Pickering XV-15 cartridge fans and users, spout for a while!

Hello
illinoisteve, where did you purchase the Pfanstiehl 4822 ? I wished that the EVG 4606 DEX had a .2x.7 diamond. I'm wondering how that compares to the EVG PM4216DE, that KABUSA sells ? Itis only a .3x.7 diamond. My 4606DEX is sounding great at 1.0g.

Hello
illinoisteve, where did you purchase the Pfanstiehl 4822 ? I wished that the EVG 4606 DEX had a .2x.7 diamond. I'm wondering how that compares to the EVG PM4216DE, that KABUSA sells ? Itis only a .3x.7 diamond. My 4606DEX is sounding great at 1.0g.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I might have got it from Andy somebody on ebay, I think the full-name of the business, in all the stuff that unloads at the bottom of their item listings is Anderson Music, or something like that, but that's not the ebay vendor name, except it has Andy in it. You could check to see if they still carry it. I bought it a couple years ago. I've ordered other needles from them. No problems.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I might have got it from Andy somebody on ebay, I think the full-name of the business, in all the stuff that unloads at the bottom of their item listings is Anderson Music, or something like that, but that's not the ebay vendor name, except it has Andy in it. You could check to see if they still carry it. I bought it a couple years ago. I've ordered other needles from them. No problems.

Thanks, I'll do a little research.

Think it may be Andydeals. I bought a stylus from them recently.

That sounded right. I checked and found the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/Pfanst...r_Turntable_Parts&hash=item3ef2a3156a&afsrc=1

I have no connection to the guy. I don't know if anybody else has a better price right now, and can't remember what I paid. His packing was satisfactory.

He seems to have a number of EVG needles now. Anybody could search his store separately for "XV15" "Stanton 680" and "Stanton 681" to see exactly what he has that would fit the XV-15.

Last edited:
Very enjoyable thread.

I recently acquired an early Stanton 681EE from forum member Beatcomber, who reckoned it was from around 1968. With it he supplied a gently used(I don't have a microscope so I"m going on his excellent reputation around these parts) D6807 conical stylus. I've been enjoying the combo immensely on my Garrard Lab 80 since receiving a few days ago, using it on records old and new. I'm not a stickler for details in my playing of vinyl(or in general for that matter) and so really a good conical or larger elliptical. I ordered an original Pickering .3x.7 elliptical D625 stylus from Vickers that should be arriving soon, and found in my stash of old carts/styli an original D6800EL .4x.7 elliptical in a sealed Pfanstiehl package. Excellent sound from that, if a bit rolled off. Again, I don't really fret about such things.

Anyway, thought I'd add my .02 to the conversation. Glad to hear that people are having some success with aftermarket products. One day I may give that a whirl too but life is short and if possible I like the real thing.

Ordered the 4606-DEX from Gary...

Ordered one of these myself on Tuesday - will see how it sounds. Haven't given up on the LPGear stylus yet but for the price and the comments in this thread, don't see any reason not to give it a try.

Alan

Jo Stafford's vocals have been telling me I need to run the VTF on my 4822-DEE at 1.75 gr. on her records, and she's very clear about it, too. ;)

After a receiver switch (1983 Kenwood KR-750 to 1971 Kenwood KR-5150) I was having some TT sound issues, including curious midrange distortion. Have it solved now. Was a speaker issue, not stylus, cart, or turntable. Pleasant sighs: Ah-hhhhhhhhh.

Installed the new 4606-DEX tonight on a Kenwood KD-2055. Stylus slipped right on to the cartridge. Quick setup and first run. Left the new brush on.

Running at 2.5 grams. Less and the stylus wants to wander. First impressions is I like it. I am running a DL-110 on a Pioneer and have less than a few hours on a Grado Blue on the Kenwood. Playing Tchaikovsky: Sextet.

The DL-110 is brighter on the strings and I have always liked the sizzle. The Grado Blue running briefly did not revel much difference between it and the 110 but the two tables do not sound the same. The XV-15 with the 4606-DEX shifts the register down just a bit lower, to a more natural sound. The strings, especially the cellos, sound very nice. You can hear the bow from start to finish on each note. The cellos have a natural, pleasing sound to them while the music in general has a more aggressive energy. The stage and placement is more detailed also.

