Today's JAZZ playlist

81FBbhSRuXL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Sorry to double post on this, Erik. Your coyotee post made me think of this.

About 15 years ago when I was really into Ironman competition, I was obsessed with training, regardless of where I was. I was in New Mexico on a fly fishing trip on the San Juan river. Me and two fly fishing buddies rented a cabin in a remote area of the San Juan. I got up one morning to take a long training run around 4:30 AM, and headed out before dawn on dirt roads. Just me and my sweats.

After about 2 miles under a full moon (so I had some light), I realized a pack of something was tracking me. It looked like about 3 or 4 four legged predators. For a moment my blood ran cold because I was concerned it was wolves. But in hindsight, it probably was coyotees. I remember running with everything I had to double back to the cabin. Whatever was tracking me followed me until about 200 yards form the cabins. I had nothing to defend myself. Thinking back, that really was a ridiculously idiotic thing to do. These days, I would not venture out like that without a serious self defense weapon. And to be quite honest, I would not venture out alone like that to begin with in broad daylight, let alone 5:OO in the morning when it was still dark. Crazy. What was I thinking?
I used to live in Albuquerque back in the 70's and my folks retired to Santa Fe and went there many times before they moved back East. NM is one of my favorite states.

I'm a senior tracker for the San Diego Tracking Team and am pretty competent at identifying coyote vs dog vs fox vs bobcat vs mountain lion. We don't have wolves (yet), but in the Preserve right behind my house we have all sorts of critters that we collect data on for our surveys. Coyotes don't worry me too much. I've seen them literally at my back fence and on surveys - very skittish of humans, but they will be aggressive of dog walkers with small dogs. Mountain lion are rare, but they are here, and have attacked kids out of desperate attempts of opportunity. So yeah, mtn lions are always at the back of my mind - when I see lone joggers in the Preserve with earbuds at dawn or dusk I just shake my head.

Good morning Jazzers.

I missed the daily Swiffty news on the Today show.
Did see my non rent paying under deck resident, Raccoons. Three returning home. We usually only see one large male. Morning or evening he passes right to left in front of deck windows. May be checking us out.
I'll be listening to radeo jazz in a bit, after coffee.

Good morning everyone,
Its was a balmy 47 degrees here this morning in advance of the atmospheric river on it’s way here. Erik and others of you on the west coast are probably getting it already. Our neighborhood watch chain is telling us that there are 3 mountain lions roaming the neighborhood killing penned up goats and wild deer. Knowing that has me rearranging my workout routine since my hiking loop takes me through lots of brush with limited visibility. My bike loop is out in the open so I’ll do that for now. I will set up 3 game cameras today to see if they are coming around here which I assume they are since the deer pass through the property almost on a daily basis.
First up is One Flight Up and I really like Donald Byrd‘s trumpet playing on this album.
IMG_0608.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom