This manual record cleaning/vacuuming system works great. (with pics!)

Brett a

~◦●○o0o○●◦~
Subscriber
This write up is in 3 posts, so please keep scrolling as you read.

I set out earlier this year to DIY myself an RCM. I set this system up as a “good for now” set-up, but as I got further into the project, I realized this system has its benefits, so I’m sticking with it.
It utilizes many tips I've read here on AK. So thank you to everyone who has posted on the subject so far.

Here’s what I use:

First, I had an old, cheap belt drive turntable in the closet. I took the platter and bearing out and mounted into a slab of MDF-like material (actually a chunk of an old teacher’s desk)
Simple:

attachment.php

(you’ll see the notch and the small hole at its base for the drive gear I decided not to use)

One reason I like this set up is because there is room to get my fingers under the platter to turn it.
attachment.php

Here's a wet/dry vac I picked up for $5. (I go to the flea market often)
attachment.php

The DIY record vacuuming attachment. Made from a crevice tool which I slotted with a hot putty knife and lined with strips of paint pad.
Tip: use 2-sided Scotch tape so that the pads are easy to change. I plugged the end, so it sucks through the slot.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 220_Bearing.jpg
    220_Bearing.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 3,540
  • 222_base view.jpg
    222_base view.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 3,540
  • 275_Shop Vac.jpg
    275_Shop Vac.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 3,540
  • 277_Shnozzle.jpg
    277_Shnozzle.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 3,622
Now that the machinery is taken care of, here are the other supplies:

• Record cleaning solution. I use a concoction consisting of 2 parts distilled water/ 1 part alcohol/ 2 drops of dish soap (per pint) As most of you know, there is plenty online about making record cleaning solutions.
  • Two natural bristle paint brushes One for wash, one for rinse. I have found that these brushes do a better job than paint pads. I buy them at my local Acme Surplus for 89 cents each.
  • Cotton makeup removal pads ($3.99 for 50 @ CVS)
  • A record clamp (got mine used for $20-this is the one I use on my TT)
  • Two platter mats (from two junk turntables) One for dirty side down, one for clean side down.
Now I know not everyone has extra turntables and vacuum cleaners laying around. But if you hang out around here long enough, eventually you probably will. :scratch2:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 027_what you'll need.jpg
    027_what you'll need.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 3,591
Now, let’s get to work.

Start with the platter mat designated for dirty side down. Clamp the LP down. I always start by cleaning side one ---helps me keep track should I get distracted. Seriously dusty/dirty records should be pre-cleaned with a damp make-up pad or a rinse under the tap (if you go for that kind of thing).

Using the paint brush designated for the cleaning solution, coat the LP evenly.(Careful of the label!) Depending on how seriously it needs cleaning, I let the solution stand for 30 seconds or so.
attachment.php

Then, with a fluid back-and-forth motion of the wrist, brush the solution into -and the contaminants out of- the grooves. This is where having a free-spinning platter is a bonus. You can rock the brush back and forth with one hand while spinning the platter into position with the other.
attachment.php

After a full minute or more of this brushing business, grab a clean makeup removal pad and gently absorb the fluid from the record. be careful to always use a clean surface of the cotton pad.And don't use a part of the pad you've been holding on to. I get about 4 uses out of each pad. Used pads can be demoted to nasty pre-cleaning tasks.
attachment.php

EDITED on 12/24/2009 to add:

I need to update this thread because i now have a two-schnozzle system. Which is to say i vacuum the wash water off with a different nozzle than the one I use for the rinse, and I don't use cotton pads at all any more.
See post #36:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3370260#post3370260

Now, using the brush designated for the rinse cycle, and with the same technique as before, give it a quick rinse-brushing with distilled water. No blotting now. This is the water you vacuum off the record.
attachment.php

Next, I fire up the shop vac, and holding the schnozzle to the grooves, I slowly rotate the record at about 12 rpm (5 sec. per rotation). It usually takes about 8 rotations- I do 4 each way- to get it completely dry.
attachment.php

Next, flip it over onto the mat designated for clean side down. lather, rinse, repeat.

For good measure, I’ll set it to air-dry while I work on other LPs.

This system works really well. The difference after cleaning is audible. And the difference from my old system of blotting dry w/o vacuuming is pretty drastic too. Also,I have yet to see a single black spot on my Magic Eraser stylus cleaner!

The down side to this system is that it requires a bit of set-up and tear-down. It's not as convenient as having an RCM in the living room. But I don't seem to mind.

Thanks for looking.
:thmbsp::thmbsp:

There are some minor updates on post #32

Attachments

• 025_what you'll need.jpg
    025_what you'll need.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 3,484
  • 050_Washing.jpg
    050_Washing.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 3,455
  • 060_Blotting.jpg
    060_Blotting.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 3,441
  • 070_Rinsing.jpg
    070_Rinsing.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 3,440
  • 080_Vacuuming.jpg
    080_Vacuuming.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 3,770
Last edited:
Great pictorial.

I have two questions for you:
1. Does it bother you to have to hand rotate the platter? In other words, would you consider a motorized version better?

2. Is there any fluid coming out of the LP surface? Have you considered planking side rails to the piece of mdf to contain any spill outs?

I have basically the same setup but put the vacuum inside of a box and made a clamp to turn the record. The clamp is just a round piece of mdf with piece of non slip carpet mat glued to the bottom. A dowel glued to the clamp is used to turn the record.

My cleaning steps are as follows:

Vacuum dust from record
Steam record with Walgreen steamer.
Add diy cleaner to the record. Distilled water, alcohol, and Kodak Photoflow.
Use record brush 10 rotations in one direction and then 10 the other way.
Vacuum dry with 10 rotations.

Works great and can clean a record in about 3 minutes.

Attachments

• 100_7311.jpg
    100_7311.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 612
Great pictorial.

I have two questions for you:
1. Does it bother you to have to hand rotate the platter? In other words, would you consider a motorized version better?
I did motorize it and pretty quickly realized that I much preferred working the platter by hand. I guess I could compare it to whisking a large bowl of eggs. I wouldn't want the bowl to be bolted to the counter; my two arms/wrists work in relationship to each other to provide a feel, a rhythm.
2. Is there any fluid coming out of the LP surface? Have you considered planking side rails to the piece of mdf to contain any spill outs?
Now that you mention it, the counter does get a little spotted in the line of fire as I brush the fluid into the LP surface. I make a point of being careful where I set the clamp down between record so as not to get it, and the next label wet. So far, (other than this concern) this is not a problem. I can easily vacuum up the excess water now-and then-no harm done. But now you have me thinking about some kind of catch system....

My cleaning steps are as follows:

Vacuum dust from record
Vacuum dry with 10 rotations.

Works great and can clean a record in about 3 minutes.

Do you use the same vacuum attachment for the initial dusting and the final wet-vac?

Nice pics and post man. Yeah as you say a nice audible difference ! I Just got home from the Lp store with 5 used that have been hand washed and dried with micro fibre towels by the store . I have one on now and lots of cracks and pops . So after seeing this post I will stop and take them in the other room for a wash , I am sure that there will be a big difference . Wish I had once of these years ago .

Good Job :thmbsp:
I like your idea of using a dedicated mat that only gets used when you put the record clean side down. That should cut the chances of contamination way down.
Think I will incorporate that into my VPI 16.5 cleaning routine.

Good Job :thmbsp:
I like your idea of using a dedicated mat that only gets used when you put the record clean side down. That should cut the chances of contamination way down.
Think I will incorporate that into my VPI 16.5 cleaning routine.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I always discarded the idea of RCMs as the just cleaned face of the LP would then rest on the filthy platter. But the Clean and Dirty Mats are a bright idea. If I may enhance it further, one mat could be white (for clean) and another black (for dirty). Or any handy color combination, just for ease of identification.

Well the disc I played earlier is now almost silent (Cooder's -the slide area) . I did 3 discs since my last post . I have not gone to the 2 mat approach nor the DW rinse .I am still using purchased solution so am somewhat on the fence on the rinse ? But I guess it would not hurt ,just the extra work. I'm a bit of slagger I guess :D

Do you use the same vacuum attachment for the initial dusting and the final wet-vac?

Probably not the best idea but I do. I use a nail brush to clean the attachment and if a record is really dirty I wipe it with a micro fiber cloth first.

Probably not the best idea but I do. I use a nail brush to clean the attachment and if a record is really dirty I wipe it with a micro fiber cloth first.

Same here and I take the wand off and vacum the strips after each clean , then fluff with the little brush .

This is a little off-topic, but what kind of turntable is that platter from? My Sanyo TP-1010 has the SAME platter and mat lol
old cheap belt driven turntable? lol

My record cleaner I just purchase is this machine and saw it on Michael Fremer's video, It's a Vinyl World After All." It's on the way as we speak. :banana:

avpi17f.jpg

Haha that's awesome. And here I thought I had a diecent TT! (I read the comments) oh well haha. It sounds good to me, and that's all that matters, eh?
Don't knock it man. (even though I might have :eek:). That was my main TT for about 6 years. I really appreciated it all that time.
There's always better gear out there. And when you move up the equipment food chain (as I bet you will if you stick with this), you will experience better and better performance. That is the blessing and the curse of this hobby.
So, try not to let my opinion about the 1010 get you down or give you wanderlust. Relax and enjoy...
:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom