Some teaser pics of a current Redboy project

Redboy

a few good watts
Subscriber
This project has been moving at a slower pace than I anticipated, but I need to give a shout out to Dave C for helping me solve my problem of how to make giant holes in thick aluminum! :thmbsp:

Dave's thread, Hole saws and aluminum

Here's how they turned out...

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

Some great looking metal and holes.. So whatcha building? I don't think I've seen that thread...

You sure take the fun outta it... does look like a couple of big cap cans on the one plate... hhhmm.. I'm thinking it's gonna have a lotta big tubes on it too..

I sure don't. I'm not good at knowing what kinds of amps use what kinds of tubes.. plus knowing you.. there's no telling what style you're gonna build next..

yep.. those are some huge caps, but I don't have enough knowledge of amps to even begin guessing... but I'm thinking they may have a little bit of power to them..

hhhmm.. but now that I think about it.. not much space for tubes.. :scratch2:

A pair even....nice!
A mirrored pair! :)

yep.. those are some huge caps, but I don't have enough knowledge of amps to even begin guessing... but I'm thinking they may have a little bit of power to them..

hhhmm.. but now that I think about it.. not much space for tubes.. :scratch2:
The big caps are two and a half inches in diameter, and cutting holes for them is a bear!

Don't worry simi, we'll fit all the tubes we need to on each chassis.

Oh, and when you say, "a little bit of power," you're right. These will have only a little bit of power...

I got all excited yesterday after successfully cleaning the level controls on a pair of speakers and then I see something like this. You guys amaze me.

Very nice Nate!! Those turned out beautifully. Now do you have any patience left? :D Mirrored pair of mono blocks? Hmmmmm.

I always knew you were a clean-cut guy, Nate. :D

Is that 1/4" 6061 you're dealing with there? And that is definitely a good tip/trick you linked to for getting an even hole :thmbsp:.

Hey Red, nice cuttin' I like the fly cutter better for it's accurcy but the hole saws are just easier to use. I'm getting ready to start cutting and drilling my top plates for the GM70 amp....this is the fun stuff.

Sweet! Your finally really getting them going now :yes: Care to share the output tube you are going with?

RC

Couldn't begin to guess what you are building. The siamesed holes are throwing me off. Great work though. I like the sub-panel design.

I always knew you were a clean-cut guy, Nate. :D

Is that 1/4" 6061 you're dealing with there? And that is definitely a good tip/trick you linked to for getting an even hole :thmbsp:.
Hey Lance, it's 3/16" 6061, but who's measuring? Definitely nice stuff to work with. The tip Dave C provided was a lifesaver. No way this would have worked without it - those hole saws wobble all over the place without the guide!

Hey Red, nice cuttin' I like the fly cutter better for it's accurcy but the hole saws are just easier to use. I'm getting ready to start cutting and drilling my top plates for the GM70 amp....this is the fun stuff.
Dennis, I happened on a picture of a fly cutter in action the other day, and it looked pretty slick!

All work was done with a cheap drill press, some step bits (for the smaller holes) and a couple of hole saws.

Couldn't begin to guess what you are building. The siamesed holes are throwing me off. Great work though. I like the sub-panel design.
The siamese holes are for the capacitor terminals. The design plan here is to eliminate unnecesary fasteners from the top plate. Most screw heads and all tube socket retainers will be mounted on the sub-panel, and the sub-panel itself holds the caps in place - the caps have a collar that prevents them from sliding up through the top panel, and the sub-panel locks them into place. :thmbsp:

Here's how it looks underneath - I haven't drilled all the little fastener holes yet for sockets and such:

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

The holes came out pretty nice. Are you using a drill press? I am thinking of getting one.

Oops, didn't see page two.

The sub plate is a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom