Diy Rcm

DougMac

I just completed my DIY record cleaning machine. Here's the main components:

VPI 16 to 15.5 UpgradeKit (http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HW-3015)
~$70
This comes with a new base unit, spring, tube holder and tube.

Technics SP-25 Turntable <$100. I ran across a great deal on the turntable. I had purchased a turntable from GW to modify, but it just turned out easier to use the SP15.

Computer Printer Table - Free
My office was updating furniture and was giving this away. I had planned to build a base, but I have room where the RCM lives and this was easier.

Vacuum Cleaner -$3 from GW.

New tubes - $12. Since I'm using the SP-25, the VPI tubes aren't long enough. I found a supplier of 1/2" plastic tubes and bought three six foot pieces, enough to make 20 tubes! They fit perfectly in the VPI tube holder.

Construction:
I cut a hole in the top of the printer table and mounted the TT. I had to raise the tube up. I cut a 1/2 x 4 piece of poplar, then drilled through it and the table. The VPI holder stops flush with the bottom of the table.

Underneath I mounted a large Radio shack hobby box. It has three holes. One hole is underneath the VPI tube. I used a block of wood into which I inserted a short piece of PVC. On the opposite side of the box (the bottom), I cut a hole and glued a mason jar ring onto which I screwed the jar. The PVC extends down into the jar. Finally, there's a hole on the side in which I insert the vacuum hose.

I used a Dremel on its router stand to cut the slits in the tubes. I then glued velvet ribbon on either side of the slit. Standard 1/2" plastic hole caps close off the end and allow for air adjustment. I made eight tubes; one "dirty" and one "clean" tube each for LP's, 45's, 10" 78's and 12" 78's.

It works like a charm and makes a huge difference. I could have made it cheaper, but for ~$200 I have what I think is a better than VPI RCM. See http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136898 for more pics.

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_4345.jpg
    IMG_4345.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 580
Nice! Wow. Who is the tube supplier? I go through $20 VPI tubes more than I'd like to.

Tubes

Nice! Wow. Who is the tube supplier? I go through $20 VPI tubes more than I'd like to.
I'll look it up. Try here, but I don't think it's who I used: http://www.professionalplastics.com...rrfnbr/85314/sesent/00/Acrylic-Tubes-Extruded

It's really easy to make. I cut two wooden blocks. to hold the tubes. I then adjusted the depth of the cutter bit to just go through one side. I dropped the tube at the starting point, pulled it along with the backstop guiding the blocks and stopped at the end point. I then turned the blocks over to cut the notch.

I used Elmer's Dot's to glue the velvet strips. They can be easily removed for replacement.

Doug

How did you find an SP-25 for $100? I know if I had one of those, it would be my main turntable.

Dumb Luck

How did you find an SP-25 for $100? I know if I had one of those, it would be my main turntable.
I just lucked up on it. I couldn't believe it. It would also be my main table if I didn't already have an SP-15 and a newly acquired SL-1500 MkII that set me back all of $15.00. It replaces a perfectly servicable Gemini I paid $25.00 for.

My wife was in my office just after I swapped out but before I put up the Gemini and observed I have a Plethora of TT's We won't mention the four RTR's. Darn AK! It's all your fault!

Doug

Looks nice, but it saddens me that you would use an SP-25 for this purpose. To me it deserves a nice plinth and arm to make music. Oh well, it yours to do with as you see fit.

It does look nice though and I am sure the instant torque works great for this purpose. Did you consider, oh, nevermind.

Go to Lowe's, Home Depot, hardware store and get some CPVC tubing. For end caps, you can glue plexiglass using PVC cement. Cut slots with a dremel tool, and glue velvet strips from Wal Mart or fabric store. Total cost for dozens of tubes, less than $10. One tube from VIP - $26. VPI acrylic tubes crack. The CPVC will not.

http://web.emeraldcst.com/~nitrofluffy/Equipment/VPI.html

Pretty cool, and great job! Looks very nice.

