, the ONLY people that get my attention these days is the IRS and that's only once a year (Thank God).
Excuse me, I have to get a bag made for a new jib, the old one is too small.
pc

The 2 happiest days in a Bote Owner's life are the day he gets his Bote, & the day he gets Rid of It...I've found the thing is not to have yer own Bote, but have a good friend who has one...& to liberally stuff Twenties down his wife's Bikini when riding on said Boat. She gets to pretend to get all Mad & Inscenced-but doesn't offer to give 'em back, everybody gets to have a chuckle, & YOU'RE not thought of as a Free-Loading Cheapskate, & get asked back to ride around on the lake another day...

Bote, but have a good friend who has one...& to liberally stuff Twenties down his wife's Bikini when riding on said Boat
Hmm, I asked my wife, cause it sounded like a good idea, she turned the idea down but said I am welcome to try it myself and she will even get me a new sexy g-string... :para:

Well, the girl in question is a bit of a Diva, I'm a bit of a Ham, we've been known to put on a big production over the issue of the twenties...she'll accuse me of trying to Feel Of Her Ass, I'll act Shocked & Mortified, Then she'll really go off-You mean to say my Ass isn't Good Enough for you to Pinch ?!? Why, you old fat.... Then I'll look over at her husband & kinda go "Homina homina homina..." & he's sittin' there w/a drink, laughing his ass off, w/a "Don't look for me to help, YOU started it,,," look on his face...But he got his gas for the afternoon's boating excursion paid for,his wife got to play Diva, everybody's happy, big deal...

I find boating and McIntosh go hand in hand.

Both are addictions, both cost shitloads of money, both are a way of life, both can cost you relationships and tons of money.

That said, I enjoy both. The advantage to the McIntosh addiction is that its a year round hobby, while here in Maryland, boating is only good 7-8 months a year.

I have the same amount of money "sunk" in both. I wouldn't trade either for the world. Boating with a "mobile" McIntosh system is the sweetest thing you can imagine. Mc makes great mobile audio too!!! :rockon:

I love both hobbys and am truly blessed to be able to have both. I have no wife, no kids, no steady girlfriend. I date but no one for too long. Women have cost me more than both my hobbies combined.

I also have a C3 Corvette Stingray, with a ZZ430 crate motor, 4L80 trans and 3:73 rear. Not to mention the custom Corvette blue metallic paint job and a new interior. Again, another fair weather hobby. McIntosh is in the works for it too.

I spend more time with My McIntosh children than any of the other toys. When all else fails, it makes me feel good to be able to listen every day, rain or shine, cold or warm.

I'll probably nerver marry, but my Mc will never leave me, never complain, and always be here for me. Thats all any man really needs!!! :banana:

007:

:lmao: Owner..

73 Corvette Stingray :zoom:

1990 40' Silverton Convertable

Lots of McIntosh Equipment... :yes:

Hobby's for life.

I also was given a choice, 17, take my friends to Hawaii, or a home stereo,
Nad 2200,5240,1240,4155,a pair of 901's. Alot of money in 1987.

Current stuff,
MC 352,pair,MA 6450,Monster protection,Thiel 2.4's
2000 Holiday Rambler 36' diesel pusher motorhome
1996 corvette LT4 330hp
2005 Springer Classic Harley
1991 300E Benz
2001 Buell blast

Seems several of us have the same taste in hobies.I have a 2003 Baja Outlaw,Lowe Bass boat,a 1968 Chevy Nova that I drag race.It has a 588 ci BB Chevy,911.9 hp@6800 rpm758 lb/ft of torque@5500 rpm on the motor,1/4 mile in 8.67 seconds@156.46 mph.Motor built by Reher Morrisson Racing in Arlinton,TX.I quit counting at about $90,000.00 with trailer.The people that see the boats and car can relate somwhat to the cost,tell them my stereo systems cost over $30,000.00 and all of a sudden I am crazy,go figure.But I don't care what people think,I have never regreted any of it.I could not find a picture of my car but I will post it later.

macman007 said:
my Mc will never leave me, never complain, and always be here for me.
And if you trade your Mc in on a newer model, it won't cost you half your net worth!

Cheers,

Ed

Wow, I see we all love our toys! I hope I didn't offend any boatfoke. I love boats, but here in CT and with my work schedule I would never get enough use out of it. I am also a car freak and am in fact in the car business. Chrsf got my message, it's not about owning a boat or a sports car, it's about peoples acceptance of those indulgences while being utterly contemptuous of our audio investments. As also said above, I really don't care what people think about my audio indulgences (including my wife...especially my wife!), I am nevertheless fascinated by the ignorance of the line of thinking. Whatever...

JR

This phenomenon can be attributed to the fact that most people are simply ignorant when it comes to HIFI in general. How can one spend so much money on audio gear when Circuit City sells complete systems for under $1k? Not many "regular folk" have ever been inside a HIFI store so their frame of reference revolves around Circuit City/Best Buys. Everyone is completely aware of the price difference of cars/boats/houses/clothing, etc.. The difference in price for those possessions are easily justifiable, after all a Porsche is a performance car and has the right to cost 5x the price of Toyota Camry, a Rolex is a statement, is hand made and certainly worth 100x the price of a Seiko. More than that, the more expensive your possessions are, the more you are looked upon as successful, smart/business savvy, etc.. When it comes to audio, even a $10k system raises eyebrows and questions your sanity in general, after all all stereo systems sound the same, don't they? ;)

Back
Top Bottom