Pulled these drivers out of a cabinet - Any info?

As a young teen my ma gave me the family console which I remember as being pretty high end. I had no interest in a console but had two oak crates we used to store wood for the wood stove in. I set the heavy crates on end, mounted the 15" alinco woofers in them and set a radio shack super tweeter on top of each one. I guess that was really my first speaker build and I remember it sounded awesome. Of course I was 15 and had no clue what good stereo sounded like, but I wish I still had those drivers.

My gut says they are probably very good. They are meant for full-range use (whizzer cone) so there will be some top end response.

Have you listened to them in the cabinets they came in yet?

I know I hooked them up when I first got them but I don't remember being impressed for some reason. But that was two years ago and my ears are better trained now. I'll definitely hook them up again and see what I hear.

No wonder you like the 4430-4435 and their Dolly Parton (or today Kardashian) horns...

BTW, that cutaway is likely of the 2231A/136A 15 inch woofer with mass ring.

Cool; thanks. Amazing cutaway.

Funny thing is, the "butt cheek" horns don't look like body parts to me. I get the comparison, but to me there's no strong physical resemblance. :dunno:

Now, looks-wise, these make me stand to attention:

page4.jpg

Last edited:
A pair of those "butt cheeks" is all it would take to get me started on my next speaker project. :D

Some of the Philips full range drives are very highly sought after. I think the one that really gets people going is smaller (6 inch maybe?) and was used, among other places, in some of the Sonabs, and you often find people who have found the Sonabs sans the driver (which was removed for full range use) looking for the replacement.

Philips made similar speakers back then using both AlNiCo and ceramic magnets.

I have this little beauty just sitting around...haven't figured out what to do with it because I only have one.

Attachments

• philipsoct81.jpg
    philipsoct81.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 8
  • philipsoct82.jpg
    philipsoct82.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom