Time for the BIG speaker decision!

jrsystems

The wife greenlighted the MAJOR speaker purchase that I have been lobbying for the last year. Now it's decision time.

I will replace my B&W N802's and HTM2 center speaker with 2 new mains and a matching center. I will either keep my N805's or use the N802's for the surrounds for now.

I have been near-obsessed with WATT/Puppy 8's since first hearing them a year ago. I listened to them for 2 hours yesterday with all of my own reference music. They remain sensational although both the room and the equipment was not a good fit. His room is MUCH smaller than mine, maybe 14 X 16 versus my 22 X 20 foot room. He was using a stand alone Levinson CD player which I would deem inferior to my MVP861/MDA1000 combo, a CJ Art pre-amp which is probably a fair match for my C2200 and 140watt CJ tube monoblocks which are far different than my MC501's. The bass on the WP8's was very good in his set-up, but not as good as the last time I heard them with Spectral amps -that set-up kicked ass. So I think the WP8's would be significantly better and more to my taste in my system. These are definately the ones to beat.

I am going to go shopping next weekend to try some competitors. The Revel Ultima 2's are most intriguing; I will listen to B&W 800D's again, but I was not crazy about them the last time I listened; Sonus Faber Elipsa's per the recommendations on this site; Vandersteens; Magico (although I listened to the V3 last year and I liked the WP8 better and I would prefer a full-range speaker to the Mini); and, of course, XRT30's.

I have been wanting to make this purchase forever and now that it is upon me I am totally freaked out! Any opinions and recommendations are much appreciated.

Thanks.

XRT-1k

Hello Jr:

Do yourself a favor and listen to the new McIntosh XRT-1K. I own a pair and am very impressed with them. Your 20 X 22 room should be large enough for them. They have a tremendous sound stage and are very lively.

Good luck.

Sam:banana:

I think those are moving a bit out of my price and WAF range. If I can find them, I will listen to them. Ugh!!!

avalon.

I heard pretty much every speaker avalon has in their lineup now, and all of them impressed me alot.

and Audio Physic, although they might not be a perfect match with the Mc's...
and Thiel CS3.7's, awesome match with Mcintosh and beautiful sound.

happy searching,
& Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Thanks for the feedback. The Avalons are interesting to my, but I don't know a New York dealer for them (if there is not a dealer in New York City, that is not the speaker for me!) One of the stores I am going to is a Thiel dealer, I will check them out too.

These are all great speakers, but listen to Sonus faber elipsa before deciding....I am absolutely delighted with them.

Wilson WP8, Revel Ultima2, SF Elipsa, I don't think you will be too disappointed with any of them. In your 20x22 room, the Elipsa may be a bit bass shy depending on your expectations. Be sure to pay attention to the overall presentation of the Ultima2, they are very neutral, coherent and extended in the HF but again, depending on your taste for overall tonality and recordings of choice, be careful to make sure the highs are to your liking (beryllium tweeter). The WWP8's, be sure they really "engage" you overall, some people find them a bit "unemotional". B&W800D, after listening many times to them, I would pass... Haven't really listened to any McIntosh speakers so can't comment. Good luck in your hunt for new speakers, that is always fun, just make sure to make the right choice, don't rush, it's a big commitment.

Jr,

What I'm gonna say won't help you perhaps, but I own a WP8 pair since 4 weeks and I can tell you they match perfectly with my full Mc setup; I listened for the first time in march 07, and since that day, I was convinced I would make the big plunge one day.I listened to them many times since that day.

I too own 802N , which I really loved, and that I'll now probably use as front in my HT system I'm nowadays building upstairs .

The difference in price is huge; but I don't regret one euro I spent in WP8; they sound really fantastic, from low to loud volumes , on every kind of music;
the soundstage, the neutrality and the liveness are unbeatable, imho; I never heard such bass , and I think it's the more difficult zone for speakers . Medium and voices are gorgeous, the artist will be in your room, for sure, it's impressive.

Last but not least, wife ,who thought I became crazy after this year of total replacement, and who found the 802 to be aesthetically at her taste, said the WP8 finally looked gorgeous (Ah! the famous Wilson Gloss is something to see...); and they look a bit smaller , everything is OK.

You are at the best moment, when you know you'll change your speakers soon, and you just have to choose; the only important advice is the one of your ears.

Good luck.

Jean-Marc.

Have fun and enjoy the ride. I haven't heard the wp8's but after hearing the Sophia II's, and seeing so many of them at the RMAF at least three pairs. They still hold as one of the best I have heard so far. I fell in love with the MBL's though...

You're killing me Serge! But great feedback, just what I need to look for when I go shopping. I think we're on the same page.

Wilson WP8, Revel Ultima2, SF Elipsa, I don't think you will be too disappointed with any of them. In your 20x22 room, the Elipsa may be a bit bass shy depending on your expectations. Be sure to pay attention to the overall presentation of the Ultima2, they are very neutral, coherent and extended in the HF but again, depending on your taste for overall tonality and recordings of choice, be careful to make sure the highs are to your liking (beryllium tweeter). The WWP8's, be sure they really "engage" you overall, some people find them a bit "unemotional". B&W800D, after listening many times to them, I would pass... Haven't really listened to any McIntosh speakers so can't comment. Good luck in your hunt for new speakers, that is always fun, just make sure to make the right choice, don't rush, it's a big commitment.

Jean-Marc, your comments help tremendously -big validation of the direction I'm going in. We are of the exact same mindset. Thanks.

Jr,

What I'm gonna say won't help you perhaps, but I own a WP8 pair since 4 weeks and I can tell you they match perfectly with my full Mc setup; I listened for the first time in march 07, and since that day, I was convinced I would make the big plunge one day.I listened to them many times since that day.

I too own 802N , which I really loved, and that I'll now probably use as front in my HT system I'm nowadays building upstairs .

The difference in price is huge; but I don't regret one euro I spent in WP8; they sound really fantastic, from low to loud volumes , on every kind of music;
the soundstage, the neutrality and the liveness are unbeatable, imho; I never heard such bass , and I think it's the more difficult zone for speakers . Medium and voices are gorgeous, the artist will be in your room, for sure, it's impressive.

Last but not least, wife ,who thought I became crazy after this year of total replacement, and who found the 802 to be aesthetically at her taste, said the WP8 finally looked gorgeous (Ah! the famous Wilson Gloss is something to see...); and they look a bit smaller , everything is OK.

You are at the best moment, when you know you'll change your speakers soon, and you just have to choose; the only important advice is the one of your ears.

Good luck.

Jean-Marc.

I heard the MBL's at the Stereophile show in New York and they were awful! Something definately was not right. A few people commented on how bad they sounded, it was very wierd. I had very high expectations based on what I had read. The electronics were all MBL too (which were gorgeous!) I'll have to give them another try if I can find them, but I think they are a bit too radical for my tastes.

Have fun and enjoy the ride. I haven't heard the wp8's but after hearing the Sophia II's, and seeing so many of them at the RMAF at least three pairs. They still hold as one of the best I have heard so far. I fell in love with the MBL's though...

I heard the MBL's at the Stereophile show in New York and they were awful! Something definately was not right. A few people commented on how bad they sounded, it was very wierd. I had very high expectations based on what I had read. The electronics were all MBL too (which were gorgeous!) I'll have to give them another try if I can find them, but I think they are a bit too radical for my tastes.

That stinks, Someone at the audio show didn't like them either, I heard them playing classical music, and they just filled the room. I finally got to hear Quad's too. They to my ear's were so clear! It was weird when I heard the Sophia's on different systems, they could sound quite different also. Oh well, once again GOOD LUCK. What's so cool is your trying what seems like everything. When your done, can't imagine you not having what you really want.

For your price range and of the speakers mentioned so far, the W/P 8s are the cream of the crop. They can perform well in a larger room provided it is treated properly. They pair up OK with McIntosh gear, but if you really want to get the best out of them, you might want to look at different electronics.

Good luck.

I find the whole "audiophile" thing to be as much about the continuing journey as the destination. Very exciting to be locked and loaded for a major purchase. . . .

You are going to end up with an incredible system.

Back
Top Bottom