• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's the best tube system you have ever heard?

FretsNkeys

New Member
I'd like to know from folks who have heard more than one system, what the best tube "system" you ever heard was. Regardless of price or power rating.

"System" implies synergy between components, so by all means...

And please detail out what speakers and tubes the system was running with.

Please also note what you are comparing the system to. If you have only heard solid state Coby gear, a Zenith television you heard a year ago might have rocked your world. So please tell us a few of the other systems you have time in with.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I run Fisher tube gear myself, and a Kenwood KA-9100 SS amp on Dahlquist DQ-10s. Heard some really nice/expensive gear at the AK Fest too. But the best I've heard was Quicksilver EL-34 amps driving BMS compression drivers on a JBL horn, with AE Lambda TD15M woofers. Close second was a restored Fisher 500C driving EV speakers (SP15, 1823M, ST350).
 
I have been into stereo gear for a long time. Now it is called vintage. It has been 35+ years and I have never listened to a tube system. I believe my oldest brothers first receiver, a hand down from dad, was a Sansui 500. I think that was tube, but I was only 9 or 10 then. Someday...:yes:
 
Thorens TD-125 Mk II*SME 3009*SHURE M97XE*COUNTERPOINT SA-7.1*DYNACO ST70*JBL L56*
The best that I've heard is my system. lol. Unless you have the system(s) in front of you, that's the only way you will hear which is the worst sounding. The best sound? You got to have a very good ear to remember the sound once you go from one system to another, meaning a friends house to your house to be more specific. You cant really compare as we all have different listening areas. There are some systems that will sound not that great on your firsrt minute of audition but will sound better or great once you spend more time listening. Some will sound great the first minute and then you'll notice the negatives as you go on listening. Sometimes you thought one system you heard was the best never knowing yours was better than best. My 2 cents.​
 
Last edited:
Bang and Olufsen 4004 turntable
Audio Research tube pre
Linear Research 60w monoblocks (PP 6550's)
Bang and Olufsen Beovox 5702 speakers


the speaker will be coming home with me at some point, the guy has 6 of the monoblocks, so when i get serious money, I might try to buy a pair
 
Don't remember the whole system but I do remember the amps...

A pair of monoblock Atma-sphere MA1 that had been updated to MAIII specs.

Soon as I've saved enough pennies, I'm buying a pair of those myself. :yes:

They are my "holy grail" if there ever was one.

ma1nw.jpg


Scott
 
Last edited:
Don't remember the whole system but I do remember the amps...

A pair of monoblock Atma-sphere MA1 that had been updated to MAIII specs.

Soon as I've saved enough pennies, I'm buying a pair of those myself. :yes:

They are my "holy grail" if there ever was one.

ma1nw.jpg


Scott


Dang Scott, you might consider saving nickles instead of pennies, just for the cost of the tubes alone in those monsters.
 
Best all tube system I have heard was when I tried my tube amp in my main rig:

ProJect Perspective with Benz Micro Ace
ProJect Tube Box II
Jolida 801A
Polk SDA 1C's

Not a world beater but very nice.
 
There are three systems that I feel are competeting for the top tube system I've heard.

First would be the Bottlehead/Tape project system at the last VSAC. A sort of triamped system with one amp per woofer, four amps in series for the mid range and a single amp for the RAAL ribbon tweeter. That's all, just nine amps per channel (18 2A3 amps total!). BTW: It sounded great.

17.jpg


Next would be Lowther America's Lowther/Tone Tubby OB driven by Jeffery Jackson's plywood amp (which I can't describe, see picture). It did a wonderful rendition of everything played on it.

The amp:

87.jpg



The OB speakers and amp:

2.jpg


Perhaps the best that I've ever heard is Jeffery Jackson's Experience Music quad horn system (4.1 quad amped). The drivers on the horns are all GOTO. Absolutely stunning sound.

experience1.jpg


Best Regards,
TerryO
 
Last edited:
There are three systems that I feel are competeting for the top tube system I've heard.

First would be the Bottlehead/Tape project system at the last VSAC. A sort of triamped system with one amp per woofer, four amps in series for the mid range and a single amp for the RAAL ribbon tweeter. That's all, just nine amps per channel (18 2A3 amps total!). BTW: It sounded great.

17.jpg


Next would be Lowther America's Lowther/Tone Tubby OB driven by Jeffery Jackson's plywood amp (which I can't describe, see picture). It did a wonderful rendition of everything played on it.

The amp:

87.jpg



The OB speakers and amp:

2.jpg


Perhaps the best that I've ever heard is Jeffery Jackson's Experience Music quad horn system (4.1 quad amped). Absolutely stunning sound.

experience1.jpg


Best Regards,
TerryO

Holy Carp!! I bet my wife would love for me to have that. Check out that amp!
 
Best tube system I ever heard was everyone of them that I've built.:D I think taking a pile of parts and making something nice out of it tends to sway your opinion though. Best one I heard that I didn't build would be the Bogen Amps that Micah built for dnewman on dnewman's speakers. Some Asian dude had brought a classical CD in and asked them to crank it and they did. I would be closing my eyes waiting for it to break up on the creshendos but they never even phased it. It handled that VERY complicated piece of music like it was a Disney tune . Damned impressive, and real lucky to have been there.
 
Best tube system I ever heard was everyone of them that I've built.:D I think taking a pile of parts and making something nice out of it tends to sway your opinion though. Best one I heard that I didn't build would be the Bogen Amps that Micah built for dnewman on dnewman's speakers. Some Asian dude had brought a classical CD in and asked them to crank it and they did. I would be closing my eyes waiting for it to break up on the creshendos but they never even phased it. It handled that VERY complicated piece of music like it was a Disney tune . Damned impressive, and real lucky to have been there.

Were the Bogus Amps driving his Unity Horns? That's one set-up I would really like to hear as it's a more realistic system than the one's that I've posted above.

Best Regards,
TerryO
 
Were the Bogus Amps driving his Unity Horns? That's one set-up I would really like to hear as it's a more realistic system than the one's that I've posted above.

Best Regards,
TerryO

No I missed those, they were driving a big boxed woofer with a pair of what looked like bookshelf speakers on top for the highs. It really was amazing. I don't know who's smarter Micah or dnewman, but when you put their heads together good **** happens.:music:
 
Don't remember the whole system but I do remember the amps...

A pair of monoblock Atma-sphere MA1 that had been updated to MAIII specs.

Soon as I've saved enough pennies, I'm buying a pair of those myself. :yes:

They are my "holy grail" if there ever was one.

ma1nw.jpg


Scott

When you get those Scott, give me a hollar and I'll come put in one of those ductless mini split air conditioners for ya, they are whisper quiet and have a sweeping motion on the air stream. (no charge for labor of course).
 
I hooked up my Rek-O-Kut b12 with it's Ortofon OM78 cartridge to my Bell 2521 mono receiver and played it through a single Definive Technology speaker. I almost passed out while listening to Lightnin' Hopkins off a 78. Seriously, I sat down, fell back and laughed.

The Bell 2521 is a 14 watt el84/ez81 rectified integrated amp plus a tuner. I need an Altec 604 to fall in to my lap.
 
The best I ever heard is my little Leak st20 restored by Paul Greenfield in England.
It just sounds magical to me.
Sure, I know there is better, but what I don't know can't hurt me :)
 
I hooked up my Rek-O-Kut b12 with it's Ortofon OM78 cartridge to my Bell 2521 mono receiver and played it through a single Definive Technology speaker. I almost passed out while listening to Lightnin' Hopkins off a 78. Seriously, I sat down, fell back and laughed.

The Bell 2521 is a 14 watt el84/ez81 rectified integrated amp plus a tuner. I need an Altec 604 to fall in to my lap.

Yeah, I've had a couple weak knee moments like that playing in a jazz quint I used to jam with. We did a few shows in front of 1000+ crowds, and the combo of good sonics and great chops all fusing together is a sum way greater than the parts. I have had a couple "makes my fur rise" moments with Hifi, but nothing like being part of makig the music.
 
Best tube system I ever heard was everyone of them that I've built.:D I think taking a pile of parts and making something nice out of it tends to sway your opinion though. Best one I heard that I didn't build would be the Bogen Amps that Micah built for dnewman on dnewman's speakers. Some Asian dude had brought a classical CD in and asked them to crank it and they did. I would be closing my eyes waiting for it to break up on the creshendos but they never even phased it. It handled that VERY complicated piece of music like it was a Disney tune . Damned impressive, and real lucky to have been there.

I'd love to hear one of your amps. Having built a few guitars, I can relate to that satisfaction. I oce recorded a Fingerstyle guitar compilation and had about 15 guitar players all show up with high end hand made guitars. About 30 guitars total. I hear this Ryan guitar that just blew away everything I ever heard. I will always have that to compare to for anything I build.
 
The best tube system will depend a lot upon the tubes, the room it is in, and the frequency response of your ears.

Plus, you have to be able to afford it.

Try this site: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/etv.mpl?forum=vintage

Look for the "Technonlogy 1-6" to begin to understand.

Right now, the best kitchen system I've heard is the HeathKit W4M I gutted and rebuilt, Dynaco FM3 tuners I've rebuilt and modified, I-Pod, AC cords made out of mil surplus 12 ga stranded teflon coated wire into Paradigim Titan speakers that I replaced the stock caps with Teflon caps from the USSR.

For many months I have been playing around with different tubes in a Fisher 200B tuner, finding the best sound I could to go with the Russian K40Y PIO caps I installed the Fisher. Recently I decided to start listening to my I-Pod again--it sounded strident an harsh. I tried a couple of different 6SN7G tubes in the monoblocks--aaaaah, depth, detail, no harshness, no stridency.

Best from Tucson
Bob
 
Back
Top Bottom