Phil Keaggy discussion

Ethan25

I was curious how many Phil Keaggy fans there are here...what of his music do you enjoy? What albums do you have?

My dad introduced me to his music through his album The Master & The Musician which came out the year I was born. I remember at an early age hearing it on the turntable. Now my collection of his music spans 65 cds and 20 LPs....

for those who haven't heard the name before, you really should look into his music.

For those who have, what's your favorite song of his?

(this thread was not to get into a discussion about Hendrix and Keaggy, FTR)

I think I have an album or two of his but haven't dug them out for awhile. A singer/songwriter/guitarist friend of mine once met Keaggy and they jammed. Apparently my friend was playing Keaggy's guitar when it cracked. He wasn't abusing it, at least the way he tells it. It just broke. Keaggy was cool but my friend of course felt pretty bad about it. It was not a cheap guitar. He wrote a song about it called "$7000 Guitar".

And that's my Phil Keaggy story.

I have a few of his newer disks from last 10 or so years, but his early work with Glass Harp is killer. A little bit Christian Rock, but killer Jam Band of that time.

I saw him perform a solo show in a local church about 15 years ago and it was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=phil+keaggy+glass+harp

Yes, his stuff with Glass Harp was quite amazing. I've got a live DVD of Glass Harp's performance that was broadcast on PBS back in the day. Here's a clip from it...

https://youtu.be/C1ya8WXSMgA

I think I have an album or two of his but haven't dug them out for awhile. A singer/songwriter/guitarist friend of mine once met Keaggy and they jammed. Apparently my friend was playing Keaggy's guitar when it cracked. He wasn't abusing it, at least the way he tells it. It just broke. Keaggy was cool but my friend of course felt pretty bad about it. It was not a cheap guitar. He wrote a song about it called "$7000 Guitar".

And that's my Phil Keaggy story.

great story. He's a very nice guy to meet. My daughter and I got our pictures taken with him last year after a concert in St Louis.

btw, I did a search on Keaggy here on the boards and saw there wasn't much discussion on him in the past, which is why I brought him up. I did notice much of the discussion was about his acoustic playing, but he can play the electric guitar with anyone.

https://youtu.be/lODOZDgBsPw

I know NOTHING about guitar. I have ZERO musical talent. All I know is when I hear Phil Keaggy play I Love what I hear. Therefore a totally no musician biased opinion. Close my eyes and whatever he is doing just makes sense in my head through me ears. I know that difficult to imagine from the standpoint of someone who plays guitar but trust me ignorance can really be bliss. How about his old album "Beyond Nature"?

Great music and a humble man of real character. My wife used to book Christian artists. Some were difficult and you had to wonder about their motives. Not Phil.

I know NOTHING about guitar. I have ZERO musical talent. All I know is when I hear Phil Keaggy play I Love what I hear. Therefore a totally no musician biased opinion. Close my eyes and whatever he is doing just makes sense in my head through me ears. I know that difficult to imagine from the standpoint of someone who plays guitar but trust me ignorance can really be bliss. How about his old album "Beyond Nature"?

What a great post! Totally agree!

I'm a fan as well and 220 is a huge favorite. He's in astonishingly good company with other musicians short a digit:

Jerry Garcia
Django Reinhardt
Dr. John
Hound Dog Taylor
Tony Iommi

Last edited:
elcoholic, have you heard his album Jammed!?

It's quite good as well. Listening to this one with my son tonight....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 9
Playing now,...

FC1A1466.JPG

1998 - Sparrow

EDIT:
I have 2 copies of this incredible CD. If anyone here on the thread would like to experience Phil Keaggy acoustically, send me a PM. I'd like to share his talent. The CD and shipping are on me. CONT US only.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom