Your thoughts on modding my Aragon Aurum

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say TI's..

those yellow Mexican film caps.

there are better grades of Nichicon (the green is Muse Bipolar, not what you're looking for). ELNA Silmic II is a great choice, too. will either of those be noticeable improvements? hard to say without trying.

I thought I would post a pic of the internals of a Aragon 28k since other Aragon model pre nudies were posted here.

1309621520.jpg

Very nice, now all we need is the 24k and we have the ultimate guide to Aragon preamp internals!
The 28k looks like it uses the 18k monoblocks as well.

Aragon 24k nudie

Ask and you shall receive. :D Below are two pics of the Aragon 24k preamp. There are some differences, but I'm pretty sure they came from Aragon like this. I know there were optional potentiometers. It looks like the caps in the power supply section are different in size too, but not sure about the uf rating.

Aragon24kpic2.jpg

aragon-24k.jpg

Last edited:
Of course one of many differences to be noted between the 24k and the Aurum is that the 24k has an on board phono section hence the additional circuitry. The Aurum depended on an external phono pre called the 47k.

Now all we need are some nudies of the external power supplies Aragon offered for there preamps. There is the small original one. There is an Aragon IPS which is an upgrade for some of there gear and a standard for others and last but not least is the Aragon Ingot which comes factory with the Aurum. I can supply a nudie of the Ingot, but we will have to find someone else for the IPS and the standard smaller one. Anybody know anyone we can bribe? :scratch2::D

Last edited:
While not to the level of the Aragon Pre's, one can still see a family resemblence... And it still sounds good to me! :yes:

Acurus L10:

ACURUS LS10 DSCN2886.jpg

Last edited:
While not to the level of the Aragon Pre's, one can still see a family resemblence... And it still sounds good to me! :yes:

Acurus L10:

View attachment 288471

Since this started out a mod thread, I will mention the following. One of the mods that screams out to me on the Acurus is the rca inputs and outputs. When they are done in a large plastic block form that is directly attached to the circuit board, this creates stress on the solder joints at the board. After using them for awhile (connecting and unconnecting cables) the solder joints will crack and cause problems. A simple point to point wire mod with new RCA jacks would resolve this issue. Nice unit though. I do see the family resemblence. :yes:

Last edited:
The Aragon Ingot

The Ingot power supply can only be used with the Aurum. Although both the IPS and the Ingot supply the same plus and minus 24VDC, the output plugs are different. The IPS has a 3 pin XLR, while the Ingot uses a 4 pin XLR. This was purposly done so that users would not accidentally plug the power supply cord into one of the Aurum's balanced outputs which also used a 3 pin XLR. If you change the plug, you can use an IPS with the Aurum, or an Ingot with the other Aragon preamps" [or other Aragon components that require an external power supply]. That also applies to the standard power supply: if you have the correct connector, it can be used on any of the external-supply components. The standard power supply uses the three-pin style connector.

Below is a look at a nudie of the Aragon Ingot power supply.

1311347199712.jpg

The following link is a fan page that was put together for Aragon and Acurus fans... http://hbassociates.us/Aragon_FanPage.html

Below are two more links that are very informative for all you Aragon / Acurus fans...

http://reviews.ebay.com/Aragon-Prea...rocessors-A-primer_W0QQugidZ10000000001649104

http://reviews.ebay.com/Aragon-Source-Components-A-primer_W0QQugidZ10000000002098082

Here is a link to Indy Audio Labs which owns Aragon and Acurus now... http://www.indyaudiolabs.com/

Here is a pic of the standard power supply used in some models like the 24k. A nudie would be nice, but it's out of my hands.

Aragonstandardpowersupply.jpg

Last edited:
Coilvoice,

I've thought about doing that very mod to my L10, as I don't like the circuit board mounted rca jacks either! Especially after seeing several Acurus Pre's on ebay recently (none mine), that were modded with new jacks. Some pre's with new caps too, as well as upgraded volume pots, bypassed controls, and point to point wiring. In fact, it may be worth it to do a quick ebay search on Acurus, as several of these modded units are still up for sale, and they may provide the inspiration for upgrades of existing equipment.

I did do a slight mod to my L10, by adding simple bypass caps. But, I moved shortly after performing the mod, and all of my gear has been in storage since. So, I can't comment whether the added caps made a positive difference in sound quality or not... :thumbsdn::thmbsp:

Stimpy

Since this started out a mod thread, I will mention the following. One of the mods that screams out to me on the Acurus is the rca inputs and outputs. When they are done in a large plastic block form that is directly attached to the circuit board, this creates stress on the solder joints at the board. After using them for awhile (connecting and unconnecting cables) the solder joints will crack and cause problems. A simple point to point wire mod with new RCA jacks would resolve this issue. Nice unit though. I do see the family resemblence. :yes:

that power supply just screams out to be upgraded with super regulators.

Shawn

Shawn,
Are you talking about replacing what appears to be Q102 marked on the circuit board and the matching one across from it with super regulators? I'm guessing it would do a much better job at voltage regulation. Do you have a part number, or value reccomendation to do this mod? Would there be any other electronics that would need to be changed out as a result of this mod?

Thanks.

Nice thread. My 18k mkII ( penny and giles volume pot) is still on active duty mated with two 4004 mark II amps. ( only one is in use at the moment) driving a pair of celestion sl600si monitors. If i can verify that the celestions are bi amp friendly i'll give that other 4004 mark II something to do other than sitting there looking tough with that V cut in its case).

My 18k's IPS needs some tlc apparently since there is a wonky connection somewhere. Ive have to reconnect it to the back of the pre every so often to get it to power up. I hadnt gotten around to it but this thread has sparked some motivation to get thattaken care of.

(Oh , and by the way, Shawn: mission accomplished with the musical fidelity x-pre. Thanks. The hunt still continues for a mate for my x-a50 mono amp. )

Nice to see an Aragon thread with some pic,s of the pre,s etc. Although there is some
information out there, it is sparse at best. I have a single 4004 MKII and if a 18k,24k showed up I might just take the opportunity to grab one.

Shawn,
Are you talking about replacing what appears to be Q102 marked on the circuit board and the matching one across from it with super regulators? I'm guessing it would do a much better job at voltage regulation. Do you have a part number, or value reccomendation to do this mod? Would there be any other electronics that would need to be changed out as a result of this mod?

Thanks.

look at the super regulators made by Dexxa or Burson Audio. They also have really good guides to installing them, they require minimal circuit modification for installation. Maybe some Hexfred diodes for rectification duty also.

I don't think your 18k is an mkII, it's hardware is identical to the mkII though.
What makes the mkII an mkII is a new face plate, very much like the one found on the 28k, and P&G pot as default, while it came as an option on the original 18k.
The 18k mkII seems to be the rarest Aragon preamp out there.

Link to pics: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/127957-aragon_18k_and_47k_

I stand corrected :) it's an 18K with the optional P&G volume pot. not an MKII. I remember reading about the differences a while back. I wonder how many of the original 18K units were sold with the P&G volume pot option, or did it just become standard near the end of the production run?

I stand corrected :) it's an 18K with the optional P&G volume pot. not an MKII. I remember reading about the differences a while back. I wonder how many of the original 18K units were sold with the P&G volume pot option, or did it just become standard near the end of the production run?

My guess is that most people who could afford an 18k could also afford the extremely appealing P&G pot option.
It seems that the previous Aragon preamp optional upgrades, became standard on their successors.
For the 24k, the IPS and P&G pot where optional, the IPS came after the 24k was put on the market.
Pictures shown in this very thread suggests that more upgrades where available for this model, or that changes where made during it's lifespan.
I have not found any information about whether the 24k can drive headphones or not.
Since it's monoblocks are different form the 18k, my guess is that it's not intended for use with headphones.
The 18k came with the IPS by default, and P&G pot as an option.
All Aragon preamp's except the 24k seem to use the same monoblocks as the 18k.
The Aurum came with the P&G pot as well as an upgraded IPS (Ingot) by default
The 18k mkII came with IPS and P&G by default.
The sales material for the 18k mkII says that it can be used with headphones directly out of it's pre-out's, by using an adapter.
Since the 18k and the 18 mkII are more or less identical, there is no reason to think this doesn't apply to the classic 18k as well.
As for the Aurum and 28k's ability to drive headphones, since they are both so similar to the 18k, I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to drive headphones as well.
The 28k/mkII are the odd ones of the bunch, integrated power supply's and no P&G option it seems, but it is partially remote controlled.
A step in the wrong direction in my opinion.

My favorite models are the classic 18k and Aurum.
I think the 18k is by far the best looking of the bunch, and it's simplicity is very attractive.
But if you need more power or long cables going to your power amp(s), the Aurum solves these problems, but adds complexity.
They have so much in common, my guess is that they will sound very similar, but with tough loads the Aurum should come out on top.

Back
Top Bottom