Sansui G8K Protection Mode - What to do now!?

redjr

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi All,

Yesterday, I spen the afternoon, re-arranging my vintage wall, because I had to make some physical modifications to my shelving. None of my gear was ever altered, just removed and placed on the floor outside my office. It ended up being a day-long process, but I was making room for a new-to-me pair of HPM-100s. After it was completed, I moved everything back into place, and connected up my gear - in the very same way it was dismantled. No changes to equipment, inputs, or anything else other then the physical placements of my 100s.

First a short history....

Before starting this project yesterday, I had picked up my 100s from another
AK'er on Saturday, and hooked them up to my Sansui G-8000 (G8K) with them sitting on the floor in front of my gear rack. They played fine all day Sunday and Monday without issue using the G8K. (I know there's a lot of opinion and debate about the 100s in general and their sonic purity, but let's not go there now). In addition, the G8K has also been used with 2 other pair of speakers before the 100s. Now if you're thinking this post is about the 100s, it's not. It's about the G8K. Read on...

I've had my G8K for about 2 months now and it has been playing fine (at least to my ears). I've had some sources that didn't sound too good, but with a CD, it at least has played, and at reasonable volume levels - although nothing that would shake the walls. All the inputs work, FM works, etc. I know my G8K is very well aged and is in need of - at a minimum - recapping which I plan to do in the future. Or maybe sooner now.

Here's what happened... Once the rack was together and all gear connected exactly as it was before I started, I put a favorite vintage LP on my Dual and started to listen. The volume dial was set at about 8:00 - which is a very low to modest level. I then proceeded to turn it up to 9:00 and boom. The receiver went into protection mode and shut down the speakers. What the frig!

Okay I thought. I'd double check everything, try another input and see if I could re-produce the same result. I tried a CD on the AUX input and boom. The same thing. I checked all the speaker wiring, inputs, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. At this point, I was not sure what was causing the G8K to go into protection mode, but to rule out the speakers I hooked them up to another integrated amp (Technics SU-7300) and they worked/sounded fine.

My first thought was... I didn't do anything different except temporarily move my G8K from a shelf to the floor and back again. It was unplugged for about 5 hours. Did my G8K luck just run out I thought? In my quest to try and figure out what may be going on, I've started looking around on AK. BTW, I do have a service manual for the G8K.

My first stop was to check out the sticky threads. I've already taken some DC Offset voltage readings at the speaker terminals and here are my findings:

Right Channel: -5.3mv
Left Channel: -17.7mv

I'm not sure what all this means yet, but I'm open to suggestions as where to start looking first. I'm completely comfortable opening up the Sansui and taking voltage readings, but would like to know where to focus my attention.
Are there more likely causes than others when it goes into protection mode?

Any and all observations/suggestions are appreciated. I just would like to avoid having to take this in to a tech right now to repair.

Thx,

redjr...

I guess this could be a speaker rating and Sansui output thingy, because I just connected my poor man's bookshelf speakers (Insignia NS-B2111) back up and they're rated at max power of 120w. The G8K is now playing at about 10:00 without any issues. Huh? The Sansui is conservatively rated at 120wpc. The 100s are rated at 50w, max 100w. Is it possible that the G8K and my 100s now don't see eye-to-eye, even though they were getting along just fine on Sunday and Monday? I could see the Sansui shuting down if I was playing at excessively loud levels, but I was barely increasing the gain at all when it went into protection mode.

What would the result be of a shorter driver in the 100s? I've noticed that the mid-range is not putting out anything. If it is, it's imperceptible. The cone doesn't move at all. Is this a x-over malfunction?

redjr...

Back
Top Bottom