Rogers Majestic R186

mattybass

Young Audiophile
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but it technically is tube audio... and old tube audio to boot.

I went to pick up a late 70's B&O receiver/turntable and the owner had two OLD radios next to it. He offered me this Rogers Majestic R186 tube radio for $20, and I couldn't resist. The unit is functioning as he was able to pull in local AM radio stations. A lightbulb on the right-hand side even lights up when the unit is powered on!! :banana: After taking a look at home, it looks like the unit is using the original tubes, or at least was repaired using genuine Rogers Majestic tubes, but I have no clue. Take a look at the photos and perhaps someone can inform me of the true age of the tubes. From what I could tell, all the tubes were glowing (even the one that is charred black inside).

I don't know a thing about tube audio, especially anything before the 70s. I'm hoping anyone can shed some light on the situation and tell me I made a good decision in getting this unit for $20. Also, would you guys restore the wood finish or keep it as it is? Tomorrow I plan to use my compressor and gently blow out the cobwebs and dirt from inside so that the unit doesn't start on fire. I also need to replace the plug as it has exposed wire. I have one that looks exactly the same which is nice.

Anyway...

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3630.jpg

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

IMG_3633.jpg

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

If it was American, I'd say early '40s, since short-wave wasn't as popular after the war. In Canada, FM didn't spread as fast, so it could be as late as early '50s. I have a CD of Canadian radio schematics at home - email and I'll see if it's there. tbavis(at)rochester(dot)rr(dot)com

I found a website with schematics (although the link to the schematic doesn't actually work) and it says these were made 1946-47.

Cabinet looks like it wouldn't be too hard to refinish and the chassis looks like it's in great condition. It appears to have a transformer and a choke in the power supply so it isn't a low level model and you shouldn't have to worry about hot chassis issues. Also, the smokey looking tube most likely was made to look that way.

I'd say it's a prime candidate for a refurb/refinish if you think stuff like that is fun to do.

I definitely could not do that myself without breaking it. I may consider refinishing the wood myself but I don't dare touch any of the electronics or tubes for fear of breaking them.

I don't dare touch any of the electronics or tubes for fear of breaking them.

This is the perfect item to learn how to do all that stuff if you are so inclined. I doubt it will have much value even in a completely restored state so you don't have much to lose. Soldering isn't difficult and I'd doubt you'd spend more than $20 on new capacitors.

Is that right? Well I wouldn't mind expanding my mind... keep in mind I don't have much experience with electronics... I know some basics but not a whole lot. I can solder though. Any ideas where I should begin?

Find a schematic, post it here and we'll tell you which caps need to be replaced. Basically anything that's a paper, film or electrolytic cap will need to be swapped. Since the radio still works it should be pretty straightforward with minimal troubleshooting.

Schematic (weird circuit!)

Here is your schematic. This is a funny circuit: standard AA5 tube setup,
but with a power transformer for the B+ supply. Great find, should
be simple to work on, just don't disturb the tuning slugs in the IF
transformers and be careful around the SW and BC oscillator coils.
Keep reading about old radios in the antique radio forum at videokarma.com.
Good luck, all questions gladly answered.

P.S.: another interesting feature is the use of a choke in the power
supply, a bit of overkill in a radio with a single 50L6GT output tube.
Should be essentially hum-free when properly restored.

Attachments

• rm-106.jpg
    rm-106.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom