Belt kit for a cT-F750 Cassette Deck..

jleon92f

Addicted Member
Hi,

I am repairing a CT-F750 cassette deck. Are there factory belt kits or just the main belt available from Pioneer?
A new belt kit was installed in this unit prior to me receiving it, the WOW&Flutter makes the music sound awful. I am thinking the belts are wrong, all the mechanicals work fine. I don't know if the Kits from WJoe will take care of this problem.

Thanks,
John.:music:

Last edited:
Hi,

I am repairing a CT-F750 cassette deck. Are there factory belt kits or just the main belt available from Pioneer?
A new belt kit was installed in this unit prior to me receiving it, the WOW&Flutter makes the music sound awful. I am thinking the belts are wrong, all the mechanicals work fine. I don't know if the Kits from WJoe will take care of this problem.

Thanks,

I am in the middle of trying to get a CT-F850 back into decent working condition. I ordered belt kits from both WJOE and Vintage Electronics. The kit from WJOE was missing one of the belts needed to get the tape counter moving, and the idler tire wasn't quite right, it was narrower than the original and had a small notch in it on the outer circumference. I also found that the drive belt from the FF/RW motor (reel motor) was too tight, causing the motor to stall. So I ordered the kit from Vintage Electronics. The idler wheel was better, and the reel motor belt worked better. But using the main belt (the capstan motor belt) from either kit gave me horrible wow and flutter performance. The capstan flywheel was oscillating back and forth at about 8Hz. I ordered the OEM belt from Pioneer and that fixed the problem. There is still too much wandering around of the phase when I look at a 10kHz signal on the o'scope, so I'm going to try replacing the pinch rollers next. I ordered a set on ebay from Germany. Just waiting for them to arrive.

So I'd suggest getting the OEM capstan belt if it is available for your model. For the other belts, aftermarket belts might work if they are not available as OEM.

Terry

I am in the middle of trying to get a CT-F850 back into decent working condition. I ordered belt kits from both WJOE and Vintage Electronics. The kit from WJOE was missing one of the belts needed to get the tape counter moving, and the idler tire wasn't quite right, it was narrower than the original and had a small notch in it on the outer circumference. I also found that the drive belt from the FF/RW motor (reel motor) was too tight, causing the motor to stall. So I ordered the kit from Vintage Electronics. The idler wheel was better, and the reel motor belt worked better. But using the main belt (the capstan motor belt) from either kit gave me horrible wow and flutter performance. The capstan flywheel was oscillating back and forth at about 8Hz. I ordered the OEM belt from Pioneer and that fixed the problem. There is still too much wandering around of the phase when I look at a 10kHz signal on the o'scope, so I'm going to try replacing the pinch rollers next. I ordered a set on ebay from Germany. Just waiting for them to arrive.

So I'd suggest getting the OEM capstan belt if it is available for your model. For the other belts, aftermarket belts might work if they are not available as OEM.

Terry

Thanks for your reply, that is the same problem I have here. The main capstan belt is wrong causing the wow and flutter. I have tried some 8 track belts in the past on other units and they work quite well.

Thanks,

I got a belt/tire kit from WJOE for my CT-F8282 about a month ago and all belts were present and the tires seemed to be exact replacements. Instructions were beyond excellent.

Wow or flutter may be caused by a hardened pinch roller. That happened to me on my R2R and also a JVC cassette deck. My capstan belt seems to be fine. I don't hear any wow or flutter on the 8282 but have not tried a test tape & scope either.

Michael

I replace the main capstan belt and readjusted the speed. Sounds Great for Now.

There was a difference in the belt width from the original.:scratch2:

UPDATE: Pre-Recorded tapes did not pass the test, trying something else.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I give up , it will go back on the shelf or moved out.

Only (1) motor? maybe it should be bigger, who knows.:scratch2:

Thanks,

Thanks,
Giving up? Have you tried adjusting the supply pinch roller assy for alignment and tracking? You did not state what you hear with pre-recorded tapes vs. your own. I've been working on my CT-F1250 for over a year. Replaced all belts and idler tire, rebuilt the motor and finally reworked the pinch rollers to remove the glaze. Results were much improved and then with with some tweeking to the alignment setting I was able to use and listen to my full array of cassettes and record new music. It takes time and patience as many things come into play, but well worth the results.

I can relate. I am giving up on my 8282 for awhile too as of Tuesday.

I've fought with playback channel fade out for like a month now... things were going so well... now it is back as if I'd done nothing to it at all. I'm not spraying any more deoxit into this stupid thing until I dig into it further.

AND rewind stalls out on long (big) tapes. AND it is making a weird physical squeaking / screeching sound like one of the belts is slipping when playing one of my pre-recorded tapes that I just got. This is ridiculous. :grumpy:

Michael

Giving up? Have you tried adjusting the supply pinch roller assy for alignment and tracking? You did not state what you hear with pre-recorded tapes vs. your own. I've been working on my CT-F1250 for over a year. Replaced all belts and idler tire, rebuilt the motor and finally reworked the pinch rollers to remove the glaze. Results were much improved and then with with some tweeking to the alignment setting I was able to use and listen to my full array of cassettes and record new music. It takes time and patience as many things come into play, but well worth the results.

I did notice that the wear pattern on the pinch roller was not in the center, this deck has seen TOO many hands. I have to start from the beginning. I did find out that it did work before it went to the repair shop.

It is frustrating because on most other decks you replace the belts and it is done! Not this one? And I have repaired my share of Decks, all different models too.

Thanks, CT-F1250 is a nice deck, I have a few of the other models that work.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Thanks,

I know the feeling. I have been working on a CT-F850 for way too many hours. Changed every belt, changed pinch rollers, dissasembled and cleaned and lubed every part of it. Even recapped the whole thing. Still wow and flutter is about 0.12%. Should be 0.04%. I will probably give it one more try this weekend. I'll work on the take up reel clutch assembly again. It seems too "tight". If that doesn't do it, I'll probably just give up on this project. I've already put in way more time than a CT-F850 deserves. I wish I'd started with a CT-F1250 so at least maybe when I'm done it would be worth the effort.

Terry

I know the feeling. I have been working on a CT-F850 for way too many hours. Changed every belt, changed pinch rollers, dissasembled and cleaned and lubed every part of it. Even recapped the whole thing. Still wow and flutter is about 0.12%. Should be 0.04%. I will probably give it one more try this weekend. I'll work on the take up reel clutch assembly again. It seems too "tight". If that doesn't do it, I'll probably just give up on this project. I've already put in way more time than a CT-F850 deserves. I wish I'd started with a CT-F1250 so at least maybe when I'm done it would be worth the effort.

Terry

I just finished an Akai and at least it plays correctly. Has auto stop issue still? Fixed the auto stop!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2730037#post2730037

Time to take a day out of the house...

Thanks,

Last edited:

Terry

My belt kit for the CT-F850 has arrived from WSJoe (its at my mom in laws, i dont have paypal) i hope it works, yours seemed like a disaster...its only the take-up motor belt that has snapped on mine......lets hope the kit i get is better than yours was.........

Did you inform the guy of the belt problems so he could put it right....he claims his belt kits are as good if not better than the originals........

I am a bit worried now......

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks,

The belts from WSJoe are perfect.I ordered one for a CT-F750 and it was a slam dunk.Excellent instructions.

The belts from WSJoe are perfect.I ordered one for a CT-F750 and it was a slam dunk.Excellent instructions.

I ordered my kit from him because of the instructions.....it will arrive here later this afternoon......after a good reading of the 8 sheets of instructions i may have a go at replacing the belts........

If OEM capstan belts are available from Pioneer, they are always the best bet. One dimension most folks don't know about is the belt thickness. Width and length are important. The OEM capstan belts are precision ground, and are thinner than I have seen ANY aftermarket belt meet. The thicker belt causes measureable, and audible, increases in wow and flutter. If the capstan belt is thicker than OEM, and is also a bit tighter, the wow and flutter will go through the roof.

Enjoy,
Rich P

If OEM capstan belts are available from Pioneer, they are always the best bet. One dimension most folks don't know about is the belt thickness. Width and length are important. The OEM capstan belts are precision ground, and are thinner than I have seen ANY aftermarket belt meet. The thicker belt causes measureable, and audible, increases in wow and flutter. If the capstan belt is thicker than OEM, and is also a bit tighter, the wow and flutter will go through the roof.

Enjoy,
Rich P

The capstan belt in my deck looks OK, i think i might leave it in situ if the replacement belt in the kit looks different.........

The capstan belt in my deck looks OK, i think i might leave it in situ if the replacement belt in the kit looks different.........
Sometimes slippage of older belts is attributable to a very fine dust accumulation, that is slick like talc. A good cleaning can make the difference. The 750, IIRC, is a nightmare of idlers and belts. Good luck to all.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back
Top Bottom