Planned Obsolescence?

Take a walk in their shoes. Build the perfect product that will last forever first time around, and you're out of business fast. Main difference for me when it comes to audio is I can rebuild and restore the "classics", but newer stuff is basically built to self destruct AND be non-repairable. Even if you can by some chance repair one, it's not like you can find parts or the firmware to make it work again.
There is no accident that service and parts depts in new car dealerships is usually found directly behind the car salesmen and showrooms..

The potential is certainly there, with the possibilities becoming more scary than ever. Just the same, there are also plenty of examples where companies have gone above and beyond to support their products the right way. Creative for example. It took them only about a month after Windows 10 was released (2015) to come out with Windows 10 drivers for their X-Fi sound cards even though the first X-Fi sound cards were released 10 years before Windows 10 was (2005), and they have continued to release several more Windows 10 driver updates for those cards since then. That has allowed me to use my X-Fi titanium HD for a very long time now. Has that cost them money (from me not buying a new card)? Maybe. Would I have bought another Creative card if my reason for needing a replacement was lack of driver support for my previous card? Probably not. Has my existing card being so well supported granted them brand loyalty that has caused me to recommend them to others? Certainly.

Another example that comes to mind is with Nvidia, though not really audio related. They just recently opened up Raytracing support to cards other than their RTX series. It is to be done in software on older, non-RTX cards. On a technical level, all that is required for software raytracing is for the card to be fully DirectX 12.1 compliant. Strangely, when they enabled it via a recent driver update, they only enabled it on their more recent 1000 series. So you end up in a situation where, for example, you can do software raytracing on a GTX1060 but not on a GTX980ti, even though a GTX980ti is at least as fast as a GTX1070 in most cases and is fully DX12.1 complaint. Obviously they would rather have those people simply buy newer cards.

Best bet probably is to always keep it in mind, and evaluate each situation on a case by case basis. If certain brands develop a habit, you can bet it won't remain hidden for long.
There are always marketing strategies involved in any company decisions like these, but we may not be privy to the full reasons when they seem to run counter to a sustainable business plan . It could be that there is a market share element to some of this. A company has new products being developed but they are still a few years out, while others may be beating them to the punch. By offering updates on their older products could cause people to update and wait instead of buying competitors newly introduced products.

happens everywhere all the time.

cars: buy an early C5 and find out the ECBM is NLA and you are reduced to as-is junk yard pulls
watches: apple watch 2015, no longer supported in 2018.
phones- spend 1K+ and wait 2 years. watch that battery fail.

and your house that works, then you decide to sell, then wait for ALL the code updates you need
to make.

and finally, the 1959 mono recording of that famous jazz musician has been sold to you in
electronically mastered stereo, in stereo, on cassettes, on 180 gram pure vinyl,
remastered CDs, remastered XRCD (from japan), remastered SACD, enhanced
1-bit download, enhanced and remastered 24/192 streaming, and let's not
forget the DVD, the Blu Ray, and the very special 4K.

I don't have a problem with it in regards to an improvement like a newer model with better performance but to deliberately design something to fail is wrong. That's like a mechanic not fixing your car properly so you have to bring it back in a few months. Hey don't kill the job,right.

There is no accident that service and parts depts in new car dealerships is usually found directly behind the car salesmen and showrooms..

Please tell me I am being punked! So a car dealer should not have the service department behind the showroom?

I don't have a problem with it in regards to an improvement like a newer model with better performance but to deliberately design something to fail is wrong. That's like a mechanic not fixing your car properly so you have to bring it back in a few months. Hey don't kill the job,right.

But some lemmings HAVE to have the latest shit to show off so they line up to walk over the cliff no matter how a company treats them. The sad thing is that there is almost always another choice in the market.

It's important to know the difference between anticipated obsolescence and planned failure.
The end result is the same, if it fails and it is replaced too soon,or repaired too often, or it is unsupported by software too soon, you still feel cheated, and move on to another company.

Last edited:
I was one of the millions that fell victim to Apple's iPhone 6s "CPU throttling" iOS update. If you updated to iOS 11 it made your phone run extremely slow to the point of NOT being usable.
They messed up by not communicating what they were doing. But I found the slowed setting very helpful when my battery started fading. So much better than an unplanned shutdown. The shutdowns certainly would drive me to replace the phone more than the slowdown.

I would like to say "Thank you" to poster "Lossless", that was indeed a very interesting documentary! While I was watching it, I was looking across the room at my Sony ES collection. All date from the late 1980s-early 1990s, and working as well as the day they were produced. Sadly though, perhaps due to planned obsolescence, the cd players will inevitably die one day, and cannot be fixed due to the fact their lasers are no longer available. Sad, for such beautifully designed consumer goods. I also thought about American cars in the 1950s-1960s, where every year manufacturers changed the styling, to prompt consumers to trade or sell their perfectly good vehicles in order to get the latest and greatest, all in a race to keep up with the Joneses. And finally, this afternoon I went shopping for printer ink, and noted that it is, more often than not, cheaper to buy a new printer, than to replace an expired ink cartridge.

It seems life has become nothing but marketing - it's all about the money. I've never seen an episode of Madmen but do remember Darren & Larry in Bewitched.

Kind of an innocuous occupation back then but it's sinister now.

Can’t agree more!

Sinister it is. When will we stop monitizing amorality, and venerating the quest for the dollar...?

The end result is the same, if it fails and it is replaced too soon,or repaired too often, or it is unsupported by software too soon, you still feel cheated, and move on to another company.
I don't mind buying something knowing it will soon be rendered obsolete by newer products but still performs the job "I" bought it to do. I anticipate this "planned obsolescence" part of the game.
But to outright fail due to "planned failure" is a different thing, and takes money out of my wallet.
I wonder what it would cost us to replace everything in the house every 5 years.
Yes, I would be pissed.

8F8AA1F5-E242-49A6-8EC8-D8577BF552D0.jpeg B4B62604-3FC3-4F60-90C2-0D0C091AE537.jpeg
Basically a device, or manufacturer is good, if you think you got your money's worth, if it lasts longer, the manufacturer gets a great rep, but looses some of the profits from the next sale, if it doesn't last as long so the customer feels cheated, the company gets a bad rep, and loses customers.
Craftsman hand tools come to mind, they last almost forever, have a lifetime warranty, and even outlasted Sears. i would certainly go out of my way to buy them, but my toolbox has all I need, so unless I lose something, I am not buying. Then there are always new customers, and word of mouth is great advertising.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptilian_humanoid
This is the reason stuff is built to fail , corporations are taking order form reptiles from space ??? Fallen angels , poltergeists? Haha
My used car is trash dealerships are evil.
My dads friend sold me a car burns all oil and has a blown head gasket, didn’t bring my uncle to inspect it got a 7k junker . 4k + repair cost which I cannot afford it cannot go on highways

I don't mind buying something knowing it will soon be rendered obsolete by newer products but still performs the job "I" bought it to do. I anticipate this "planned obsolescence" part of the game.
But to outright fail due to "planned failure" is a different thing, and takes money out of my wallet.
I wonder what it would cost us to replace everything in the house every 5 years.
Yes, I would be pissed.

We dont replace things that often because the market makes sure there are alternatives to almost any product we buy.

And finally, this afternoon I went shopping for printer ink, and noted that it is, more often than not, cheaper to buy a new printer, than to replace an expired ink cartridge.
And that's exactly what I do. Printers are loss-leaders for ink. HP, Brother, Epson, etc. are ink companies now. They get pretty devious about it, too.

Nothing lasts forever. Everything not made entirely of rock is likely to suffer deterioration at some point, and even stone can't be expected to stay intact for more than a few millennia without perfect storage conditions. :rolleyes: It's more about how easy something is to repair if and when it eventually does break down. Something like a Model T or a tube radio/TV was generally expected to break down at some point, and was made to be (relatively) easy to fix using human hands and tools. A modern car or smartphone, on the other hand, is largely meant to be assembled by robots, and isn't built with repairmen in mind because, well, when it comes to consumer electronics, there just aren't many repair shops left, largely because electronic devices were refined to the point where they don't need to be repaired except in certain (relatively) rare circumstances. All we can do is preserve the older repair-friendly devices as best as we can, and do our best to learn how to repair them ourselves.
-Adam

Back
Top Bottom