As I dial this in and give it more play time, I think I'm going to really like this.

Installed the new 4606-DEX tonight on a Kenwood KD-2055. Stylus slipped right on to the cartridge. Quick setup and first run. Left the new brush on.

Running at 2.5 grams. Less and the stylus wants to wander. First impressions is I like it. I am running a DL-110 on a Pioneer and have less than a few hours on a Grado Blue on the Kenwood. Playing Tchaikovsky: Sextet.

The DL-110 is brighter on the strings and I have always liked the sizzle. The Grado Blue running briefly did not revel much difference between it and the 110 but the two tables do not sound the same. The XV-15 with the 4606-DEX shifts the register down just a bit lower, to a more natural sound. The strings, especially the cellos, sound very nice. You can hear the bow from start to finish on each note. The cellos have a natural, pleasing sound to them while the music in general has a more aggressive energy. The stage and placement is more detailed also.

As I dial this in and give it more play time, I think I'm going to really like this.

Nice write-up. I still don't understand why my 4606-DEX sinks at 1.3gr. But, it sounds great, no mistaking on my Shure test record, or other favorite test records at 1.0g.

Old and new stylus side by side.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN2617.jpg
    DSCN2617.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 184
Queued up some "George Jones Live" afterward.

I have played this one often but this time it sounded particularly good. The male voices came out nice and clear, the instruments, including the guitar picking and finger sliding, were sharp and natural, and the s's at the end of words were smooth. The stage and fullness continues to impress.

I lowered the TF to 2 grams but would not go less using this brush.

Queued up some "George Jones Live" afterward.

I have played this one often but this time it sounded particularly good. The male voices came out nice and clear, the instruments, including the guitar picking and finger sliding, were sharp and natural, and the s's at the end of words were smooth. The stage and fullness continues to impress.

I lowered the TF to 2 grams but would not go less using this brush.

Okay, (had a senior moment), your brush is down, so your at 1.0g if brush was up/off. Great !

needlestein,

I got that stylus 2-3 years ago, so I'm not sure that andydeals has the same stock now compared to when I ordered. On the other hand, he could have a stock from a different time period or supply chain.

I had a lot of trouble with that stylus when I tried to use it with my Dual 1229. I never thought of trying it anywhere near 2.4 gr. VTF, though, which might have fixed the problem. It does seem to track better on my ELAC Miracord 50H, and so I've just bumped up the VTF (from the recommended amount) according to what sounds better. Some recordings --hotter ones, perhaps-- may need more weight. Why some stylii with the same number have different weight cantilevers is an interesting question.

I'm wondering what method(s) people find being used to anchor the cantilever in the fore-aft and rotatory directions when they take styli apart to repair, do swaps, etc. Tie wires? Straps? Dots of adhesive goo?

Last edited:
Needlestien, your amazing. What sort of optical tools do you use ?? The other day, I took apart the Pfanstiehl stylus I got from Carolesneedles, that had a slightly off center cantilever. It came off, but could not line it up, when trying to install. Oh well, it was a $9 stylus for my XV-15. It went out with the trash.

Needlestien, your amazing. What sort of optical tools do you use ?? The other day, I took apart the Pfanstiehl stylus I got from Carolesneedles, that had a slightly off center cantilever. It came off, but could not line it up, when trying to install. Oh well, it was a $9 stylus for my XV-15. It went out with the trash.

kcblair, the idea of needlestein taking apart and putting back together stylii is a bit marveling to me, too. Do you suppose he does brain surgery in his spare time for fun as well?

Just got my Pickering D625 from Vickers and put it on my Stanton 681EE. Singing beautifully on the Garrard Lab 80. Was enjoying the D6087, but this is at least another couple notches up. So glad that Vickers is around to offer up a few original styli for these great cartridges. I will be ordering at least one, maybe 2 more for the stash. I understand the need/desire to buy aftermarket stuff, but here is a hearty recommendation for anybody in this thread with a XV15/681EE(E) to seriously consider this great stylus.

Back
Top Bottom