Pioneer SX 780 or Carver mxr 130

Ohmm

I've been reading your posts for some time and finally decided to sign up. Seems like I'm coming across a lot of old amps lately. I just got a Pioneer SX 780 from by brother. It was in storage for 10 years and is in pretty decent condition. Everything seems to work well. I also have a Carver MXR 130 that I used at home but the receiver goes in an out and there are some other issues, like one of the outputs (the A) does not work all the time. Repair is about $350 at Ritas Vintage Repair. They do a complete overhaul, regardless. I use Canton Speakers with the Carver. Should I keep the Pioneer and sell the Carver or repair the Carver and sell the Pioneer which needs no work? Hmmm I recently sold a Scott tube amp my mother was throwing out, and a nice Tandberg for an elderly neighbor. I think I should start keeping some of these.

Thanks,

Alfredo

Try cleaning your Carver with Deoxit or equivalent contact cleaner. I've gotten rid of many expensive sounding problems with "tech in the can". BTW, $350 is rip off unless they are doing a full re-cap.

Welcome Alfredo :) To be honest, its going to boil down to which you prefer, which sounds better to your ears. I have an SX-780 and I like it alot. It runs one of my bedroom systems. But I have never heard that Carver, though always have heard good things. I realize that doesn't really answer your question :D

Use the SX 780 and try to use Deoxit on the Carver to get it working again. After you use the Deoxit, do not use it right away. Let it sit for a day. Then do an comparison on which one you like the best. I would keep both of them.

"BTW, $350 is rip off unless they are doing a full re-cap.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is a full re-cap. That's the only service they will do on the Carver now.

Back
Top Bottom