I don't know about being better than the 16.5, but if it's quieter, then that's a big plus! How many times, I wished I could somehow implement a way to get the Vacuum Motor out of the 16.5 Machine, and at least 20ft away from the work area, like putting the vac outside, while I'm inside in total silence! lol

One tip which may be helpful, and it's something I notice was implemented on the 16.5, and I'm sure other RCM Machines as well, is that the Wand's slot does not exactly sit situated perfectly vertical to the record's surface. It was purposely designed with a very slight cant, being ever so slightly angled, to increase the venturi effect of the vacuum, thus in effect removing fluids better.

The RCM I feel is only 1/2 the battle of getting records absolutely pristine clean. The fluids themselves will be a major player, and the better they are, the better the results.

Many, as myself, do use dedicated brushes for different steps, so no cross contamination of fluids occur, and some even go to the extent of swapping arm wands. I don't, but every couple of LPs I clean, I will remove Arm Wand, rinse with a bit of distilled water, and remove any debris build up with a soft clean toothbrush. I pat dry, re-install, and then continue on. Mark

Technics SP-25 Turntable <$100. I ran across a great deal on the turntable. I had purchased a turntable from GW to modify, but it just turned out easier to use the SP15

Your post has me confused. First you mention the SP-25. Two sentences later it has changed to a SP-15.:scratch2:

You used the SP-15 for your RCM, correct?:D

Jeff

Confusion

Jeff,
My bad. I have both an SP-15 and SP-25. It's the SP-25 that's I'm using for the RCM. The SP-15 is my main deck since I have a fair number (>2500) 78's.

Mark,
The original VPI tubes don't seem to be cantered much. By happy accident, I cantered the slit a little more than that and in the right direction. I seems to work great.

Since tubes are so cheap, I have two for each record size with one designated as the cleaner tube and the other as the rinse tube. I use Disc Doctor brushes after using Webrill pads to get off the first layer or so of gunk.

I use VWR Scientific's Labtone as my cleaner for both vinyl and shellac. It is made to clean glass lab equipment and leaves no residue. I then rinse with distilled water.

What really struck me most is how the run in groove is now dead silent. Of course there's very little surface noise now, even for my GW finds.

Doug

Go to Lowe's, Home Depot, hardware store and get some CPVC tubing. For end caps, you can glue plexiglass using PVC cement. Cut slots with a dremel tool, and glue velvet strips from Wal Mart or fabric store. Total cost for dozens of tubes, less than $10. One tube from VIP - $26. VPI acrylic tubes crack. The CPVC will not.

http://web.emeraldcst.com/~nitrofluffy/Equipment/VPI.html

Thanks. Prob is I need tubing to fit the VPI. PVC's too large an outside Di. You're right the VPI tubes crack almost immediately! They keep going for quite a while though, until they disintegrate from fluid in the hairline crack.

Thanks. Prob is I need tubing to fit the VPI. PVC's too large an outside Di. You're right the VPI tubes crack almost immediately! They keep going for quite a while though, until they disintegrate from fluid in the hairline crack.

CPVC has a different outside diameter than regular PVC. I have a VPI 16. The CPVC fits perfectly.

CPVC & PVC have the same diameters, although some manufacturers might be a little out of tolerance and you got lucky and found a brand that fits.

If the acrylic is cracking then it's probably a reaction with the cleaning fluid used, try finding polycarbonate rod, it has more chemical resistant properties. If you don't have a local plastic sheet and rod dealer (check phone book) try these guys www.usplastic.com or if you like the PVC these guys make clear pipe www.harvel.com, you should be able to call them and find a stocking distributer, Harrington has several locations and might have both types www.harringtonplastics.com Good luck

Jeff,
My bad. I have both an SP-15 and SP-25. It's the SP-25 that's I'm using for the RCM. The SP-15 is my main deck since I have a fair number (>2500) 78's.

Thanks for the clarification, Doug.:thmbsp: I realized the situation from the other thread regarding the SL-1500MK2. I just wanted everyone else to have a better understanding, if they hadn't read the other thread.:D

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom